SiouxSports.com Forum

Anyone familiar with the DECC?

Diggler

There's no pillars to sit behind, if that's what you are worried about.

I'd suggest avoiding the first row above the concourse (row 1) since that's where the UMD students take laps after they score goals.

Of course, "laps" aren't a problem if you are going to the DECC to see the Sioux play. :D

Only other recommendation is to get tix early this year, since interest in UMD hockey is a lot higher this year ... Single game tickets go on sale October 4 via the DECC or ticketmaster.

Yeah, I'm getting them early for sure. I'm trying to get all the tickets together, so I'm sending in the order form tommorow which is what the UMD ticket lady said I had to do since I wanted more than 4 tickets. Hopefully we'll be able to get some good seats cause I'm trying to get us in the top row, that way blue hairs can't yell at us for being in their way.

There's no pillars to sit behind, if that's what you are worried about.

I'd suggest avoiding the first row above the concourse (row 1) since that's where the UMD students take laps after they score goals.

Of course, "laps" aren't a problem if you are going to the DECC to see the Sioux play. :D

Only other recommendation is to get tix early this year, since interest in UMD hockey is a lot higher this year ... Single game tickets go on sale October 4 via the DECC or ticketmaster.

If you sit in that first row, I'd say that makes a fight pretty possible if the Dogs manage to score against the Sioux. The DECC is a very very old building with good atmosphere, kind of like the old Ralph I guess. Maybe the dogs will beat the sioux once this year, we will have to see.

If you're scared of heights, don't make the trek up to the upper reaches of the top deck. It's steeper than hell.

You might even want to stay away from it if you DON'T think you're afraid of heights.

Then again, you see some pretty cool s&!t up there. I saw that f***ing Maroon Loon take a headfirst dive down the stairs when I was sitting in the topmost row one year. Served him right.

The sightlines are really bad on the lower level corners... the best seats are in a little balcony, but for the life of me, I can't remember what sections they are.

Have fun up there... hope the Sioux kick some Duluth ass. (I can't stand 'em).

Elizabeth

If you sit in that first row, I'd say that makes a fight pretty possible if the Dogs manage to score against the Sioux. The DECC is a very very old building with good atmosphere, kind of like the old Ralph I guess. Maybe the dogs will beat the sioux once this year, we will have to see.

As much as I'd like to, I couldn't fight beersong and co. Though I'm sure we could get a fake fight going that would get the DECC in an uproar. :D

I had the "pleasure" of sitting in the aisle row / Row 1 for the Saturday game (we were row 2 Friday).

We had a nice exchange with the DECC Security about 45 minutes before game time ...:

DECC Security: "You know, the students do a lap after UMD scores a goal. If they give you any trouble, we'll take care of 'em. Of course, we expect you Sioux fans to give 'em room."

Poobah: "Great. Well, Brandt is in goal tonight, so its no laps for them."

DECC Security: [puzzled look]

Poobah: "Thanks for stopping by. You can tell the students their conditioning program gets another night off."

DECC Security: [really puzzled look, then smiles]

one word:

PIT

any seat you'll be able to get will still have you in that PIT of an arena. Last year they double sold my seats to someone else and security didn't do jack, I ended up standing up by the rafters (no mean feat whilst blitzed). "Security" is a joke too, if you are not a UMD fan all you do is cause trouble. IMO most of that place has obstructed view with the stupid heavy netting and cables running all over the ends. I for one will NOT miss going to games there after UMD has a new arena. Again, PIT. Only good thing is it is close enuf to run to G'mas for a quick pitcher between periods.

WPoS

one word:

PIT

any seat you'll be able to get will still have you in that PIT of an arena. Last year they double sold my seats to someone else and security didn't do jack, I ended up standing up by the rafters (no mean feat whilst blitzed). "Security" is a joke too, if you are not a UMD fan all you do is cause trouble. IMO most of that place has obstructed view with the stupid heavy netting and cables running all over the ends. I for one will NOT miss going to games there after UMD has a new arena. Again, PIT. Only good thing is it is close enuf to run to G'mas for a quick pitcher between periods.

