SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU men

teamsioux

Things have gotten really bad in Brookings, they lost by 38 to pretty bad SW Minnesota St on Monday night. SWMS had lost to Mankato by 40, NDSU by 28 and lost to UNO,UMD and USD. Hard to believe they could fall that far,sounds like they have given up for the most part. This is the first year in a long time that UND would dominate them. A couple of their fans even stated on the Jacks board that they are glad they are not in the NCC this year.

Don't turn this into D-1 or not D-1 discussion, that has been rehashed a million times...merely stating how a team UND had some great games and a great rivalry with over the years is doing.

Don't turn this into D-1 or not D-1 discussion, that has been rehashed a million times...merely stating how a team UND had some great games and a great rivalry with over the years is doing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Umm...so what's the point of starting a thread about SDSU's DI men's basketball team on a forum dedicated to UND's DII basketball teams? ???:lol:

Pat, because I know alot of the UND BB supporters who read this board are interested. Especially since they are basically playing a DII schedule of NCC and NSIC teams. As I stated above, they were a great rival and many of us BB fans miss playing them and in Frost arena. It was most fans favorite road trip. I know you are not a big BB supporter so I would not expect you to care. :lol: If you don't care about it, then you don't have to have comment on it. I had clearly stated why I put it up. I don't comment about the many things I disagree with you on. You are just as bad about starting stuff as the people who want to argue the SU's move to DI.

Personally, I appreciate any thread or post about basketball on this site. It has unfortunately been all too quiet on here this season despite pretty decent years so far by both the women and men. As more and more people become aware of this board's existence, you would think basketball discussion would increase instead of decrease, but sadly that hasn't been the case this year.

I think part of the reason they are struggling is because some players like Andy Moller decided not to play for them due to no conference affiliation or post season play. Probably normal growing pains for any program making the move. I believe I heard someone mention that if UND had decided to move to D1 that Kierah Kimbrough might have changed her mind. Others might want to play D1 just for the status of it, even though the competition may not be any better, at least the lower tier teams.

Personally, I appreciate any thread or post about basketball on this site. It has unfortunately been all too quiet on here this season despite pretty decent years so far by both the women and men. As more and more people become aware of this board's existence, you would think basketball discussion would increase instead of decrease, but sadly that hasn't been the case this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, especially with the women's games having three Top 25 teams and all vying for regional position in town this weekend. If the women are to go places, these are must wins for them with three road games after this final homestand.

I think part of the reason they are struggling is because some players like Andy Moller decided not to play for them due to no conference affiliation or post season play.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some SDSU board posters/fans have said that Moeller would not of have been eligible this year for them because he had a year of medical redshirt in DII that would not of have counted in DI this year, thus not having any eligibility left. I had never heard of that before, but I have seen more than a couple fans state that.

As much as we wish the SDSU men were around, their women would be running away with the NCC I think. They have beat or played very even with many top 25 DI teams.

The thing that I find most interesting is the drop in basketball attendence for SDSU, and to a lesser extent NDSU. SDSU's attendence has been more then cut in half, from 3375 to 1617, while NDSU is down from 2440 to 1280, although their figure this year will end up a few hundred higher then that with SDSU in Fargo in a few weeks. You would expect there to be a dip this year for the 2 clubs, but for SDSU to lose that amount, WOW. That is supposed to be what they do down there.

And realistically, an impact player is needed pronto, but I can't see it happening based on the differences between being D1 and D2. If SDSU was still a D2 program, they could get a D1 transfer or wait until May or July when some of the most talented JUCO players in the country end up not graduating and are forced to go D2. But, being D1, the odds of a transfer coming in are not good at all due to having to sit out, and getting an impact JUCO player would mean out-recruiting big time schhols. I think SDSU is in a pretty big hole for a few years, in a much worse place then NDSU will be in a few years.

I do know that SDSU really likes the current freshmen class though...including a couple of stud redshirts. It sounds like more of a poor attitude than a lack of talent, some of the seniors not playing with emotion realizing the end is near. If I was to guess, Nagy will get it turned around and improve steadily.

It is interesting and also important IMO to monitor how NDSU and SDSU are doing in most of their sports this year, as it gives a glimpse of what to and not to expect, what to and not to do in the future if the move up that so many of us expect, right or wrong, in the not so distant future does occur. A strong, and I say strong in relative terms, start is so important because it sets the table for the next 10 years. Al ot does depend on the team that is in place when the move is made. SDSU, for instance, has been a very old, veteran ball club for the past 5-10 years. They may be a case where they announced their moving intentions at a bad time for their basketball program, a year in which they were going to be in flux and thus may have thrown things off for an unfortunate number of years.

Moeller's situation may be true. Justin Monson was denied a sixth year of eligibility for next year, although he would have been eligible under DII rules. As for NDSU's attendance, it's not great but probably around where I though it would be. Next year I'd like to see an average of ~3000, but that's probably being unrealistic.

Edit: Corella, have you heard anything about Lott from NDSCS. Supposedly, he's getting interest from some high majors, but of course you have to take that with a grain of salt. Does NDSU have a snowball's chance in hell of landing him?

When did you become moderator of this message board?

I read it as him just trying to drum up business for the nascent site.

FWIW - in my opinion, discussion of other teams of interest (opponents, regional teams, etc...) is fine. Unfortunately, threads about SDSU/NDSU tend to devolve into the tired old DI smack/trolling/bashing (e.g.), which is not fine.

Which dI teams are definitely playing at NDSU next year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good question. Supposedly we only played DI teams this year that promised a return trip, minus K-State which was a 2-for-1 deal, and of course the UW-GB tournament. So if that's the case that would mean Manhattan, Denver, UMKC, Eastern Michigan, and Oakland. I would expect to see more however. I honestly can't say if those teams will bring the fans out in droves but I do think initially there will be a lot curiosity in seeing DI teams in Fargo and I think alot of bball fans are interested in seeing our redshirt freshmen play. So in my fantasy world there will be good attendance early, the Bison men will win/be competitive thus maintaining interest and therefore fan attendance. Time will tell.

That's a good question. Supposedly we only played DI teams this year that promised a return trip, minus K-State which was a 2-for-1 deal, and of course the UW-GB tournament. So if that's the case that would mean Manhattan, Denver, UMKC, Eastern Michigan, and Oakland. I would expect to see more however. I honestly can't say if those teams will bring the fans out in droves but I do think initially there will be a lot curiosity in seeing DI teams in Fargo and I think alot of bball fans are interested in seeing our redshirt freshmen play. So in my fantasy world there will be good attendance early, the Bison men will win/be competitive thus maintaining interest and therefore fan attendance. Time will tell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Manhattan might be a 2-for-1, as well. I know Miles said that some of the schools woudn't go for just a home/home.