SiouxSports.com Forum

Unprecedented?

dagies

I've always thought it's much harder to replace experienced defense, and you're usually  in for a tough year when that has to be done (next year's Sioux).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could not agree more. There is nothing more difficult than a freshman defenseman coming into the WCHA and making significant contributions.

After reading the posts here on this thread, I thought it might be an appropriate place to post something I had added to a different thread a few days ago.

After watching a lot of the Sioux hockey games this year, the glaring lack of "finishers" is always evident. For those fans who are continually bemoaning the lack of offense, I'm afraid it's not going to get much better this season. You must remember that this team lost it's two top offensive producers (Zach and Bo), plus Lundbohm. Now they are also playing without a very skilled and speedy Brady Murray. This weekend also sees the Sioux without a fairly strong two-way player (McMahon). The Sioux don't have depth in the goal-scoring department. They really don't have a lot of offensive firepower (finishers at the D-1 college level). The past month, they look like they are working hard, trying their best. Maybe we just have to "cut them all some slack." Get used to it. They aren't going to fill the net, even when they do create some excellent opportunities.

Now, can they win and go on into the playoffs? Yes, I think they can. Don't expect it to be easy or pretty, but they could pull off a "2004 Denver" and surprise the heck out of a lot of hockey "experts." To do this, they WILL need some luck. Heaven knows that we haven't used up much of it so far in the regular season.

Keep the faith. As long as the guys are working hard and playing together, you can't really expect some of the "role player" guys to magically turn into consistent big time goal scorers. It just isn't going to happen at the level at which they play. But some just may get the opportunity to produce and get the job done when it is needed the most.

And to Hak........hang in there fella. First years are never easy and you have been challanged by many difficult circumstances beyond your control. You have a good staff to help you and you will do just fine. You are just "paying your dues" as a first year coach of a program that is always expected to win (not considering that most of the offense producers are no longer in the line up or even the program). You guys will find more recruits that will come in a bring the needed skills/traits to the team. I have faith in you guys and the program, and a lot of other hockey people do too.

I couldn't agree more, Old Barn Guy. In fact, for a couple of months now I've been telling anybody who'll listen that this year's team will have to change its identity/style/philosophy for at least this year. Whether we as Sioux fans like it or not, this team does not have the components to be a run and gun squad.

However, that does not mean this team does not have the components to win. I think the comparison to last year's Denver team is an excellent one. We have two (maybe three?) goalies who have the ability to get hot at any time and carry the team. We've shown flashes of being a strong defensive team, not only on the blueline, but with several defensive-minded forwards (McMahon, Zajac, Prpich, Fylling, etc.).

I don't think there is any shame in trying to win ugly and many Sioux fans may have to accept this, at least in the short term. Yes, many of Dean Blais' teams played firewagon hockey. But let's not forget that on his two NCAA title teams, his hardest-working players were also his best players (1997: Blake, Hoogsteens, Murphy, etc...2000: Goren, Ulmer, Bayda, Panzer, etc.).

I would prefer Sioux fans reserve judgment on this team until we have our full lineup intact for a lengthy stretch of time. With Murray and McMahon back in the lineup, suddenly other (role) players aren't so miscast. Suddenly your top six forwards (top two lines) include Stafford, Murray, Spirko, Genoway, Porter and Zajac. That's as much talent as any Top Six in the nation. You have excellent shut-down forwards like McMahon and Prpich. And you have experienced role players like Fylling and Massen. Suddenly that lineup doesn't look to shabby, does it?

I totally agree with our defensemen being the problem. As much as we all have complained about Greene taking penalties Jones takes almost as many. It seems every game he gets a cross-check or two. Anyways I think that the most dissappointing player this year has been Jones. For a guy who was supposed to be the heart and soul of the defense he has really played poorly all season.

I totally agree with our defensemen being the problem.  As much as we all have complained about Greene taking penalties Jones takes almost as many.  It seems every game he gets a cross-check or two.  Anyways I think that the most dissappointing player this year has been Jones.  For a guy who was supposed to be the heart and soul of the defense he has really played poorly all season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously?? Have you been to the games? How do you blame Jones, or the defense for that matter when the Sioux lose 1-0 to Wisconsin, 1-0 to CC, 2-1 to AAU, etc.? :lol: Do you realize that the Sioux have given up 5 or more goals only 3 times all year? One was a 5-3 loss to BC on the road and the 5th goal was an empty netter, and another was a 5-2 loss at Wisconsin where the last 2 goals were empty netters. That means that the Sioux have really only given up more than 4 goals once, a 6-0 loss to UM. I have been to almost every home game and watched many of the road games, and Jones has been the best defenseman all year. Schneider and Greene have not played as well, but Jones and Fuher have been very solid. Frankly, Jones, Fuher and Genoway are the only seniors that I will miss. This team's main problem is inability to score. Give me a team full of Matt Jones type players and you will have a championship team.