SiouxSports.com Forum

BRIDGES update

jimdahl

Still, I wonder why there aren't any obscenity laws.  Is this not true?

I'm not a lawyer or in law enforcement, but I assume that there are state or local obscenity laws that might apply in this case. The question is: Does anyone bother to enforce them? Without a specific complaint, my guess is no.

Bad Eagle makes a lot of sense here. The issue isn't the logo, it is people's conduct and their taste, or lack of it. The logo should be positive. It should be uplifting. People who want to remove the logo will not solve the ultimate problems perceived related to the logo.

This has been argued by many of us already, so it is not news but it is nice to hear again from someone who seems more "involved" in this issue. One hopes that over time those opposed to the logo can also appreciate this position.

Now I feel guilty for wearing that NDSUcks shirt while at UND. Oh well. I wore my Sioux Jersey (new logo) at work last week. I had a lot of compliments. Even if those opposed to the logo have to admit, it's a sharp logo design.

The wierd thing, in this day of political correctness, it actually crossed my mind not to wear it on a casual friday. I was actually thinking of leaving it home because of a slight worry that "it was politically incorrect" to wear it. Even though here in Ft. Collins, CO not many people know about that controversy.

Now if I can just convince the "powers that be" that Ashley Judd in her Kentucky hockey jersey IS appropriate for my screensaver. damn!

:D

I wore my Sioux Jersey (new logo) at work last week. I had a lot of compliments. Even if those opposed to the logo have to admit, it's a sharp logo design.

:D

If it can change Doreen Yellow Birds oppinion about art. It ain't all bad.

Story in GF Herald: Logo display meets the definition of art by Doreen Yellow Bird.(A New Sioux jersey was there)

In Ms Yellow Birds own words:So what is art?That is a good question because it's rather in the eye of the beholder.

Ms Yellow Bird again:Does the Pimup Toon Kitchi Animoose exhibition meet that criterion?Yes, Doreen stated.

This exhibition was held at the UND International Center Oct7-9. :0

BRIDGES and that ilk merely seem to be preaching to the choir. They bring in people of like mind and don't encourage a rational dialogue regarding the name, or anything else. I wonder when they're going to bring in somebody to talk about other issues in NA culture, e.g., crime, alcoholism, gangs, health issues, poverty, etc.

Scott, They don't want to address the real problems, they are concerned about the issues that get the most attention. They are in it for themselves. Most of this has to do with these White hand wringing Liberal Professors trying to tell others how they are supposed to think. I am sorry I don't need some liberal telling me how to think. They don't want to address the real issue they just want to blow a bunch of hot air around and make a name for themselves.

Also, you want to throw Johnny Hoff or Dana Williams off ask them when was the last time they went to one of North Dakotas 4 Indian Rerservation and helped out/volunteered. Never they never have once. They haven't done a thing for Natives, these are the same people they claim they are fighting for.

Even more obsurd, this past week, Doren LittleBird finally acknowledged that there is a gang problem on the states reservations. I was like DUH, she just realized this.

In my past job I went to Fort Totten and some of the other reservations quite often to recruit students for an education institution. Their main concerns wasn't when UND was going to change the name. But how they could get away from some of the problems that plague their daily lives. The P.C. crowd is out of touch.

Just got a speaking engagement at Pennsylvannia State University, December 5. Isn't that where Doreen Yellowbird just was, like on Novemeber 2? What an irony. Well, she is Arikara, and Arikara are not known for being great fans of the Sioux, either, like the Chippewa (Ojibwe), and most of the other faculty there at UND. I don't think there is a Sioux on the faculty, correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, historically, no one was a fan of the Comanche! We were everyone's enemy. Well, how else do you build the greatest hunting empire in the history of the continent? We did it in three generations. I posted an article about this, on Young America's Foundation called "Nation Building Comanche Style." It was posted also on ProjectUSA, but has since been archived. Have a look.

My point, Indians are not known for working together, or uniting in a common cause. We don't really think of ourselves as a "race," like others do. We are individual tribes of people, with different cultures, and different languages. If we thought "race," we would have united long ago, and there would never have been anything but a "Red" America. Believe me!

The modern efforts to unite us are basically political in nature. Indian leaders have been "liberalized" at the communist oriented educational institutions of America, most of which institutions don't even realize their role in this. These Indians think "race," and think that all Indians agree, and unite. Those that don't are a pestilential annoyance, like me, I suppose.

I try to be a realist. Indians will never unite. America is here to stay. I say roll with it.

Just got a speaking engagement at Pennsylvannia State University, December 5.  Isn't that where Doreen Yellowbird just was, like on Novemeber 2?   What an irony.  Well, she is Arikara, and Arikara are not known for being great fans of the Sioux, either, like the Chippewa (Ojibwe), and most of the other faculty there at UND.  I don't think there is a Sioux on the faculty, correct me if I'm wrong.  

Yes Bad Eagle you are correct. I believe also there aren't many if any Faculty members of Nakota/Lakota/Dakota (Sioux) decent at UND. I wounder why that is?

I also think many of the opponets of the Fighting Sioux Symbol are of Chippewa decent. I find that Ironic.

Bad Eagle you work is very enlightening and educational. I look forward to reading more of your writings in the future.

Doreen Yellowbird Well, she is Arikara, and Arikara are not known for being great fans of the Sioux, either,

The modern efforts to unite us are basically political in nature. Indian leaders have been "liberalized" at the communist oriented educational institutions of America, most of which institutions don't even realize their role in this. These Indians think "race," and think that all Indians agree, and unite.

Oh so you have read her "writtings" of being an Indian/Native/First-American. You have her summed up pretty well. :0:D

Indian studies celebrated 25 years of being a program.Know who was one of the people who started it?First name Thomas second name Clifford.

Do you think that pains Lucy Ganjee? :0 I hope so! Since Tom is one of the Largest "Fighting Sioux" fans there are! :0

I can imagine what Yellow Bird said: Us/We poor Indian/Native/First-Americans.Everone picks on US.

Good Luck, Doreen probably gave them a good brain washing.

But we know you will de-program them. :0

Go Fighting Sioux!

Dr. Y you really should come to a UND hockey game.I think "we" could get you a seat. :0

eh gang? :D