SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. South Dakota

Let'sGoHawks!

Belmore is going to have to be the guy to lead us into the playoffs. This game could be tough, South Dakota has a good team. I just hope we can get into the playoffs. Too bad our offense hasn't been consistent this year, hopefully we can start being consistent now and through the playoffs. This will likely be the last home game of the year, so go to the game and make some noise!

If it wasn't for the fact that there's a home hockey series this weekend, this probably would have been a good game to play at night. I've never noticed a drop-off in hockey attendance due to deer hunting, but it has definitely affected football attendance over the years.

I look at this game as huge for more than the obvious playoff implications. To potentially finish at 3-3 in the NCC and in fourth place would make this season a big failure in my estimation considering the expectations. The defense needs to put last week behind them and get back to dominating. Losing at home is not an option. :silly:

Amen to all remarks, this is the last home game for players that played in 2001 and helped bring UND the National Championship. This is also a game for the underclassmen to show where next year will be headed. I am an avid hunter but no way would I miss this game. Hunt in the morning, hunt in the evening, but Sioux in the afternoon!

Good luck Sioux football. Just a thought--if many of the football fans are hunters, why wasn't the game moved to Thursday night or Sunday mid-afternoon. Many states do not allow hunting on Sundays,but I don't know what the law is in North Dakota.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure that UND would have had to get USD's permission to move the game to a day other than Saturday, and USD would have no incentive to oblige. Plus, I suspect that Dale Lennon himself would not have been in favor of moving the game to a different day.

Glas missed a ~31yd FG attempt.

USD ties it, 7-7, 12:24 remaining in the half. UND almost held on. From a 1st and goal, UND D held off three attempts, but the 3rd was ruled pass intereference, bringing on another 1st and goal. UND then stuffed 2 running attempts, but USD got in on the 3rd.

UND scores, 14-7, 5:50 reamining in the half. Belmore is doing well, 11/15 for 130yds, TD to Wisthoff.

14-14. 5:28 remaining in half. USD answered immediately with 72 yd run by Logan. He's up to about 170 rushing yds in the 1st half. What has become of our run D?

21-14 UND. Belmore to Weber. The USD secondary is awful -- Sioux receivers are open on every play and our coaches seem to be figuring that out. Unless both teams adjust big at the half, this one's a shootout.

I do not envy the position that the regional selection committe is in. Frankly, I think the UNO loss hurts UND. Despite the better overall record, UNO was better in the confernce and was absolutely dominant against UND last week, do they still go over UND?? That is what will decide the whole thing. With a win, though, I am salavating at the idea of a potential matchup at Winona. And Belmore sounds great today, probably a combo of terrible USD pass D and gaining confidence after every completion.

UNO losing to Mankato, Western Washington and Indiana, PA should knock them out of consideration you would think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't earned access automatically get them in though, assuming UND keeps this up and wins?? That loss makes me think the NCC will only get 2 teams in the playoffs, UNO would seem to be in, and St Cloud would seem to be in as well. Who knows??

Thank you to the Coyote defense for waking up a what had been a below average offense to this point, though. How have these guys only lost 1 game to this point with what sounds like the worst pass defense UND has faced in quite a few years??

Kind of odd when you think about it, UNO did literally the same thing in 2001. They had a playoff spot in the bag, but lost their last 2 or 3 in games they had no business losing to lose the conference title and their playoff hopes after beating UND. A disturbing trend for Mav fans, but it remains to be seen if it will cost them the playoffs this year.