SiouxSports.com Forum

Nice Character Win for UND...

Goon

Wew, what a great win, I was dancing around my hotel room.

Siembieda beter tonight. 17/19 and a .894 save percentage. I can deal with that.

Zach comes back strong for two more points. What a great night. Now UND can hopefully get on a run. 7-1. Not too bad...

I think the Defense has really played better this season.

Siembeda saved the last 12 after giving up 2 on the first 7, several of the saves were big, just what the Sioux need.

Super work by Notermann outworking the much bigger Peters to break lose the puck leading to Massen's goal.

PP has got to improve if penalties continue to be called at this rate. Hope we don't see Adam for the rest of the year.

Big win for the Sioux. It's just the second league game of the season, and on the road, but you just have to collect points when you can, and the Sioux played well enough to earn points this weekend.

Like in the Michigan game, it seemed just about over until Parise made a great play in last five minutes to tie it up. With five minutes left, the game had slowed to a crawl, with hardly a chance by either team, and it seemed like the Sioux were going to go home swept. So great effort by the team to get points, first one, and then the second one, tonight.

Tim and Berry very complimentary of Notermann's work in the OT. Berry thinks he has really stepped his game up this year.

Also fantastic job shutting SC down for almost the whole game. When SC's big line did have a few great chances late in the second, Josh made the big saves and kept the team in the game.

I agree, Goon, it was a great character win. Good job by the guys especially limiting SCSU to 19 shots on goal, a team that came into the series averaging 36 shots on goal.

I'm very pleased to see Massen stepping up his game and scoring some key goals. Good job by Siembida, although Hennessy said he thought the second Husky goal was weak.

The key seems to be either to limit the oppostion's shots on goal or to score lots of goals. I'm not convinced that UND's goalie problems are over, but everybody did what they had to do go get a win, and this is a big win.

It might be safe to assume that James Massen has arrived and will live up to the billing that he came here with. I think James kind of reminds me of a former Bruins Player Cam Bam Neely. I know its early in his career, I love a big power forward who can score and hit.

Three goals in three games not too bad eh?

Siembeda saved the last 12 after giving up 2 on the first 7, several of the saves were big, just what the Sioux need.

Super work by Notermann outworking the much bigger Peters to break lose the puck leading to Massen's goal.

PP has got to improve if penalties continue to be called at this rate. Hope we don't see Adam for the rest of the year.

The more I watch Notermann play (and hear of his play), the more I like this kid. He has developed into one of the best players in the league. He may not score a ton of goals (although it looks like he could do that this year) he does so many other things on the ice that sometimes go unnoticed by the fans. In his rookie season in 99-2000, he looked like just another good player. I realy took notice of him (and Spei) the following year in the NCAA tourney. Blais put them up against CC's top line and they were awesome. They turned around and played another great game against Michigan State (didn't Spiewak open the scoring in that game?).

The Sioux did just what they needed to do... split on the road. Let's hope they can sweep next weekend at home. I don't think anyone would complain if they did that all season long.

"I have no idea what happened," Massen said. "I just cut to the net and I looked down and the puck was there. I was like 'Holy (crap). It's just me and Montgomery.' He went down and I beat him on the short side."

I thought this quote by James Massen on scoring the game-winning goal in OT was priceless. Here's the story on the game in the St. Cloud Times.

Last night was definitely a needed win for the team. It not only breaks the "NCC Curse" but it also gave them a nice dose of confidence finishing a tight game in a tough arena. It was also nice to see the scoring spread around a bit more this weekend, rather than relying on Parise and Bochenski. However, it's nice they can score too. :0

Question for anybody who saw/listened to both games: Did Siembida play better Saturday, or did he get just more help upfront (17 SOG)? Either way, a nice win for him. :D

Question for anybody who saw/listened to both games: Did Siembida play better Saturday, or did he get just more help upfront (17 SOG)? Either way, a nice win for him. :D

Sounded like he played much better. Athough they scored two PPG's on the first 7 shots (second one might have been stopped), he made the saves on the last 12, including 2 or 3 (maybe more) big saves on the SC PP that kept the game close.

I thought this quote by James Massen on scoring the game-winning goal in OT was priceless. Here's the story on the game in the St. Cloud Times.

Massen also said, "And Friday night, you can't really call it a (butt)-kicking when we put 43 shots on net." Somehow I don't think "crap" and "butt" is what he really said. :D I think he was excited about netting the GWG in overtime

Scott, I was at the game, and I noticed two things. Siembida was playing a much better game on Saturday, although it still made me nervous every time the Huskies went in on him after Friday night's 3rd period, and the defense also played much better. For the first time this season, I thought the defense looked a little shaky on Friday night. Saturday, though, Siembida made a few quick toe saves that looked tough from where I was sitting.

One thing I didn't like this weekend, was having 5 forwards on the ice for the power play. I don't think Lundbohm has nearly as strong of a slap shot from the blue line as, say, Fuher or Schneider, and at times he seemed a little selfish with the puck. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the job of the power play QB to set up the PP? At times, Lundbohm seemed to try to take matters into his own hands and dance around the penalty killers when he probably should have passed, which ended up in either a shorthanded rush or else the puck being cleared to the Sioux end. Whatever the case, I wasn't impressed with the PP this weekend. Hopefully it will get better with Fuher back in there. I think I was just surprised that Blais didn't replace Fuher with Schneider, since he obviously has a bit of the scoring touch, and a nice low shot.

The line of Lundbohm, Notermann, and Massen is really looking good. These guys compliment each other very well, and as others have said, Notermann is really raising the bar for himself. He has always played hard every shift, and has been a key role player, but now the points are rolling in as well. Good for him! Palmiscino and Connelly also played pretty well this weekend, I thought, and ended up creating quite a few scoring chances. Was anyone else surprised that Spiewak played on a line with Parise and Bochenski on Saturday? I was trying to figure out if Blais was changing it up due to the line's combined -8 rating on Friday, or to have some senior leadership on a line that was being shut down by SCSU seniors. Either way, I thought he looked good with those two as well.

forecheck,

Blais said on the Saturday night pre-game show that he put Spiewak on the line with Parise and Bochenski for two reasons. The first was that he thought some senior leadership was needed against SCSU's senior line (which seemed to work) and the second was that he though Quinn Fylling hadn't played well.

Gotta pat Notermann on the back. There is a guy who really seems to have stood up this season. One of those unsung heroes for his first 3 years, this year he seems to be making some plays that result in goals. Too bad Friday went the way it did but once again nice to see Notermann and Massen scoring and if they can keep this up it goes a LONG way for the Sioux's scoring depth. One very important factor.

Great job, Notermann!

If you were at St. Cloud this weekend, you saw Massen step up and become the player we all knew he could be. It is get to see how he and Noterman work together. I sure hope they keep them together for awhile. Massens patience for the OT winner was unbelievable. He was on his backhand and waited until the goalie committed and then pulled the puck to his forehand and slammed it in there. He showed great maturity and what a great shot.