SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Basketball

UND Fan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at "Meet the Sioux" tonight, and I have to say that it looks like the hype surrounding Myron Allen is justified. I have been watching NCC basketball for a long time, and I have never seen an athlete as explosive and quick as Allen. Yes, my opinion is based on a fairly brief intra-squad scrimmage, but his ability was very evident. Beasley looked as dominating as ever, too. The potential is there for this team to be extremely good barring serious injuries. It looks like the starting lineup will be Beasley, Allen, Brandt, Porter and Josh Johnson. They should easily be able to go 10-11 deep with Walker, Jahner, Rypkema, Lindahl, Mike Johnson, and possibly Steven Bradley also seeing significant playing time.

The women also look like they could be extremely good. All five starters return, plus the addition of 6'3" juco All American Cara Demaine and some very good freshman.

With the hockey team doing very well so far and the potential for the two b-ball teams, this should be a fun winter. Hopefully it will take away some of the disappointment of the football season.

Another good recruit for Coach Glas -- and Coach Lennon. Aaron Austin, originally from Hallock, MN will transfer to UND and play both sports starting next year. He averaged 15-16 points for Northern Colorado as a freshman and is now playing BB at Fergus Falls JC. He should be a great adition. He will be a junior in eligibility next fall.

The Sioux women are picked by the league coaches to again win the NCC. They received 7 first place votes and 2 second place votes. It's interesting how SDSU has been ranked ahead of the Sioux in the two pre-season national polls, yet only one coach picked them to win the league. SDSU did well in the national tournament while UND did not, but the Sioux did go 3-0 against the Jacks last year, including a 38 point blowout in the finals of the NCC tournament. Both teams return pretty much intact, as does USD. The league looks very tough this year.

The NCC men's basketball preseason media poll was issued today, with the Fighting Sioux picked to finish 2nd. Has the NCC ever been stronger? Several teams have potential to be national champs, if they can only get through the North Central Region!

2002-2003 North Central Conference

Men

I would hope the SDSU men would be the winner this year, but definitely not a cruiser season by any means. UND, USD, UNO and SCSC will provide big time competition. Also Augie and NDSU seem to give us fits all the time. Last year Nagy had some problems getting his Junior based team to play up their potential early in the season. We lost to Winona and Mich Tech, early on. Both games were winnable. I suspect this year Nagy will have some of the same problem with those guys being seniors. Hopefully "Knobby" Josh Cervny will stay healthy for the entire season. I look for the motivation to be a problem at the start of the season and hopefully it will not to costly. Starting off with Truman State and NWMSU will be a challenge, especially the NWMSU Bearcats.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read this article in Fargo Forum

www.in-forum.com/articles/?id=23022

How can Kolpack compare the UND basketball team to the Billeter NDSU teams? I can specifically remember that at least one of his teams did not have a single ND, MN or SD player on it, and generally there were 10 or more d-I or juco transfers. UND has three jucos, no d-I transfers, and nine or ten players recruited out of high school--including seven North Dakotans. It's apples and oranges.

This was my favorite line from the article, "He (Glas) has seven North Dakotans, some of whom may contribute." Yeah, I'd say Jeff Brandt MIGHT contribute. Way to go out on a limb there, Kolpack. Also, Josh Johnson from Devils Lake is a starter and Ryan Walker from Mohall is the 6th man. Jade Jahner from Fargo is the backup point guard, and Evan Lindahl from Cando will likely play significant minutes. Can anyone name a single North Dakotan who even played during the Billiter era? I'm sure there were a few--but very few--and certainly not as many as five who played in a single year.

How can Kolpack compare the UND basketball team to the Billeter NDSU teams?

Kolpack doesn't make the case. But if you're a journalist, why does logic have to be involved? Kolpack is just looking for vindication of NDSU and jabbing UND fans,as witnessed by this quote:

With the right combination of transfers and freshmen recruits, a D-II team can have immediate impact.

That

The Sioux men made something of a statement this weekend by winning the Western Oregon tournament. Big deal, you may say. But the impressive part was that in defeating Western Oregon 99-82 on Saturday night, UND beat the team who had knocked off defending national champion Metro St. the previous night.

The "three-headed monster" of Beasley, Allen and Brandt were huge this weekend. It would be nice to get a couple other guys scoring in double figures, but when these three are scoring 65-75 points, there's not that many more points to go around. I am definitely looking forward to the game with Southwest State this week in GF.

How is SW State this year? I know the last of the Koenen's graduated last year, so it will be interesting to see if they can maintain their level this year. MSU plays there on Dec. 7th which will give me a chance to see them at their place. I think the NCC will be wide-open this year, with any of 7 teams capable of winning it. You have to go with the defending champions, but they will not have their way as easily as last year.

Southwest State has some new faces, was picked fifth in the NSIC coaches' poll. Playing at UND will be tough, but for any team it is a tough place to win.

I hope it's a good game, good test for both teams. The SSU tournament with Mankato, Wayne State, and Michigan Tech is a great field. Too bad Mankato didn't get to play Mich Tech last weekend or during the SSU tournament coming up.

Mankato is tough, alot of new faces, but a tough game with UW-Stout on Saturday?

Great time of the year!

It looks like the Sioux will be short-handed against SW St, and maybe awhile beyond. Myron Allen was hammered going up for a dunk and came down very awkwardly. He suffered several injuries (hip, back, wrist), the severity of which are unknown at this time. Unfortunately, having a 38 inch vertical can be dangerous as he had a long way to fall once he was fouled.

It looks like the Sioux will be short-handed against SW St, and maybe awhile beyond. Myron Allen was hammered going up for a dunk and came down very awkwardly. He suffered several injuries (hip, back, wrist), the severity of which are unknown at this time. Unfortunately, having a 38 inch vertical can be dangerous as he had a long way to fall once he was fouled.

Was this in practice :angry: ?

Maybe now Porter will get out of bed on time and take his role with the team a little more seriously.

Thanks, Pat. I guess I should have read the paper earlier today...

Simply coming back and playing should be a good sign. If he had any broken bones, it doesn't seem that would have been possible. Best to get injuries out of the way early in the year.

Not sure about last night, but a situation like that would have resulted in a scrap not too long ago. Anyone remember that game against the Russian nat'l team (?)? Ben Jacobsen could throw 'em. :angry:

Thanks, Pat. I guess I should have read the paper earlier today...

Simply coming back and playing should be a good sign. If he had any broken bones, it doesn't seem that would have been possible. Best to get injuries out of the way early in the year.

Not sure about last night, but a situation like that would have resulted in a scrap not too long ago. Anyone remember that game against the Russian nat'l team (?)? Ben Jacobsen could throw 'em. :angry:

I think the only reason there wasn't a fight was that the guy who did it seemed like he was truly sorry and it didn't look like he intentionally tried to hurt Allen. He checked on Allen right after he hit the floor, and made a point of apologizing right after the game.

Interestingly, in the radio pre-game show, Scott Swygman said that a pro scout who saw the Sioux play in Oregon last weekend told him (Swygman) that he thought Beasley would be an NBA first round draft pick, and that Allen would play in the NBA also.

Talking with our coaches at SSU, they say Myron Allen (like you don't know already) is the real deal!! A great player. On the radio the Southwest-North Dakota game was great to listen to.

Moorhead beat UND last night? Wow, of course I see Kolpack couldn't wait to rip UND a little today

Just wondering what happened with the team the past few road games? I seen Johnson got benched for Rypkema in Moorhead and Evan "what does the word defense mean" Lindahl in Morris. I can't believe the poor offensive showing in Moorhead. Sounds like Glas has some work to do. I wonder if he will be able to get the boys to play solid half-court basketball instead of this playground crap we have seen so far, I highly doubt it! It seems that the team does not have enough discipline in the half-court game. Brandt likes to shoot the first time he can touch the ball in a set. The boys have a long way to go to be a Elite Eight contender!!

• 2 weeks later...
That Fire and Ice show from NFL Films was great.

Does anyone know if the video with the UND-NDSU "Fire and Ice" segment is still available? I've always wanted to add that one to my library. Having it on DVD would be even better.

The Al wants UND B-Ball as per News on 8 tonight!

The quote from the new guy@the(Al) is that they have a better place than the Ralph.(seating) :)

Gene probably wouldn't want to play there either. ???

What happens to Volley Ball if they play at the Al?

Still think UND isn't thinking about D1aa-D1?? :p

The plot thickens. :)