SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS DULUTH GAME THREAD

AZSIOUX

Anderson simply ignores two flagrant penalites (one potentially career-ending)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? Who got hurt? What is the extent of their injuries? I didn't hear the whole game, since I'm at work.

PCM, I have known you to be pretty even-handed in your analysis in the past, but there were also several non-calls that went your way for cross-checks behind the play, and a tripping penalty that should have been called (again I only stepped in and out for the first and third period).

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the Sioux swept UAA, as they should have, a split at Duluth would have been okay.

Hakstol himself said on this week's coaches' show that because of the UAA loss, the Sioux must pick up some points on the road. They had a chance to do that at UMD, but but didn't.

Really?  Who got hurt?  What is the extent of their injuries?  I didn't hear the whole game, since I'm at work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nobody got hurt. Nobody has to get hurt for it to be a penalty.

Had Matt Greene done the same thing to an opposing player, I have no doubt that he would have been penalized. Heck, Anderson probably would have given him 5 for it.

Seems to be a sweeping problem in NoDak this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

State of Hockey,

I just had to comment on your cute little sig line. We still have had (and will continue to have) WAY more North Dakota kids in our program than you will EVER have. You got lucky with Grant "Sour Grapes" Potulny and his kid brother (Ryan), who also brought along his best friend ("Danny-Boy" Irmen). But most of the really good ND talent will usually wear the Green and White. At least now I won't have to listen to Gopher fans rip North Dakota hockey talent, they really can't do it anymore.

At least UND can steal Minnesota High School kids from the Rodents from time to time. But oh, that's right, I almost forgot: "If UND gets a good Minnesota kid, the Gophers really didn't want him anyway." ???

Go back to POI and quit polluting this forum!!! :angry:

Had the Sioux swept UAA, as they should have, a split at Duluth would have been okay.

Hakstol himself said on this week's coaches' show that because of the UAA loss, the Sioux must pick up some points on the road. They had a chance to do that at UMD, but but didn't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PCM,

I'm positive we'll pick up a road sweep in the second half someplace. Doing it in Duluth against a desperate team that has more talent than they have shown so far is tough. We have been showing slow, steady progress the last few weeks. I'm looking forward to getting back to the Final Five and making some noise. Hopefully, that will lead to an NCAA Tournament appearance. Without the pressure of being the #1 overall seed like last year, maybe we'll perform better.

Really? Who got hurt? What is the extent of their injuries? I didn't hear the whole game, since I'm at work.

PCM, I have known you to be pretty even-handed in your analysis in the past, but there were also several non-calls that went your way for cross-checks behind the play, and a tripping penalty that should have been called (again I only stepped in and out for the first and third period).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you see the game?

Your stats on who had the most penalties shows a lot of ignorance about hockey. Obviously you are a person that expects the ref to have marbles in his pocket to keep the penalties even. ???

I've never heard so much whining from you guys before.  Give the Dogs a little credit here.  I don't know what the official penalty stats were for the game, but it seems to me like the Dogs were in the box more often than the Sioux...just as they were last night.  You are in second place in the league and in no position to be too disappointed about a road split.  I know it was aginst a team that was 2-10-1 in their last 13 games, but the Dogs deserve the credit for coming back after last nights thumping and grinding out a win.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coming from you? Anyways, wouldn't you be a tad upset if the calls of a ref or an AR directly affected the outcome of the game? No, It didn't result in the game winner, but what hogwash! I wouldn't care so much if it were a clean game. It wasn't. Seriously poor officiating job. If the Sioux got called for a penalty, watch out Bulldogs. You're next! WHAT THE F#$%??? ARs do NOT make penalty calls in close games UNLESS it is too many men on the ice. Anderson completely lost control of the game in the 3rd period. He didn't even know which way was up!

If we lose because we were sloppy defensively (which admittedly did end up with a game winner to Schwabe) and that's the end of it, so be it. But a ref getting involved just so his name will appear in the headlines is just plain stupid.

