SiouxSports.com Forum

Brian Lee and Moorhead

I Ranger

I just finished watching Moorhead play a lousy Hibbing team and beat them 3-2. Hibbing should have tied the game a few times in the last two minutes but couldn't. Anyway I thought that Moorhead was quite a bit out of sink tonight even know they outshot Hibbing 52-20. Vandevelde had 2 goals and looked OK but I thought Lee looked very good. It was the first time I saw him against high school competition and it was like man against boys. Anyone who thinks Ammerman is the better player is way off. Lee controls the game and no one can beat him one on one. It seems that when he wants the pucks he takes it. Anyway I wasn't overly impressed with Vandevelde but I thought Lee was phenomenal in a game in which his team didn't play very well. I believe Vandevelde definitely needs a year or two in the USHL to be ready for the Sioux.

I just finished watching Moorhead play a lousy Hibbing team and beat them 3-2.  Hibbing should have tied the game a few times in the last two minutes but couldn't. Anyway I thought that Moorhead was quite a bit out of sink tonight even know they outshot Hibbing 52-20.  Vandevelde had 2 goals and looked OK but I thought Lee looked very good. It was the first time I saw him against high school competition and it was like man against boys.  Anyone who thinks Ammerman is the better player is way off.  Lee controls the game and no one can beat him one on one.  It seems that when he wants the pucks he takes it. Anyway I wasn't overly impressed with Vandevelde but I thought Lee was phenomenal in a game in which his team didn't play very well.  I believe Vandevelde definitely needs a year or two in the USHL to be ready for the Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not doubting your report, but I've honestly never heard of a player who scores 2 goals being called "OK." I admit that Chris isn't worth jumping up and down for, but I feel he looks better than "OK."

Thanks for the report, I'm surprised MHD made it up there. I believe they play in Coleraine today - are you going to make that game?

I thought Hibbing was supposed to be a ok team, they looked pretty good in state last year. That Shea Walters kid is a very good player, I'm surprised he hasn't signed anywhere yet.

VandeVelde is a very streaky player, like most of the Moorhead players. Moorhead tends to get a little to cute with their play, trying to make the perfect play. They have the most talent of any team in the state, but they are not coming together. VandeVelde and Loos have scored more goals than the rest of the forwards combined. IMO this should not happen with Becker, Fisher, Clukey, Johnson, Miller and Christian on the team.

Here's the box score

FIRST PERIOD: 1, M, Loos, (Ammerman, Barta) 6:38. 2, H, Sutherland (Walters) 11:37 (pp).

SECOND PERIOD: 3, M, VandeValde (Klukey) 0:46. 4, H, Walters (Parson) 16:08.

THIRD PERIOD: 3, M, VandeValde (Fisher, Barta) 3:20.

SAVES: M, Hittle 6-9-7-22. H, Toderzay 21-13-13-47.

How is it that out shooting a team 52-20 is not very impressive. If a high School team gets 30 shots in a game, thats really good. If a team gets 40 shots in a game thats awesome, over 50 shots is total domination. Boy Moorhead has the pressure on them. If they dont score 10 goals, everyone thinks they are average.

And I heard that Vandevelde is a late bloomer and that is why Blais got him commited so early. Probably the same reason Gretzky drafted Blake wheeler, who doesnt have that many points in the USHL considering he is a number 5 overall pick. Think long term with these players. Vandevelde has 5 hatricks. I dont care who there against, how many guys from any section 8 school gets 5 hatricks in a season (with more to come).

jloos knows the Moorhead program and I like the insight he gives. Is any other Moorhead guys got plans yet for next year. What do you think of Jordy Christian?

How is it that out shooting a team 52-20 is not very impressive.  If a high School team gets 30 shots in a game, thats really good.  If a team gets 40 shots in a game thats awesome, over 50 shots is total domination.  Boy Moorhead has the pressure on them.  If they dont score 10 goals, everyone thinks they are average.

And I heard that Vandevelde is a late bloomer and that is why Blais got him commited so early.  Probably the same reason Gretzky drafted Blake wheeler, who doesnt have that many points in the USHL considering he is a number 5 overall pick.  Think long term with these players.  Vandevelde has 5 hatricks.  I dont care who there against, how many guys from any section 8 school gets 5 hatricks in a season (with more to come).

jloos knows the Moorhead program and I like the insight he gives.  Is any other Moorhead guys got plans yet for next year.  What do you think of Jordy Christian?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure Blake is a late bloomer. He certainly isn't lighting it up like Vanek did. The way things have progressed for Blake, I'm wondering if this will be the first #5 pick overall to stay beyond 2 years in college.

Yes Hibbing has a very good goalie and he made about 4 or 5 saves in the first period that kept Hibbing in the game. I am not saying that Vandevelde is a bad player I am just saying that I think a year in the USHL will be very good for him. Anyways I agree that Moorehead tries to get too cute some times with too many passes but they move the puck as a team better than any high school team I have ever seen in my life in I grew up and played Minnesota high school hockey with the best of them. My main point I wanted to get across though was the fact that Lee is twice the player that Ammerman is even though I don't think Ammerman is a bad player I just think in my opinion that Lee is that much better. Coming from a guy who only watched one game. By the way Shea Walters is a really good player on a really bad team. He should have played this year in the USHL and then he might have signed somewhere but now he will have to wait until next year.

I just finished watching Moorhead play a lousy Hibbing team and beat them 3-2.  Hibbing should have tied the game a few times in the last two minutes but couldn't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remeber when Hibbing used to be a power house in the IRC. My how times have changed.