SiouxSports.com Forum

Brookings Register Article - SDSU

star2city

The SDSU Div. I decision may be delayed. An article in the October 14th, (2002) Brookings Register quoted Fred Oien as follows:

Oien believes that SDSU needs to made a decision, one way or another, about a move to DI, by September of next year.
That would seem to imply that a conference deal with the Mid-Continent and NDSU is still possible for 2004-2005, leaving them both as football independents. SDSU's CSL market analysis makes heavy mention of the Mid-Continent.

In response to a question about the possibility of State going DI as an independent, Oien stated emphatically that the university would not make the move unless they had secured a position in a conference. Without that, he said, scheduling would be too difficult.

The NDSU athletic department must be pulling out whatever hair they have left over this situation. SDSU is their last hope of any reasonable travel partner within the Mid-Continent (or much less likely, the Big Sky).

Full article:

SDSU Officials Field Questions

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the part where a fan challenged that they wouldn't win national championships anymore once they moved D-IAA, and the athletic director answered, "It's not like we've (SDSU) been banging down the doors for national championships (in Division II)."

Remember that NDSU pledged not to move without a conference affiliation. However, when their Big Sky plan fell through, they pushed the move through anyway. In the end, it's what the administration wants that counts.

"It's not like we've (SDSU) been banging down the doors for national championships (in Division II)."

With inspirational comments like that from the athletic director of my alma mater, it's no wonder SDSU hasn't won a national championship since 1963. :D

• 2 weeks later...

President Miller is the driver on this move. She is an outsider and spent a few bucks to read up on South Dakota when she got thejob a few years back. That being said, I think she is a very smart lady and is not one to be swallowed in the South Dakota typical stuck in the mud attitude. She see where the University can do better without a D1 hockey program. We have no Norwegian mafia amongst our alums like the Ralph Englestad and his almighty Imperial Palance and now his on campus Ice Arena. We will stick to selling Ice Cream cones at SDSU. We have no enterprises that can not be controlled on campus such as an Ice Arena at UND. Will UND ever see the deed for that monster? Probably never.

We are also are sympathic towards Native Americans and if some how the mascot Jackrabbits was offensive to Native Americans we would change it. Land of the Sioux, HOW RACIST, when ninety percent of you up there are either polocks or norskies.

So yes the move to D1 looks risky, but thank god we have an outsider like President Miller willing to stick her neck on the chopping block. Take it easy on Fred, he is my friend and is only doing his job.

SDSUFAN -- and I am only saying that because I care -- there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing. rolleyes.gif

You aren't doing your university or its president any favors by posting here and putting your ignorance on public display. Perhaps you should follow the example of SDSU President Miller and "spend a few bucks" to read up on UND.

SDSU's new motto: Our goal is to suck at a higher level.

SDSUFAN -- and I am only saying that because I care -- there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing. rolleyes.gif

You aren't doing your university or its president any favors by posting here and putting your ignorance on public display. Perhaps you should follow the example of SDSU President Miller and "spend a few bucks" to read up on UND.

SDSU's new motto: Our goal is to suck at a higher level.

I dont need to read up on UND your stupidity in buying in Ralph Englestad and his so called 100 million dollar donations speaks for itself, I guess the taxpayers of North Dakota just sold off their prize Univerisity. Good luck under the new ownership Of Ralph Englestad Enterprises.

SDSUFAN, seriously, check out the decaf brands. xyxthumbs.gif

I hope that you're just a fan of SDSU and not a graduate because I would like to think that an alumnus of my alma mater could A) come up with an intelligent argument based on facts and B) write a coherent sentence.

Next time, try to avoid posting the morning after you closed down the Ram Pub. nono.gif

PCM:

Yes I am a grad. Yes I can write a coherent sentence. Yes I bet I support SDSU hell of lot more with my pocket book than you do. What year did you graduate from SDSU? Are you saying that there was no donation of 100 million to UND by Ralph Englestad? Are you saying UND has the deed to his ice palace? Are you denying that Ralph's company does not run the Ice palace or what ever you call that monster up in the frozen tundra? Facts? Since you are so much a hockey fan can you clue me in how the funds are being handled? Whose pocket do they flow to? To uncle Ralph? Or do they really go to the university? Since one of your other UND fans accused me of being clueless, why not educated me by answering my questions. Maybe a lot of beer sloshing UND Hockey fans are clueless and have no idea whats going on right in front of their blood thirsty eyes. Is that why there is hockey? So some one one can beat the sh$t out another guy? Lovely sport I might say. Gee why hasnt SDSU added that sport? The answer to that is that PCM has kept all his hard earned dollar in Grand Forks AND GOT SLOSHING DRUNK AT THE ENGLESTAD ENTERPRISE ICE ARENA.

By the way I do go to Ram Pub when I am in Brookings. They do serve good meals the Ram Pub. I have no need for alchohol spirits. So I did not spent too much time there last evening.

PCM:

Since my grammar did not pass your standards in other posts, I thought would be important to point out an error in my prior post.