WPoS

They don't hate Sioux fans near as much as Gopher fans, so don't expect the kind of hatred that WPos experienced. :D

The last time I was there (for a Sioux game) I wasn't old enough to drink, so it was a while ago. The arena is a step up from St. Cloud, but that's not saying much. I would probably look for seats up high, middle of the ice (obviously). The balcony isn't that high, so they should still be good seats.

I was in there in February.

hmmm, maybe he only bought them then for the Gopher series...I know he was pretty pissed we had made it our own section and made as much noise as the whole student section last few years as we bought out those sections and stood and made noise the whole time. I even got tossed out for having plaster fall on my head...only time I have EVER been tossed out of anyhting, again security up there is pretty flimsy if you ask me...it all matters not this year for us anyway.... :D:):angry:

WPoS

those are no longer available I don't think, last year a UMD alum bought them all because he was sick of the UM crew going up there and taking all the spots in S and R and making too much noise...

WPoS

Hey WPoS . . . .

From what I saw and heard, the Gophy fans did not have a whole lot of things over which to make noise at the DECC, or in The Maroosh for that matter, last year when they were trying to skate with the Dogs.

Pretty quiet in Van Andel as well.

That was then, this is now.

Anyway, we sat behind the net on the Saturday game between the Sioux and the Dogs. The last ten minutes of that game, at ice level, was about the most intense hockey that I had seen in years. The seats behind the nets at ice level ain't bad. Besides, you get to hang around the locker room areas down there. Giving the coaches pointers.

Hey WPoS . . . .

From what I saw and heard, the Gophy fans did not have a whole lot of things over which to make noise at the DECC, or in The Maroosh for that matter, last year when they were trying to skate with the Dogs.

Pretty quiet in Van Andel as well.

That was then, this is now.

Anyway, we sat behind the net on the Saturday game between the Sioux and the Dogs. The last ten minutes of that game, at ice level, was about the most intense hockey that I had seen in years. The seats behind the nets at ice level ain't bad. Besides, you get to hang around the locker room areas down there. Giving the coaches pointers.

hey now...it only mattered when it did...at the Final Five! :):D that arena is still a PIT!

WPoS

Avoid the ice level areas behind the nets.

I would also avoid those lower level section seats that always remain open after everything else is sold. There's a reason those lower level seats in prime positions go unsold until the last minute.

As mentioned, avoid first row balcony.

DECC is a fine old barn IMO.

The DECC is a great old building :D Better than some arenas (SCSU, that sh**hole in Mankato)

-Ice level is not the best....in fact, it sucks. Ive had ice level seats and its too hard to see the other end

-The lower balcony has more leg room than the upper (the lower being the 4 rows with the plush red chairs)

-The first row of the upper balcony you will have people walking in front of you

-The rest of the seats are fine (love my centre ice season tickets 3 rows up) :)

• 3 weeks later...
A group of us are going to go to the UMD series.  Where are the good seats? Or what sections should we avoid?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the North Dakota Fans are seated in Sections 1 through 6 in the upper rows. The seats aren't too bad.

WPoS...I bet the Dogs would give you that Final Five championship in exchange for the thumping you got a week later...    :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dittos MafiaMan! Gopher fans have been laboring to convince us that the only games that REALLY matter are played after the conference season is over. Now it's "look what we did in the FF!" (at "home") :angry:

one word:

PIT

any seat you'll be able to get will still have you in that PIT of an arena.  Last year they double sold my seats to someone else and security didn't do jack, I ended up standing up by the rafters (no mean feat whilst blitzed).  "Security" is a joke too, if you are not a UMD fan all you do is cause trouble.  IMO most of that place has obstructed view with the stupid heavy netting and cables running all over the ends.  I for one will NOT miss going to games there after UMD has a new arena.  Again, PIT.  Only good thing is it is close enuf to run to G'mas for a quick pitcher between periods.

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sioux Fans are respected throughout the Country and you will not have any problems with security!!!