SiouxSports.com Forum

BCS

dakotadan

O.K. I realize that this doesn'r pertain to UND football, but I wan't sure which forum to put it in. I understand the whole DI and DI-AA thing but I have a question about the BCS. I realize that the BCS schools are all DI-A. But they were talking tonight on ESPN about Utah being the first non-BCS school to make the BCS bowls and their coach being hired at MIAMI(?) or maybe FLORIDA(?), I didn't catch it all?!?!?!. My question is what is the difference between being a DI(A) school and being a Bowl Championship Series school? I know that there is a difference but I was just wondering what the difference is. Is it just a matter of paying the BCS a certain amount of money to be bowl eligable or is there other requirements involved?

The BCS teams are those from the ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, and PAC-10. The winners of these conferences are guaranteed a spot in one of the four BSC bowls (the Rose, Sugar, Orange, or Fiesta)

All other I-A conferences are non-BSC conferences. These non-BSC conferences include the Mountain West, WAC, Sun Belt, MAC, and Conference USA.

However, the new legilation includes that the non-BSC automatic bid conference team is rated in the Top 6 in the BSC rankings that they would get a bowl bid.

I hate the BSC. Auburn, Utah, and Boise State are all undefeated and will not get a chance to proove they are the national title winner. All three could finish undefeated along with either Oklahoma or USC.

Let's get a playoff system like DII or I-AA.

I don't know. I'd love to see Boise St. vs. Utah in the Orange Bowl. It won't happen, but it would be fun to watch.

This season, by enlarge, has been a great season. Especially if you are like me, and despise every team ESPN adores. It was fun watching UNC, Clemson, and Virginia Tech defeat the Hurricanes. It was fun to watch Boise St., Louisville, Utah, and Auburn.

I think the BCS is flawed, but no worries. They've revamped it coming up (2006 it goes into effect?). After that, when that also fails, I'm optimistic that enough schools will buy into the BCS being a flawed, failed system and scrap it for the playoff system that works so much better.

Living in Ann Arbor I've been able to experience many positives from the BCS. My wolverines (who got embarrassed by Ohio State) get an automatic bid for winning the Big 11. The system bothers me that a team in Auburn can go undefeated in the SEC beating Tennessee twice (on the road, and in atlanta at the SEC championship), defending national champion LSU, Florida on the road, and destroyed Georgia between the Hedges. I also feel bad for California who goes from playing the mighty maize and gold in the rose bowl, to playing Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl. The only way a true champion can be chosen is to have a playoff. Critics say how much the bowls draw in money for the school so i have came up with a plan to make the system benfecial and fair.

I believe a playoff can be made attainable by inviting the top two teams out of the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big 11, and Pac 10. Then invite the conference champions (based on regular season records, thus eliminating conference championship games) from the Big East, Conference USA, Mt. West, WAC, MAC, and the best independant school (Notre Dame year in and out) and seed them accordingly. The number one team in the polls should play the 16 seed, 2-15, 3-14, and so on. In the first round of the playoffs 8 games will be played. Each game should be played at a different bowl site. For example USC (1) could play Toledo (#16 based on available teams) at the Sun Bowl a neutral site. #2 Oklahoma would meet #15 Ohio State at the Motor City Bowl, and so forth. The 4 major bowls (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange) could still be the 4 biggest games. They could rotate every four years being the championship game as well as the semifinals. I believe this format is the closest you can get to a clear cut winner and keeping the universities happy and the bowls in tact.

Sorry for the length of this post but hopefully it will inspire us to strive for a better system in Division 1 college football.

I still don't see why people will want to d***k around with the smaller bowls with trying to create a D1-A Playoffs. Seed the teams 1 thru 16(or 24 or 32), the top seeds host the playoff game. Schedual right, you could easily have the Semifinals games around New Years, and can have those places that host the big bowls have the games there. The Championship game can rotate from place to place, much like the Superbowl. Probably will never happen. We'll see Peace in the Middle East before they get themselves a playoffs. :D