I meant to say "dollars", plural and not "dollar" Could the reason for UND not going D1 is that Hockey that "whore sport" is taking all the revenue away from the other sports? Just a clueless question here.

I know this is a UND board, but who really cares? I dont.

Check out the edit button, it will help you correct your rants. Good you don't use alcohol, it would no doubt create some serious problems when combined with the pills you're taking.

Having lived in SD for several years and being a friend of a UND graduate prof at SDSU, I can say I'm glad most South Dakotans (none that I know) don't share your idiocy. Chill.

Since my grammar did not pass your standards in other posts...

I never said anything about your grammar. I said your sentences weren't coherent. But because you seem to be doing a bit better in that department now, perhaps you could work on your reading comprehension skills.

Could the reason for UND not going D1 is that Hockey that "whore sport" is taking all the revenue away from the other sports? Just a clueless question here.

What it comes down to is that you don't like hockey as a sport.

And you're right, your question was clueless, so I'm not going to waste my time answering it.

SDSUFAN:

1. Please stop making SDSU grads look like morons. Thank you.

2. How much money you give to SDSU and the year I graduated have nothing to do with what's being discussed here.

3. As another poster pointed out, you are clueless -- totally. What I don't need is a holier-than-thou clueless person lecturing me about what's happening at UND and in Grand Forks. Now, I could spend my precious time pointing out all the lies, distortions and inaccuracies in your posts, but it's much more entertaining to watch you make a fool of yourself.

4. If you don't like the color of Ralph's money, I suggest that you direct your whining to Daktronics, a company in Brookings founded and run by SDSU grads, that obviously has no problem taking millions of dollars from Ralph Engelstad and the taxpayers of Grand Forks. Let's just call it UND's contribution to the Brookings economic development fund.

5. I played hockey while I attended SDSU. The students and faculty members I played with loved the game. But certainly it's much easier to trash a sport you don't understand than it is to actually learn something about it.

6. I've never had an alcoholic beverage in the Engelstad Arena.

7. The Ram Pub does have good food. That's one thing on which we can agree.

POST MENUSTRAL SYNDROME AKA PCM

So you played club hockey (BFD)

A moron, not me. What has Dakotonics have to do with UND other than they sold a few scoreboards to uncle Ralphy. SDSU does not take money from people involved in gambling and if they were offered the the terms of the gift would ensure that the University had not sold their soul. Now if you don like it put it where the moon dont shine.

HAVE A BEER SLOSHING GOOD TIME AT ENGLESTAD.

So you played club hockey (BFD)
I never said it was a big deal. In fact, as a team, we stunk. But we played and we had fun. I only brought it up to illustrate the fact that not everyone associated with SDSU is as narrow-minded and bigoted as you when it comes to college hockey.

What has Dakotonics have to do with UND other than they sold a few scoreboards to uncle Ralphy.

"Dakotonics" has nothing to do with it. Daktronics, however, made millions selling video scoreboards and other equipment to Engelstad and the Alerus Center. Face it, SDSUFAN, the Norwegian Mafia has its hooks into the Brookings economy. smhair2.gif

SDSU does not take money from people involved in gambling and if they were offered the the terms of the gift would ensure that the University had not sold their soul.

Do you seriously expect me to believe that SDSU would turn down a $100 million gift from a donor who legally made hundreds of millions of dollars in construction, real estate and gambling? Do you realize how many ice cream cones SDSU would have to sell to make that up?

lach.gif

Perhaps this quote by SDSU President Peggy Miller from the Argus Leader more than anything explains SDSUFAN's attitude toward UND:

"Fred and I did everything but throw ourselves in front of cars to convince them," said Miller. "But the hockey schools felt like they were already there."

Apparently Miller and SDSUFAN's buddy Freddy O. believe the DI hockey schools in the NCC have thrown a monkey wrench into their plan to go DIAA. (Where have we heard this before?) Certainly they'd have nothing against the university that's the "800-pound gorilla" of hockey schools in the NCC, would they?

7bannersweb.jpg

PCM:

No SDSU would not turn down a 100 million donation. In accepting that donation, the acceptence would be on the terms and conditions of the institution and not the individual donor. In other words, that individual donor would not be able to pressure a firing of a president nor a AD, such as Terry Wanless, another SDSU grad, I might add. In appearence, Ralph Englestad was able to give President Baker and Wanless their walking papers because they were trying to find a workable solution to the mascot issue and the objectionable name "The Fighting Sioux". This is an issue thats not going to go away judging from reading another thread on here.

The UND alums are not correct in saying that this is tradition. I believe the Fighting Sioux was adopted by UND in 1931 or there abouts. So 70 years is hardly tradition when you consider the Lakota have been on the plains of the upper midwest for centuries. Being called the Flickertails is not all the bad. A nice prarie name for athletics.