What can Hak do about it? Nothing. He can file a complaint, sure... but everyone is so buddybuddy with Greg "blakety blank" Shepherd that there is no air of accountability among anyone in the WCHA front office. We've seen that countless times in the past. They "SAY" they review games. What do they do? "Oh, Todd, that was a bad call. don't do it again next time." Or perhaps they make it a reflective bs stance like "Did this game go well for you? Why or Why not? What could you do next time to change it?" There's no accountability whatsoever. These refs can do whatever they want.

END RANT

PCM, where was the potential career-ender? You brought it up and then say "nobody got hurt."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the Sioux on the PP, a dog dman took Murray into the boards, from behind, up high, slamming his head into the boards. I've no idea how Murray survived that hit without being seriously injured. It was as cheap as it gets.

But some of the comments I'm reading on here are a little over the top. By reading some people's comments, it sounds like some people have us pegged to finish sixth or seventh in the league. ??? We've made a lot of progress since losing to the Rodents 6-0 at home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although I"d agree the Sioux are playing better than they did during the Mankato, Gopher weekends, losing at home to UAA has put them in a position to finish bottom half.

Check out the Whatif. THe Sioux can finish fourth, but they must sweep at home, and split on the road. After the UAA loss, I don't have a lot of confidence that the Sioux can sweep Mankato, Bucky, and Denver at home while getting a split at the World arena and UAA. If they do that, they will finish 4th or 5th. Sweeping all three at home may well be a must, however. The Sioux have played more games than anyone else in the league, and don't have enough remaining series to make up ground unless they get some weekend sweeps.

I do have the Sioux finishing 5th, because UMD has a more difficult remaining schedule, and I think they'll continue to face a multitude of PP's, given the cheap after the whistle stuff they insist on doing. But, to do that, the Sioux must sweep Mankato at home and SCSU/UAA on the road. CC demolished UAA over the weekend, seems that Lawson has lost his luster, giving up 13 in two games. The Sioux must do the same.

WCHA Final

Team GP Pts

UMN 28 44

CC 28 42

Denver 28 40

UW 28 38

UND 28 37

UMD 28 30

Mankato 28 15

SCSU 28 14

AA 28 14

MTech 28 6

This team is the exact same team that started the season. there has been no improvement. Our big, rugged, experienced defensman looked like swiss cheese last night. And, there are high school power play units that I would take in front of the Sioux powerplay. We bitch and complain about the Sioux never getting any 5x3 chances. Would they actually score?

BDB

state of hockey,

reallly, enough is enough, it is 12:30am,  Lucia is probably at home in Plymouth.  Does he wait for you in the hot tub?  or in his bed? This is not a Gopher site.  Fluff away choada boy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SOH had to stop and pick up Skippy on his way to Lucy's house....Love triangle going there ???

With the Sioux on the PP, a dog dman took Murray into the boards, from behind, up high, slamming his head into the boards. I've no idea how Murray survived that hit without being seriously injured. It was as cheap as it gets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. I didn't say that anyone got injured. I said the type of hit delivered to Murray was potentially career ending and should have been a penalty.

The replay showed what happened and how Murray lost his helmet. The replay also showed Anderson standing there watching the play unfold with an ideal view. It was a flagrant penalty on a dangerous play. Anderson saw it and did nothing.

A short time earlier, he had no problem putting UMD 5-on-3 for a full two minutes for two hits that didn't come close to rivaling what the Bulldog player did to Murray.

After the UAA loss, I don't have a lot of confidence that the Sioux can sweep Mankato, Bucky, and Denver at home while getting a split at the World arena and UAA. If they do that, they will finish 4th or 5th. Sweeping all three at home may well be a must, however. The Sioux have played more games than anyone else in the league, and don't have enough remaining series to make up ground unless they get some weekend sweeps.

That's where I'm coming from with my comments. If we can't sweep UAA at home, can't sweep a floundering UMD team on the road and can't split with Wisconsin on the road, what reason is there to think that the Sioux will sweep their remaining home series and pick up unexpected points on the road? Believe me, I'd love to be proven wrong, and I hope I am.

