SiouxSports.com Forum

Adam Johnson Tragedy

Wilbur

56 minutes ago, Esoteric said:

How many trainers on the sidelines have any training in emergency procedures for this type of injury.  Time is so essential and correct steps need to be taken.

Very true.  How often are medical personnel available at youth games?  Coached for many years and have been at many tournaments, jamborees, and games with no medical personnel present.     

8 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

From a legal standpoint this will be an interesting case.  I'm curious to see the essential elements of the charge, and I'd love to see the jury instructions if the case got to that point.  With the assumption of risk/consent, or whatever doctrine is applicable to sporting events in this case, it will be pretty complicated to sort out.

Some incidents have been clearly outside the scope of the sporting event, but that's a tough line to draw as far as what can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.  I don't know how the "reckless" or "negligent" culpability levels are applied to sports.  I believe most in-competition criminal charges are based on intentional acts clearly outside the scope of play, ala Todd Bertuzzi. A ton of incidents in sporting events could be deemed reckless or "dirty" and result in injury. I suspect the prosecutors will have to be on their game for this one.

Marty McSorley too.  Think about what went on on the ice many years ago.  McSorley & Bertuzzi stuff happened much more frequently.  Not condoning that behavior but that was the way it was.     

2 hours ago, Esoteric said:

How many trainers on the sidelines have any training in emergency procedures for this type of injury.  Time is so essential and correct steps need to be taken.

https://x.com/GinoHard_/status/1724604011016577322?s=20

Saw this and was like thats a close call. There was a player that got a skate blade right by the eye a few days ago.  

3 hours ago, Clark17 said:

Very true.  How often are medical personnel available at youth games?  Coached for many years and have been at many tournaments, jamborees, and games with no medical personnel present.     

I coached high school - both girls and boys teams.  We had a med kit.  I agree there can be times when we needed more than first aid.