As far as President Miller and the hockey schools, well they failed to see her arguements for various reasons. My guess and its a guess, is that at Mankato and St Cloud, the hockey costs are cutting into the budgets of other sports. Mankato has been reported funding only 30 of 36 football scholarships. At St Cloud, and I learned this from a assistant at SDSU who is out competing against St Cloud in recruiting, the number they have been able to fund is 27.5. So as enjoyable as hockey is to you and others at UND, its a very expensive sport for these two schools. Of course they would not want to go D1AA.

With Morris and Crookston going back to D3, and Dultuth joining the NCC for a while, the NSIC becomes attractive at SCSU and MSU-Mankato. Don't rule out that movement as possible future scenario.

UNO is in a bind in that just before Pat Behrn, a former UND coach took over at UNO, and had a season where few games were won, the Nebraska Board of Regents was about to do away with all sports at UNO. Some of the regents felt a commuter school should not have athletics period. Winning the NCC in 1996 and losing to NWMSU in the playoffs that year saved the entire sports program at UNO. I dont think they would get the approval and support to move despite being in a population center of over 300,000.

In addition, over half of the UNO student body is made up of old gizzers like myself, they are to busy doing other things to watch a football game.

UNO hockey came about because of people in Omaha wanted the sport, not because its a student choice. So far even with empty paid seats, UNO is making it as far as hockey is concerned. But without a national championship the novelty of Hockey is proabably wearing off in Omaha.

Also the article talks about Plan B which apparently has got everyone Grand Forks parnoid along with our so called rivals in Sioux Falls and Vermillion.

My good friend Fred is out speaking by invitation and as a recommendation in the Carr Report. The support for the move is growing so I will let nature takes its course and not worry about whats happening at UND.

That article states that the Board of Regents may shoot the SDSU move to D1AA down. Of course the current board is made up of enough votes with USD ties to shoot it down. The problem is that 5 of the 6 are Jankalow appointees. "Wild Bill" Janklow leaves office this January.

If the polls are correct, Mike Rounds a SDSU grad will be the next governor. Mike was sitting next to President Miller on Hobo day so I think in the long run the move will be approved by the Board of Regents. If not in December than in next year.

I was very skeptical of the move at first, but if we were willing to study the move which we have and have the results to proceed in a responsible manner than why not support the move. It can be done and I am not about to pull in my contributions that have been more than $2000 last year.

Ralph Engelstad Arena, Inc., owns the building because the ND Legislature passed a law that says sports arenas can't be given to state schools unless they first show a profit. Thus, REA Inc., has to own it until it shows said profitability.

Beginning in May of 2003 (per the GF Herald), profits from REA, Inc., will go directly to the UND Athletic Department. Just last month REA Inc. turned over a check to cover the entire costs of Division I womens hockey for this season. That was completely unexpected. Let's see, profits to UND, but losses (because the arena is privately held) are someone else's. Rough deal, eh?

Where this fantasy that UND mens hockey costs the school money comes from I'll never know. It costs $1.8 million to run that program at UND. At $325 per season seat that means about 5550 season tickets to break even. They've sold out all the season seats and have a waiting list. That extra revenue is the funding source that drives the rest of the UND Athletics machine, not vice versa.

There's a big difference between not liking hockey and being jealous of someone else's program.

Sicatoka:

Your fellow poster from UND, PCM, who claims to be an SDSU alum brought up the topic of hockey schools and President Miller. I really dont have a quarrel with UND, or any other NCC hockey schools. That being said, I see no reason SDSU should stay D2 so that the other NCC schools can preserve their hockey programs. SDSU has no need for a hockey program. If we want to take a risk in moving up, let us do so and dont blame us for the NCC falling apart. The NCC is not a sacred cow. I think all the current members have special concerns and different goals and that diversity, is causing the conference to go up in smoke.

Your fellow poster from UND, PCM, who claims to be an SDSU alum brought up the topic of hockey schools and President Miller. I really dont have a quarrel with UND, or any other NCC hockey schools.

I don't "claim to be and SDSU alum," I am one. In fact, Mike Rounds and I graduated from high school in the same class. And the only reason I brought up President Miller's quote about the hockey schools was in an attempt to understand your hostility toward UND.

Just so you know, SDSUFAN, I have given money to SDSU and have never given a dime to UND because I am not a graduate of that university. I do try to follow the Jackrabbits and cheer them on when I can.

Now you say you have no quarrel with UND. Could have fooled me. If that's the case, then why are you here?

PCM:

This an open forum, I dont have to have a reason to be here. Maybe I am interested in whats going on at UND. I used to have a great deal of respect for UND until Ralph and his funny money showed up a few years back. As I said I can't imagine SDSU allowing anyone to do what

UND has allowed Ralph to do but that their choice. At least Sicokata explained how the working arrangement is going based on law etc.

I supose it could work out good for UND if there is a profit on REA, but with the ALerius and REA competing for the same shows and revenue that could be a problem. The circus comes to town once a summer and both places could be competing for the same concerts and conventions along with the FargoDome 75 miles down the road. Oh well, I will let you folks worry about.