SiouxSports.com Forum

Shepard Road Westbound @ 35E...

MafiaMan

I'm driving my car the other day westbound on Shepard Road and glance over to the car next to me in the left lane. Obviously hoping to see a Russian blonde hottie flashing me, I am clearly disappointed when it's not the case. However, I did a double-take as I notice the male driver sporting a Fighting Sioux hockey jersey. I laughed out loud...was it Friday and I'm late for the game in Mankato? No. He couldn't find his Nomar Garciaparra jersey, so decided to wear his Sioux jersey to Old Chicago to watch the Red Sox play? No idea. Who was this Sioux fan and why was he wearing his jersey on a Tuesday afternoon at 5:00 pm?

My money says 3-1 shot that he's somewhere on this message board. Any Sioux fan wearing his jersey out and about on a weekday has to be. :blush:

I admit, I wear my jersey on non-game days here in southern minnesota to piss off the gopher fans and show everyone I am a Sioux fan. I see Sioux gear all over. I was at the Vikings vs. Cowboys game and saw a guy wearing a Sioux jersey. He walked past us going up to his seat, my friends and I instantly cheered SIOUX, but were surprised to hear around 10-15 people in our section cheer as well. Sioux fans are everywhere.

I lived out in Phoenix this last year and attended many Coyotes hockey games. There were many times that I would spot people wearing Sioux gear at the arena. One day I was standing in line in the middle of the after noon to pick up my tickets and looked over my shoulder to see a man standing there wearing a Sioux jersey signed by the entire 97 NC team. I was wearing a UND sweatshirt so I walked over to talk to him. He said he had never attended UND or even lived in ND. He said he was just a big hockey fan and had been following the Sioux for many years. Another time I was wearing my usual sioux get-up to a game and the lady behind me tapped me on my shoulder. I turned around and started talking with her. Her brother was sitting just down the row wearing a sioux sweatshirt. She had just moved there from mayville and her brother was visiting her. Aparantly he had just graduated from UND.

Never saw any Gopher fans there.

What can you say, SIOUX fans are everywhere!

I don't necessarily think it's just a Sioux thing...it's a North Dakota thing. Three weeks ago, my softball team was in St Cloud for the State ASA co-rec fall state tournament. I'm in the hotel lobby area eating some breakfast before our game and notice a guy sitting a few seats over. His hat has a big eagle on it...not unlike the South Heart High School eagle logo. He turns around and on the back it says "South Heart" on it. Still not convinced, I notice the bill color is maroon. I walk over and introduce myself. Turns out he's the principal of SHHS and his son is in Milaca for a high school cross country meet. I went to high school in Belfield, 9 miles from South Heart, our natural rival in boys basketball.

I'll wear a Sioux sweatshirt or t-shirt out anytime, but a hockey jersey? C'mon, guys, that's game-day wear only.

i sport mine at coyotes games here in az. gopher fans usually give the "sioux suck" chant if they see you. all fun and games.........trying to decide which ones to bring with me to grand forks for the gooofers series!!! tough decisions in life!!!! :blush:

I dunno...maybe it's just me, but I feel dorky wearing a hockey jersey when no game is going on. It's kind of like being the guy on the street wearing the Culpepper jersey the day after the Vikings get their butts handed to them. Or wearing a Favre jersey yesterday. :blush:

AZ, my son has lived in Phoenix for two years now. He has met other Sioux fans at a sports bar (I believe it is called "O'Sullivans") while watching the games on dish. You do know that former Sioux goalie (and Bemidji native) Steve Peters is the guy in charge of the video stuff for the Coyotes, don't you?

yes, i am there at rto slulivans every game i can't get on direct tv which is many..i do know that steve peters does work with the coyotes. thats cool.. wish there was a season for the coyotes...but oh well i will take sioux hockey over nhl any day of the week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snip---Fan wearing UND jersey in Phoenix. He said he had never attended UND or even lived in ND. He said he was just a big hockey fan and had been following the Sioux for many years. Another time I was wearing my usual sioux get-up to a game and the lady behind me tapped me on my shoulder. I turned around and started talking with her. Her brother was sitting just down the row wearing a sioux sweatshirt. She had just moved there from mayville and her brother was visiting her. Aparantly he had just graduated from UND.

Never saw any Gopher fans there.

What can you say, SIOUX fans are everywhere!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last season I was at X-Cel Energy center and I ran into a guy wearing a #15 Palmo jersey. Said oh are you from North Dakota, the guy was from Wisconsin and was a badger fan. Oh, I said I am sorry... He,he,he...

Guy went on to say that he had met and been befriended by the Palmoscino family. Thought that was weird not the fact that the guy had been a fan of the Tyler but that fact that this was a Badger fan wearing a UND jersey. I don't know about you guys but I would never under any circumstances wear a red menace or a dirty Gopher Jersey.

I taught while wearing my Sioux jersey today. Of course it was jersey day for homecoming week. I wear it any time I go out, because I always will run into someone who is a Sioux fan or just thinks the jersey is cool. BTW, my students love the jersey. I'm doing my best to convert them to hockey. :blush:

I taught while wearing my Sioux jersey today.  Of course it was jersey day for homecoming week.  I wear it any time I go out, because I always will run into someone who is a Sioux fan or just thinks the jersey is cool.  BTW, my students love the jersey.  I'm doing my best to convert them to hockey.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is hockey that big in Cali? Just wondering?

Is hockey that big in Cali? Just wondering?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Short answer: No.

Long answer: There are roller hockey rinks around and some of my students do play, but there isn't much for ice rinks. However, I did get an email that the Staples Center is renting out ice time. ;)

Also they do have some of the all star teams. Need big time bucks to play. I know Wisconsin has nabbed a few kids from LA, including every Sioux fans favorite Robbie Earl.

I was at the Vikings vs. Cowboys game and saw a guy wearing a Sioux jersey.  He walked past us going up to his seat, my friends and I instantly cheered SIOUX, but were surprised to hear around 10-15 people in our section cheer as well.  Sioux fans are everywhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it was the one near my section, that wasn't "good" cheering for that guy, it was JEERING! :blush: Cause I know I was (and many others) giving the one by us the bidness!

WPoS

If it was the one near my section, that wasn't "good" cheering for that guy, it was JEERING! :blush:  Cause I know I was (and many others) giving the one by us the bidness!

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey WPoS . . . .

Whacha doin' wasting your hard-earned money on the supremely boring NFL? No wonder you can't be going to Alaska this weekend. Also, aren't there rules against you using your old lady's welfare money on sporting events?

We's going to Mankato to watch the WCHA tonight and tomorrow. Since the Goophs are on the road, you and your boys and girls might have a good time driving to Mankato to cheer on the Sioux.

Good barking at ya. See you around the river still.

Good grief, WPoS, what do you seel meth out of your basement to help fund these road trips or what? :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crap, you caught me! ;) Nah, just the only one that really is going to cost for sure will be the BU series...the others are all driving, lots of driving....

WPoS

Good grief, WPoS, what do you seel meth out of your basement to help fund these road trips or what? :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WPoS and the long suffering Mrs. WPoS are DINKS. :D

BTW: If you're a woodworker WPoS' basement would make you incredibly jealous. I can basically only cut my hands with a saw and was blown away by his workshop.