SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-8, 0-0) vs Kansas City (4-5, 0-0) (Game 1) 1/2 330

SWSiouxMN

UND ran into a Bulldog Buzzsaw in the 2nd half as the Drake press gave UND fits and lead to their defeat in their final non-conference game (we think) of the season.  Now we turn our attention to the Summit and conference play!  Oh, and UND gets to FINALLY play at home!  First up, the "new" kids on the block.  The Roos of Kansas City

About Kansas City

Welcome Back, Welcome Back, Welcome Back!

The Summit League is no stranger to the Roos of Kansas City.  Beginning in 1994, it was their first D1 home, when it was called the Mid-Continent Conference.  Despite some moderate success in the early to mid-2000s, they never could break through and get to the NCAA tournament. They couldn't even get to the championship finals of the conference tournament (at least Chicago State could claim they have done that) Things didn't get any better as the first Dakota schools began to invade, then dominate the league.  In 2012, a decision was made to move to the WAC conference, where they felt that they could be more competitive.  

It didn't work out that way unfortunately.  While they were able to duplicate some of the moderate success, it wasn't quite what they were looking for when they moved.  Given that the WAC at that point was New Mexico State and misfit toys (Grand Canyon was still transitioning), it was a bit disheartening.  After 6 years in the league, it was decided that they were going to come back to their first home.  

Things have changed since they left in 2013.  Gone is Oakland, IUPUI, and Fort Wayne to the Horizon league.  Old buddy Oral Roberts came back to the league in 2015.  Denver joined the league the year they left in 2013.  Oh, and UND decided to come join in 2018.  While some things have changed and will be changing (St. Thomas coming in 2020, a more compact conference footprint, WIU is still here!), some haven't.  The league is still dominated by the Dakota Schools.

Their last year in the WAC also brought change in the form of a new coach, as former Wright State coach Billy Donlon replaced Kareem Richardson and lead the Roos to a improved finish, with a winning record in both conference and overall.  Unfortunately, COVID stopped them from any potential run in the WAC tournament or any postseason play, but it was a solid first year.  

So far this year it has been a mixed bag of success, they nearly took down KSU and Toldeo, but lost to Southeast Missouri State and all 4 of their wins are against lower competition.  However recent developments have really struck the team.  First off, they have injuries to 2 key players in Nesbitt Jr. and Roessink (status TBD).  Then lost two players who decided to transfer in Boykin and Bolden.  The biggest blow came last night as their best player, Brandon McKissic, entered the portal.  This was a significant blow to a team that could have made a surprise splash in the 1st year back.  Now you have to wonder what the rest of the year is going to bring for the Roos.

About Billy Donlon (129-113 overall (Wright State, Kansas City), 20-19 at Kansas City)

The former Wright State coach is in his 2nd year as the Roos coach.  He spent 6 years as Wright States head coach, where he traded top half finishes with bottom half finishes in the Horizon.  He has the unfortunate situation of replacing Brad Brownell, who in his 4 years finished no worse that 3rd in the league and went off to Clemson.  He was let go and replaced by Scott Nagy.   He spent some time in the Big 10 as an assistant (Michigan and NW) before getting his 2nd gig at UMKC.  His calling card is on the defensive end, no matter the talent, his teams will play defense.  His first season was decent in the WAC, now he turns his attention to the Summit.  The recent departures and injuries have certainly slowed the growth in Year 2, but given what UMKC has had in recent times and his pedigree, UMKC might have the right man in charge.

Key Player:  Josiah Allick (6'8 Sophomore)

24 hours ago, this would be a different answer, but given the McKissic departure and the current injuries, I went with the Sophomore big from Nebraska.  He certainly has stepped up from his freshman year.  He is averaging 15 points a game, although most of that was padded against lower competition, but he did what you need to do against them... dominate.  He will do most of his work in the paint but will step outside from time to time.  He and Rebraca should have a fun battle down low.  

Series History:

Kansas City leads the all time series 4-1.  The last time these two teams played was in 2012.  Kansas City is 2-0 all time in the BESC.  

Milestone Watch:

-Rebraca has 66 career blocks all time at UND.   He is 2 away from getting in the top 10 all time in blocks.  He certainly can get there this weekend

-Rebraca has 844 career points, 156 points away from being the 39th player all time to get to 1000 career points.  He would also become the 24th player in UND history to have 1000 career points and 500 career rebounds (If my count is accurate).  If he maintains his current average, he should get that sometime during the Western Illinois games at home in late January.

UND Conference Facts

-While UND went 2-8 against the NCC schools last year (including post-season), they did go 7-2 against the other schools in the Summit League. (2-16 vs NCC schools and 13-4 against non-NCC since moving to the Summit)

-UND is 2-6 all time in conference openers since moving to the Big Sky in 2012.  

Other Games:

NDSU @ WIU 

NDSU starts their title defense with a trip to Malcomb to take on Western Illinois.  They get to experience the squad under the leadership of Rob Jeter.  This is certainly a new Western Illinois under Jeter's tutorship, however they are still trying to put the pieces together.  NDSU has gotten close to knocking off some P5 teams, but they also have shown struggles on the offensive side.  WIU is capable of taking a game from NDSU, but most likely NDSU starts their year 2-0. 

DU @ USD

Denver comes in banged up, potentially without the services of Green and Jones for the weekend.  USD is coming off their best win of the season against SDSU. This will be an exciting guard matchup between Townsend and Umude.  If DU is going to charge up the standings, and Billups to keep his job, they need to start the season off on the right foot.  Given the circumstances, I fully expect the Yotes to get the two wins.

ORU @ Omaha

I think this will be the matchup of the weekend as Oral Roberts travels up to Omaha to take on the Mavs.  If guards aren't your thing, then we have the big man matchup for you:  Obanor vs Pile.  These two bigs are certainly some of the best that the Summit has to offer.  Is there an X-Factor?  Yes:  Max Abmas.  He is developing into one of the better guards in the conference and can stroke it from distance. Could that tip the difference?  This one is the most likely to result in a split. 

Off: SDSU

The Bunnies get the lucky BYE week to start off the conference season.  Sounds like they got a game lined up against Mount Mary on Monday to keep everyone fresh for next week.

Keys:

1) Jump on this team early:  Given what is going on, UND needs to get off to a fast start and remove any hope early.  

2) Get high quality offensive possessions:  Kansas City is still going to play tough defense, so UND is going to have to play an efficient offensive game.  They need to get high quality shots, bury the open looks, make the extra pass, take care of the ball.   

Questions

1) Does the injured players for UMKC and DAE for UND return?

The Call:

Given the circumstances of what UMKC is dealing with right now, I will steal a line from one of our posters.  Anything less than a sweep is unacceptable. UND is playing at home against a shorthanded team and they must deal with them swiftly.  They must jump on them early and not give them any hope whatsoever.  Use your depth to your advantage. They will still play tough defense, but scoring could be an issue.  I look for a steady diet of Rebraca and the outside shots to get going here in game 1.  I think UND starts the conference season on the right foot.

UND 77-65

Game is on Midco and should be on the Plus as well.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND ran into a Bulldog Buzzsaw in the 2nd half as the Drake press gave UND fits and lead to their defeat in their final non-conference game (we think) of the season.  Now we turn our attention to the Summit and conference play!  Oh, and UND gets to FINALLY play at home!  First up, the "new" kids on the block.  The Roos of Kansas City

About Kansas City

Welcome Back, Welcome Back, Welcome Back!

The Summit League is no stranger to the Roos of Kansas City.  Beginning in 1994, it was their first D1 home, when it was called the Mid-Continent Conference.  Despite some moderate success in the early to mid-2000s, they never could break through and get to the NCAA tournament. They couldn't even get to the championship finals of the conference tournament (at least Chicago State could claim they have done that) Things didn't get any better as the first Dakota schools began to invade, then dominate the league.  In 2012, a decision was made to move to the WAC conference, where they felt that they could be more competitive.  

It didn't work out that way unfortunately.  While they were able to duplicate some of the moderate success, it wasn't quite what they were looking for when they moved.  Given that the WAC at that point was New Mexico State and misfit toys (Grand Canyon was still transitioning), it was a bit disheartening.  After 6 years in the league, it was decided that they were going to come back to their first home.  

Things have changed since they left in 2013.  Gone is Oakland, IUPUI, and Fort Wayne to the Horizon league.  Old buddy Oral Roberts came back to the league in 2015.  Denver joined the league the year they left in 2013.  Oh, and UND decided to come join in 2018.  While some things have changed and will be changing (St. Thomas coming in 2020, a more compact conference footprint, WIU is still here!), some haven't.  The league is still dominated by the Dakota Schools.

Their last year in the WAC also brought change in the form of a new coach, as former Wright State coach Billy Donlon replaced Kareem Richardson and lead the Roos to a improved finish, with a winning record in both conference and overall.  Unfortunately, COVID stopped them from any potential run in the WAC tournament or any postseason play, but it was a solid first year.  

So far this year it has been a mixed bag of success, they nearly took down KSU and Toldeo, but lost to Southeast Missouri State and all 4 of their wins are against lower competition.  However recent developments have really struck the team.  First off, they have injuries to 2 key players in Nesbitt Jr. and Roessink (status TBD).  Then lost two players who decided to transfer in Boykin and Bolden.  The biggest blow came last night as their best player, Brandon McKissic, entered the portal.  This was a significant blow to a team that could have made a surprise splash in the 1st year back.  Now you have to wonder what the rest of the year is going to bring for the Roos.

About Billy Donlon (129-113 overall (Wright State, Kansas City), 20-19 at Kansas City)

The former Wright State coach is in his 2nd year as the Roos coach.  He spent 6 years as Wright States head coach, where he traded top half finishes with bottom half finishes in the Horizon.  He has the unfortunate situation of replacing Brad Brownell, who in his 4 years finished no worse that 3rd in the league and went off to Clemson.  He was let go and replaced by Scott Nagy.   He spent some time in the Big 10 as an assistant (Michigan and NW) before getting his 2nd gig at UMKC.  His calling card is on the defensive end, no matter the talent, his teams will play defense.  His first season was decent in the WAC, now he turns his attention to the Summit.  The recent departures and injuries have certainly slowed the growth in Year 2, but given what UMKC has had in recent times and his pedigree, UMKC might have the right man in charge.

Key Player:  Josiah Allick (6'8 Sophomore)

24 hours ago, this would be a different answer, but given the McKissic departure and the current injuries, I went with the Sophomore big from Nebraska.  He certainly has stepped up from his freshman year.  He is averaging 15 points a game, although most of that was padded against lower competition, but he did what you need to do against them... dominate.  He will do most of his work in the paint but will step outside from time to time.  He and Rebraca should have a fun battle down low.  

Series History:

Kansas City leads the all time series 4-1.  The last time these two teams played was in 2012.  Kansas City is 2-0 all time in the BESC.  

Milestone Watch:

-Rebraca has 66 career blocks all time at UND.   He is 2 away from getting in the top 10 all time in blocks.  He certainly can get there this weekend

-Rebraca has 844 career points, 156 points away from being the 39th player all time to get to 1000 career points.  He would also become the 24th player in UND history to have 1000 career points and 500 career rebounds (If my count is accurate).  If he maintains his current average, he should get that sometime during the Western Illinois games at home in late January.

UND Conference Facts

-While UND went 2-8 against the NCC schools last year (including post-season), they did go 7-2 against the other schools in the Summit League. (2-16 vs NCC schools and 13-4 against non-NCC since moving to the Summit)

-UND is 2-6 all time in conference openers since moving to the Big Sky in 2012.  

Other Games:

NDSU @ WIU 

NDSU starts their title defense with a trip to Malcomb to take on Western Illinois.  They get to experience the squad under the leadership of Rob Jeter.  This is certainly a new Western Illinois under Jeter's tutorship, however they are still trying to put the pieces together.  NDSU has gotten close to knocking off some P5 teams, but they also have shown struggles on the offensive side.  WIU is capable of taking a game from NDSU, but most likely NDSU starts their year 2-0. 

DU @ USD

Denver comes in banged up, potentially without the services of Green and Jones for the weekend.  USD is coming off their best win of the season against SDSU. This will be an exciting guard matchup between Townsend and Umude.  If DU is going to charge up the standings, and Billups to keep his job, they need to start the season off on the right foot.  Given the circumstances, I fully expect the Yotes to get the two wins.

ORU @ Omaha

I think this will be the matchup of the weekend as Oral Roberts travels up to Omaha to take on the Mavs.  If guards aren't your thing, then we have the big man matchup for you:  Obanor vs Pile.  These two bigs are certainly some of the best that the Summit has to offer.  Is there an X-Factor?  Yes:  Max Abmas.  He is developing into one of the better guards in the conference and can stroke it from distance. Could that tip the difference?  This one is the most likely to result in a split. 

Off: SDSU

The Bunnies get the lucky BYE week to start off the conference season.  Sounds like they got a game lined up against Mount Mary on Monday to keep everyone fresh for next week.

Keys:

1) Jump on this team early:  Given what is going on, UND needs to get off to a fast start and remove any hope early.  

2) Get high quality offensive possessions:  Kansas City is still going to play tough defense, so UND is going to have to play an efficient offensive game.  They need to get high quality shots, bury the open looks, make the extra pass, take care of the ball.   

Questions

1) Does the injured players for UMKC and DAE for UND return?

The Call:

Given the circumstances of what UMKC is dealing with right now, I will steal a line from one of our posters.  Anything less than a sweep is unacceptable. UND is playing at home against a shorthanded team and they must deal with them swiftly.  They must jump on them early and not give them any hope whatsoever.  Use your depth to your advantage. They will still play tough defense, but scoring could be an issue.  I look for a steady diet of Rebraca and the outside shots to get going here in game 1.  I think UND starts the conference season on the right foot.

UND 77-65

Game is on Midco and should be on the Plus as well.

I hope that you're right about it being on the plus, but I'm not seeing it listed on the website.

11 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

I hope that you're right about it being on the plus, but I'm not seeing it listed on the website.

Not only that, but I don't see any Summit League game at all on ESPN+

Of course, I didn't specify my plus as I see it on MidcoSports+ so I'm not wrong. :p

18 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So perhaps I should have written this one day later.  

Judging by his twitter account, UMKC might have their best player back on the team.

never good to lose your best player during the year...glad the guy changed his mind...transfer out in the summer if you like but stick it out this year.

6 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

never good to lose your best player during the year...glad the guy changed his mind...transfer out in the summer if you like but stick it out this year.

I'm glad that he is back as well.  

Does this change my expectations of 2 wins? No.  However, they will be tougher to get now. 

• Like 1