SiouxSports.com Forum

NCC Commissioner

UND Fan

As noted below, Roger is one of two finalists for the NCC Commissioner job. I know Roger - he is really a good guy. I think he would do a great job as commissioner plus I think he is in over his head a bit when it comes to the business end of being the AD at UND. I really don't mean that to be a negative statement about him. I just think it may be good for all parties if he takes that job!

Collins and Thomas Named Finalists For NCC Commissioner

Posted: 12/2/04 11:27

Tom Collins of Buies Creek, N.C. and Roger Thomas of Grand Forks, N.D. have been named the finalists for the position of commissioner of the North Central Conference. Both candidates will interview for the position before representatives and chief executive officers of the league

• 3 weeks later...

I have a feeling Roger will be offered this job. Considering the pressing need to find another member or members, it would seem that it would be better to have a commissioner who definitely understands the issues and probably has contacts with some of the target schools.

If UND will need to hire a new a.d., this person would be a strong candidate if he's still interested. He was a finalist with RT the last time the job was open. He's a GF native and a UND grad with a lot of experience in athletic administration at one of the most prominent schools in the country, and I think he'd be particularly strong on the business end of things.

• 4 weeks later...

According to the WDAZ sports last night, it sounds like RT is going to be offered the commissioner's job. One of the issues is whether he can remain in GF, or whether he must move to Sioux Falls. I found it interesting that the chair of the selection committee is none other than mr. politically correct himself, Roy Saigo of St. Cloud St.

If Roger was to become commissioner, it might be wise to consolidate the UND AD and REA general manager positions into one position. This would attract even higher caliber applicants with more pay. Granted, it might be difficult to accomplish (with two different lines of authority - the state, UND, and the REA committee), but it would help streamline and give a sense of common purpose to both.

Under the idea from star2city I'd think that that you'd need:

- an REA operations manager to handle the mundane day-to-day stuff (call it assistant AD for facilities operations)

- the existing assistant AD structure (with modifications if appropriate) in athletics

Under that notion you'd have one leader setting the direction for both operations.

There've been too many times in the recent past where too many have wondered if UND Athletics and REA really were going for a common cause. A common leader, if the right person, could cure that.

KFAN said that Roger would be named NCC Commish tommorrow officially.

So this brings the question: WHat's next for UND? This could mean serious problems if an AD of Kupchella's mindset is hired. Roger is money minded, sure, but he also listened to the students as best he could. I mean, even if the results didn't end up the way we wanted it, I still got the impression that he at least took the time and common decensy to hear me out.

Who do you all think would make the list of potential candidates?

I have a feeling Roger will be offered this job. Considering the pressing need to find another member or members, it would seem that it would be better to have a commissioner who definitely understands the issues and probably has contacts with some of the target schools.

If UND will need to hire a new a.d., this person would be a strong candidate if he's still interested. He was a finalist with RT the last time the job was open. He's a GF native and a UND grad with a lot of experience in athletic administration at one of the most prominent schools in the country, and I think he'd be particularly strong on the business end of things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is a good idea.

No apple carts will be tipped--->see Fighting Sioux nickname issue<--- :D

UND would be crazy not to bring him in to the fold!!