SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota rivalries

JESUS,family,rutgers

UND is DI only in hockey. For every other sport we are DII. In the past you would say that North Dakota State was the big rival. I guess they still would be, but they jumped up to DIAA in football so every other sport went DI. I think we are only playing them in baseball this year.

The rivalry with Minnesota-Duluth has become an intense hockey battle in recent years. Their head coach was our assistant. Duluth has also joined the North Central Conference for the rest of the sports, so we'll be playing them in just about everything now. So I think that rivalry will heat up. Their head football coach is also a former UND assistant.

I think St. Cloud (MN) kind of gets under everyones skin. They're like the little kid that won't leave you alone. It also doesn't help that they've been trying to change our team name for years. We play them in pretty much every sport as well.

I'd say that, in hockey, our biggest hockey rivals (conference wise) would be Minnesota and Wisconsin.  St. Cloud (otherwise known as JBSU or Jan Brady State) is a pesky nuisance, but generally not the most stressful opponent.

I will echo the sentiment that Duluth is becoming a rival as well. The games have been close, and at times testy the past couple of years. These teams always are up to play each other.

MN

WI

Duluth

(these are my big 3 for hockey)

There is some controversy surrounding UND's mascot, just as there is with the Cleveland Indians, etc.  Check out the area of the forum devoted to this topic for more info.  For some reason, SCSU has taken a more outspoken stance against our mascot than other D1 hockey schools.  Insiders claim they do so to cover up their own problems with anti-semitism, but whatever... it's an administrative thing by the school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What mascot?

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCSU is referred to as Jan Brady State because they are seen by University of Minnesota fans as being analogous to the relationship between Jan and Marcia Brady-- never quite as good, never as respected, and envious because of it. 

EXACTALLY! Except the thing that annoys all of us (not just Gopher fans) is JBSU fan's idiotic demand to be respected when they have yet to show they deserve ANY respect. And Commodore, you forgot that Jan wasn't quite as good looking either! :)

WPoS

Top 3 Rivals (UMD):

Minnesota!! (Who doesn't love pounding the roadents)

JBSU (Dahl is the REAL Satan)

North Dakota (and rapidly rising)

Edit: I guess these are not really rivals...they turned out to be more a list of the teams I most like to see mutilated by ta Dogz.