Last season, after the Sioux went through a stretch when they were 2-4-1 and got swept by Wisconsin, practically everyone wrote them off. Yet they came back with a road sweep of Mankato (a team they should have swept) and then a road sweep of UMD at a time when the Bulldogs were the hottest team in the country. Those types of results gave me confidence that the Sioux had corrected their problems and were ready for a playoff run.

Usually, I try to stay optimistic about UND's chances, but a home split with UAA and a road spit with UMD doesn't do that for me. During the last two series, the Sioux have given up big goals by playing sloppy defense at the very times they should be playing tighter defense. That shouldn't be happening. If there's one thing the Sioux should be good at, it's defense.

Hakstol has said that the Sioux sometimes don't play with "killer instinct," failing to put an opponent away when the opportunity arises. We saw that on a Saturday night against UAA and a Saturday night against UMD.

Hakstol has said that the team needs to learn to play with a lead. I'm not convinced that UND is solid in that area.

Hakstol has said that certain players need to halt their patterns of undisciplined penalties. Nothing much has changed there, either.

Hakstol has said that with the NCAA's greater emphasis on calling penalties, speical teams play will be very important. The Sioux power play continues to struggle. With UND going 3-18 on the powerplay this weekend, I see no reason to believe that the Sioux have improved in that area.

Offensively, the Sioux are better with Murray back in the lineup. That's the one area I can see improvement.

Exactly. I didn't say that anyone got injured. I said the type of hit delivered to Murray was potentially career ending and should have been a penalty.

The replay showed what happened and how Murray lost his helmet. The replay also showed Anderson standing there watching the play unfold with an ideal view. It was a flagrant penalty on a dangerous play. Anderson saw it and did nothing.

A short time earlier, he had no problem putting UMD 5-on-3 for a full two minutes for two hits that didn't come close to rivaling what the Bulldog player did to Murray.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this non-penalty. The Duluth dman used a WWF move slamming his head into the boards. How Anderson didn't call that was beyond me.

This series was probably the worse reffed one I've seen this year. For both teams. A couple of the Dogs penalties were pretty weak. Calling both Greene and Jones for that 2:00 5X3 killed the Sioux. How many 5X3's were there this weekend?

That said the refs were bad but the Sioux defense was worse last night. They can't allow 40 shots and expect to win a game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously some people don't know what "potential" means. It is not too late for you people to ask for a dictionary in your stocking. ???

Did anyone else think Phil was a little slow reacting on the first and fourth goals? Both goals required him to slide from the right side to the left. I know you can't move too fast or you will get out of position, but it looked like he was either having a slow reaction or just being lazy about it. I wonder if this is a weakness for Phil. ???

Hey folks,

Missed out on the game last night because, unlike my brother, when I work late on game days, I can't listen to the game.

Anyway, I can't comment on the game at all, but I think you guys should be happier than you are. A 5-1 win on Friday when you've been complaining about a lack of offensive effort from your team? You should be happy with a split at the DECC, instead of harping on your team. I mean, I was happy to be swept by Wisconsin for crying out loud, because at least we played well and hung in there against a really good team. I do a fair amount of grumbling about the 'Dogs but I think you all need to get some perspective! It doesn't count until February, anyway.

I can see how one could interpret "potential career-ending hit" as someone got injured. I don't know why you're all of a sudden attacking UMDDogz when he posts on here all the time and is pretty respectful of the Sioux and of everyone on here. The Sioux drop one to the 'Dogs and you turn on the 'Dogs fans? We're not on here gloating or anything. Every other game we're pulling for the Sioux.

Congrats on the win Friday night. But I'm really happy about the 'Dogs win last night. It's been so long since we won a game against you all, I think this will really be a confidence booster for us.

I don't know why you're all of a sudden attacking UMDDogz when he posts on here all the time and is pretty respectful of the Sioux and of everyone on here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is like we are professional wrestling. ??? I think there is a big problem with people making statements about a game that they did not see. If someone is only getting information from a friend, radio announcers, etc., they need to state that when making big claims about a game. Of course, that is just my opinion. :angry: