SiouxSports.com Forum

Empty Seats

pentaxman46

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was it wrong of me to walk into the state high school hockey tournament championship game on saturday night and wish that the college team i love had the same kind of fan support. even though the upper deck was empty, during the game you weren't able to carry on a conversation. I LOVE THAT. I was dissapointed with the fans also on sunday afternoon. I understand the reasons but if you stick 10000 people in an area that size, it should be loud. I coulda carried on a convo with someone three sections over and had the attention of everyone within said sections. :silly:

was it wrong of me to walk into the state high school hockey tournament championship game on saturday night and wish that the college team i love had the same kind of fan support.  even though the upper deck was empty, during the game you weren't able to carry on a conversation.  I LOVE THAT.  I was dissapointed with the fans also on sunday afternoon.  I understand the reasons but if you stick 10000 people in an area that size, it should be loud.  I coulda carried on a convo with someone three sections over and had the attention of everyone within said sections. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes lets compare a championship game atmosphere to that of a regular season game. :silly:

I wouldn't say nobody :silly:

Not much has changed since then, I still don't think UND's core crowd is >10k and I think attendance will slip dramatically during a sustained period of true mediocrity (dropping out of the top 15 for one week this year is nowhere near what I'm talking about). Thankfully, so far the Sioux continue to prevent my theory from being tested by contuing to excel.

Regardless, I think we're going to see some modest declines in coming years as the "new thing" factor wears off REA. This is why I've questioned the apparent business strategy of maximizing revenue now instead of using this surge in popularity to try to lock-in more hardcore fans; fostering loyalty could produce a lot more consistent revenue in the long-run than trying to extract an extra dime from each fan when times are flush.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bet there will be less of a waiting list for Season tickets in years to come. Also I wonder if they will keep making people pay 1000.00 for lower bowl tickets.

was it wrong of me to walk into the state high school hockey tournament championship game on saturday night and wish that the college team i love had the same kind of fan support.  even though the upper deck was empty, during the game you weren't able to carry on a conversation.  I LOVE THAT.  I was dissapointed with the fans also on sunday afternoon.  I understand the reasons but if you stick 10000 people in an area that size, it should be loud.  I coulda carried on a convo with someone three sections over and had the attention of everyone within said sections. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is really tough to make that comparison. A championship high school hockey game has a lot of excitement, especially when its between the two home town schools. You have a lot of fans on both sides, where as a home hockey game usually has a good majority of the fans cheering for only one of the teams.

I bet there will be less of a waiting list for Season tickets in years to come. Also I wonder if they will keep making people pay 1000.00 for lower bowl tickets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've wondered the same thing Goon. Asking for 1000 bucks will be tough in the down years and not quite sure they are going to get it then.

I29 was not that bad. I drove home after the hockey game on Sunday and averaged 60 mph, would have been faster but there were some people going real slow. If the road conditions from Fargo to GF were a deterent then it only kept the casual fans away, those that go to socialize...unless people were worried it would was going to be a lot worse than it was. Not sure why the crowd was so quiet other than it was a relatively boring game for long streches.

I29 was not that bad.  I drove home after the hockey game on Sunday and averaged 60 mph, would have been faster but there were some people going real slow.  If the road conditions from Fargo to GF were a deterent then it only kept the casual fans away, those that go to socialize...unless people were worried it would was going to be a lot worse than it was.  Not sure why the crowd was so quiet other than it was a relatively boring game for long streches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well you might not have had a problem, but obviously some people did, at least according to this story in the Herald.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/n...al/11010145.htm

I29 was not that bad.  I drove home after the hockey game on Sunday and averaged 60 mph,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is at least 20 mph off the pace. I wouldn't want to drive that boring stretch of road under caution to see exits 73, 79, 86, 92, 100, 104, 111, 118, 123, 130, 138 & 140. BORING!!! :silly: