SiouxSports.com Forum

HIGH SCHOOL GOALIES

gfcnative64

The stats do speak for themselves as it relates directly to who he played . He did have a nice game against Minot as I was there. I think he had somewhere in the 30's in that game.I think almost half of his total came in the Minot game. However, 1 save against Shanley, does not prove him a top goaltender in the state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If a goalie faces 100 shots, and stops 98 of them, I would have to say he's doing something right. You can not fault him for playing on the same team as another very solid goaltender who is a senior.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a goalie faces 100 shots, and stops 98 of them, I would have to say he's doing something right. You can not fault him for playing on the same team as another very solid goaltender who is a senior.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a number of very good goaltenders in the state, and he would be one of them. This whole conversation started because it was stated he would start for any other team except South in the state, and that is simply not true.

There are a number of very good goaltenders in the state, and he would be one of them. This whole conversation started because it was stated he would start for any other team except South in the state, and that is simply not true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I'm not the one who said that, although I do think it is 100% true.

I know enough about Eli Rosendahl to say that he is an excellent goalie. In fact, the kid was good enough as a hockey player to skate out on a summer AA team when he was a Pee Wee on a line with Ryan Schaefer and Nick Klenow of North. In fact, the team was undefeated going 11-0-1 that summer. Eli is a good athlete and it is too bad when someone with a high level of talent does not get to showcase it against the top teams. Where he would be on other teams is a totally hypothetical thing - depends on the coach and if he has a good senior that he wants to give most of the playing time to. I'm sure Eli will be doing a great job next year and I look forward to watching him. With the speculation on another thread about who the possible candidates are for Mr. Hockey next year it is easy to forget that a goalie could step forward and be the top player in the state.

Diechert is nowhere near the level of Mclean, and does not perform well in games. He's been in a few JV games for South this year and had a very low save percentage, and their JV seemed to blow teams out every game.

And just to mention one of the less talked about goalies, I'll mention Welk. He's not a bad goalie and can come up big, but has some big shoes to fill after Oakland left. You also can't blame him for doing poorly when there is almost no defense on the north squad.

McLean is definitely the best in the state, it was odd to me how he didn't get near the amount of credit he deserved all throughout. I coached him some 7-8 years back and I don't remember a bad game from him. Deichert isn't near the level of McLean and thats due to experience. When i coached him 6 years ago he was a defenseman, his first year in the cage was as a first year peewee. I like Welk good kid, not so good as a goalie faired well in his first year but so did WF's goalie from last year, the name slips me at this moment. It'll be interesting to see how Welk plays entering his senior year.

McLean is definitely the best in the state, it was odd to me how he didn't get near the amount of credit he deserved all throughout.  I coached him some 7-8 years back and I don't remember a bad game from him.  Deichert isn't near the level of McLean and thats due to experience.  When i coached him 6 years ago he was a defenseman, his first year in the cage was as a first year peewee.  I like Welk good kid, not so good as a goalie faired well in his first year but so did WF's goalie from last year, the name slips me at this moment.  It'll be interesting to see how Welk plays entering his senior year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

doesnt matter if he was good a while ago the real question is what have you done for me lately and lately hes played pretty well, but it wont be enuf to stop the freight train that is the red river roughriders.

Diechert is nowhere near the level of Mclean, and does not perform well in games. He's been in a few JV games for South this year and had a very low save percentage, and their JV seemed to blow teams out every game.

And just to mention one of the less talked about goalies, I'll mention Welk. He's not a bad goalie and can come up big, but has some big shoes to fill after Oakland left. You also can't blame him for doing poorly when there is almost no defense on the north squad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dont shoot the messanger. Just relaying what Wilson has said in the past. Diechert has loads of talent, but not the mental capacity to play varsity on a consistant basis. Not even saying that he will become a consistent goalie just that he has the talent to do so. Mclean is just solid, not a lot of flash, but always in the right position to stop the puck.

To FSwadestorey, GO WHITE!! (your comments earlier make me quess you coach flyer white) I played in the first 3 flyer tournaments and have been waiting to see the Flyers win for a long time now. Who scares you this weekend. When do you play??

to everyone who said that mclean and stahl are the best goalies in the state, congratulations for being complete morons. those kids really showed up to play today, and together posted a stellar save % of just over 67%. stahl was a complete veg in net today. i couldve put a 12 yr old girl in there and it wuoldve been a closer game. and for mclean, well 8 saves on 13 shots to a team that had a grand total of 0-count 'em ZERO players on the WDA all tourney team really speaks for itself. mr mclean u should buy your defensemen some steak dinners tontie because without them i wonder how many goals century wouldve scored. 15? 20? both mclean and stahl should buy a new pair of breezers for tomorrows games, seeing as how both of theres are covered in piss.

that performance by stahl was absolutely terrible.  everything central shot went in.  which shows what ive said once again-eli rosendahl would start for every team in the state besides rr and south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

from the look of souths goaltending tonight vs bismarck id say rosendahl would start anywhere including south

Give the kids a friggen break. Yes in the thick of things of a state hockey tournament they didn't play well in one game. Tyler happens to live close to my parents back in Minot, and you wouldn't believe how badly he felt about his effort when I talked to him during the evening session. The pressure that goes into playing goalie is a pressure like no other, and when you have a solid or average game you go unnoticed a lot of the time. When you have a really bad game is when the naysayers come out and talk about how bad of a player you are, and what you should have done differently.

I still believe that McClean and Stahl have proven themselves as solid goaltenders in the state of North Dakota. Tyler won't win a state championship this year, but only a few goaltenders have ever had 20 plus wins in a season in North Dakota, and he should be proud of that.

Its not Stahl's fault minot lost 6-2.  But I'm sure you would have the same opininon whether he would have had 12 saves or 45 saves.  Minot lost as a team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i dont know about that. if he wouldve played the way his stats indicate hes played all year he wouldve let in 2 goals. although minot sucks, i think some of the blame does have to be put on stahl.