SiouxSports.com Forum

East Region Race

FSwadestorey

Well, after day one of the regional tournaments, there is really only one upset to report and that would be Hazen over Williston at the west regional. This really doesn't suprise me, due to the fact that Hazen always has an excellent fan base at regional tournaments that just gives them a huge boost, especially when the tourny is held in Minot like this year.

I was at the last three games of the east regional today and things pretty much went according to plan. I thought that Fargo North played pretty well, and they could very well give the GPR-RR loser some trouble in a play in game on Saturday. We should have some excellent semifinal games tomorrow though!!

My predictions for tomorrow:

Minot over Mandan

Hazen over Bismarck (Hazen swept the season series from Bismarck)

South over Central

Red River over GPR

Looking forward to some great high school hockey action!!!! :blush:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Predictions...

West

1. Minot

2. Hazen

3. Mandan

4. Bismark

East

1. South

2. Red River

3. GPR

4. Central

...The east is real toss up to me after that number one spot. I think Grafton can take Red River on any given day and I think Central can take Red River AND Grafton on any given day. These next few games are gonna be very interesting out East.

BTW.. anyone got any game analysis's for me? didn't get a chance to see any of the games yesterday.

Some analysis huh,

I attended the FN vs GFC game, pretty ugly and both teams showed little jump, didn't seem like an EDC game. Central's goalie stood on his head for the most part and won that game. The FN goals all came in the last 3 minutes, (GFC sat thier top players and gave some handout shifts.) Other than that, you missed Jake Marto's highlight reel goal and an anemic GFC powerplay. Hopefully the rest of the games will have some hop to them.

Today North beat Shanley 5-3 and West Fargo beat Jamestown 3-2. North had some trouble putting Shanley away. The North goalie, Justin Welk, came up with some huge saves when Stensgaard got through on a couple of breakaways. The game was choppy at times and each team had some penalties that hurt their momentum. The West Fargo/Jamestown game was fairly good with some nice intensity probably a carry over from their last one goal encounter.

Thursday's North/Central game was interesting. Some fans felt North outplayed Central in the first period but 4 penalties in that period hurt North. Marto scored with a 5 on 3 advantage after making some nice moves. North shut down the Central power play with high energy and good defense for the most part early, with the exception of the 5 on 3, but Central adjusted and actually finished with 3 power play goals. Should be some great hockey later today and Saturday.

There have been a suprising number of junior scouts around the rink today and yesterday.

Scores from the West Region:

Minot 4 Mandan 2

Bismarck 5 Hazen 2 (this was the score with two minutes left when I left)

After seeing Charlie Bair play today my vote (although it doesn't count :blush:) for Mr. Hockey would have to go to Jake Marto. Minot played probably their worst game of the season (and they were in the box the whole game) and the kid seemed non existant. He is pretty good with the puck, but he does Cherry Pick a lot (A LOT) which is probably a reason he scores so many goals. Gotta give credit to Mandan's goaltender though, the kid played well.

Bismarck had a great second period. They were only ahead 1-0 after the first, but picked it up in the second and buried the chances they had for a 4-1 lead after two. If Bismarck gets the goaltending they got tonight at the state tournament they could be tough.

Tomorrow's predictions:

Red River over North

Central over West Fargo

South over Grafton

Williston over Mandan

Hazen over Century

Minot over Bismarck

PS: What was with the no goal call in the GPR-RR game? A buddy of mine at the game said something about it being pretty controversial?

South beat Grafton 3-2 in double OT. Any thoughts on the Saturday games? Central/West Fargo was a clear decision but the Red River/North game was interesting with North leading 2-0 into the third period. Any thoughts on how that third period unfolded? How about the South/Grafton game? South outshot them but had to take it into ovetime to win. How did the refereeing look over the tournament?

Scores from the West:

Williston 5 Mandan 3

Century 4 Hazen/Beulah 3 OT

Minot 5 Bismarck 1

That sets up next weeks state tounry:

Minot vs. Central

Grafton vs. Williston

Bismarck vs. Red River

South vs. Bismarck Century

It was a pretty good day of hockey at the West Region tourny. The Minot-Bismarck game was a whole lot closer than the 5-1 score. Minot only had a 2-1 lead after two periods. The atmosphere throughout the entire day was outstanding. I couldn't believe the crowd for the Century/HB game, it seemed louder than the Ralph at times.... :silly:

Odds of favorites to win the 2005 ND State Championship:

1. Fargo South. Clearly the class of this years class.

2. Grafton/PR. Beat South early and took them to 2OT tonight. Also historically the greatest overachievers at the state tourney.

3. Minot. Only west team ever to win state. If Dean Blaise had stayed there they would have a bunch by now.

Odds of favorites to win the 2005 ND State Championship:

3.  Minot.  Only west team ever to win state.  If Dean Blaise had stayed there they would have a bunch by now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto. One of my coaches in Minot played for Deano in HS, and said it was the best experience of his life. I bet Minot would have something like.....7 :silly:

Scores from the West:

Williston 5  Mandan 3

Century 4  Hazen/Beulah 3 OT

Minot 5  Bismarck 1

That sets up next weeks state tounry:

Minot vs. Central

Grafton vs. Williston

Bismarck vs. Red River

South vs. Bismarck Century

It was a pretty good day of hockey at the West Region tourny.  The Minot-Bismarck game was a whole lot closer than the 5-1 score.  Minot only had a 2-1 lead after two periods.  The atmosphere throughout the entire day was outstanding.  I couldn't believe the crowd for the Century/HB game, it seemed louder than the Ralph at times.... :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I speak for many when I say that the ultimate match up for a championship game would be Minot vs South. but I do have a feeling that GPR (playing their game) could knock off Minot. But being realistic Minot will probably take them.

My predictions as of this point...

1. South

2. Minot

3. GPR

4. Red River

.. and after who cares..

I was at the RR/North game and the refes sure gave the game to RR. They called a bunch of interferences that weren't even close to one enorder to get RR into the game and the win. Typical refees for a gf game. Pretty sad when it was so obvious that was happening. I know most of you one hear won't agree with me because you are prolly from Forks. I have seen this for years now. I think during tourny's the west should come here to refee and the east should go there. Just my thoughts..

I was at the RR/North game and the refes sure gave the game to RR. They called a bunch of interferences that weren't even close to one enorder to get RR into the game and the win. Typical refees for a gf game. Pretty sad when it was so obvious that was happening. I know most of you one hear won't agree with me because you are prolly from Forks. I have seen this for years now. I think during tourny's the west should come here to refee and the east should go there. Just my thoughts..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw that North/Red River game too and I think that it was a terrible job by the ref. It was not just North or Fargo people either who came to that same conclusion. They should have refs from other parts of the state in these situations. There were some Grand Forks people who were sympathetic as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was also at the games yesterday. I don't understand why they allow refs to

do games involving teams from the cities they are from. The FN/RR game was a perfect example. I know most of the GF RR people probably will not agree with this - but FN was robbed of winning that game by one GF ref . I sat with fans from all of the different teams at EDC as well as a couple of officials and we were all appauled by the way he took over with 8 minutes left in the game. The calls he made were all very questionable - don't decide a game by these type of calls.

Let the boys decide the game.