SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Mankato Photos

jimdahl

Despite unusual difficulties getting a media pass, official Midwest Dahl-family representative and intrepid amateur photographer, John, got some good looking photos. (From the stands?)

10/16/04 UND at Mankato Photos

If you haven't used the SiouxSports.com photo galleries before, the images on that page are thumbnails. Click on the thumbnail to see a much higher resolution version.

Despite unusual difficulties getting a media pass, official Midwest Dahl-family representative and intrepid amateur photographer, John, got some good looking photos.  (From the stands?)

10/16/04 UND at Mankato Photos

If you haven't used the SiouxSports.com photo galleries before, the images on that page are thumbnails.  Click on the thumbnail to see a much higher resolution version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GREAT PICTURES KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973

Yep, it's with a digital Canon SLR and a L-series (pro series) lens. Flash does no good at distances such as these unless it's a strobe built in to the facility (Xcel has such a system), but I do boost the effective film speed to 800 for hockey - if I push it higher I get more noise tha I like. The Mankato Civic Center has a lot of dark spots and isn't well-configured for media, but the staff most every place in the WCHA are helpful and accomodating.

My favorite photo of the bunch is: http://siouxsports.com/galleries/51/011.jpg , which I think is one of the most interesting action shots I've captured yet.

John

Some really great shots.  For those of you in the know on these things, I assume that they are digital shots, eh?  Does one use a flash, or do you set the "film" speed at a really high ASA?

Nice work Dahl.  Send more if you can.

NDH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again Johnny Dahl. Great shots. I agree. The one with Schneider jumping is pretty cool.

I used to try and shoot Sioux hockey in the late 70's, when you could get a seat by the ice anywhere, because tickets and seats were not hard to come by in the relatively lien Rube years.

It ain't easy shooting hockey, because the finger is always a split second slower than the eye. Combine that with the speed of the game, and it tells those in the know that you need a great sense of anticipation to be a great hockey photographer. Keep up the anticipation there Johnny D.