SiouxSports.com Forum

Changes at the REA

LFSPRO

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a public institution not professional team.  The REA is not looking to screw alumni, rather it is doing what is necessary for the school to fund it's programs.  You are making a FSC donation and yet you are looking for some sort of entitlement.  That is greed on your behalf. 

I resectfully disagree. I do not believe REA is doing what is necessary, I believe they're doing what they can get away with. Included would certainly be getting top dollar for a limited supply item.

Right now, FSC memberships are raised, and old season ticket holders are forced to dole out $110 to keep their seats. All of this is done in the name of needed funds, even though ticket sales, donations and other revenues have gone gangbusters. There's even a bunch of people paying some cash to sit on a waiting list, so that one day they'll have the privelege to pay more. Must I mention the beer sales that weren't available at our old barn? Where is all this money going? Is it all going toward scholarships? Have tuition costs quadrupled in 4 years? I know we don't have a mortgage to pay for...

If someone can show me that REA is putting all this revenue into UND athletics, I'll eat crow. As a public institution, they must have a statement available somewhere, right? But until then, I'm sorry... I just don't buy it.

Tuition quadrupled? No.

But how about back-to-back 16.5% increases?

If scholarships cost $1 MM two years ago they cost $1.357 MM today. That's an extra $357k they have to generate every year from now on, and that assumes no further tuition increases.

Mortgage? No.

But they do have the bonds to build The Betty to pay off.

Maybe that is a mortgage, sort of.

The UND Athletics budget broke even in 2003-2004 (I found it in IAC notes.) Things didn't get cheaper, right?

As far as REA, as part of the ownership restructuring last December (from the GF Herald):

In addition, the arena

Right now, FSC memberships are raised, and old season ticket holders are forced to dole out $110 to keep their seats.  All of this is done in the name of needed funds, even though ticket sales, donations and other revenues have gone gangbusters.  There's even a bunch of people paying some cash to sit on a waiting list, so that one day they'll have the privelege to pay more.  Must I mention the beer sales that weren't available at our old barn?  Where is all this money going?  Is it all going toward scholarships?  Have tuition costs quadrupled in 4 years?  I know we don't have a mortgage to pay for... 

If someone can show me that REA is putting all this revenue into UND athletics, I'll eat crow.  As a public institution, they must have a statement available somewhere, right?  But until then, I'm sorry... I just don't buy it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm tellin' you, check this out.

http://www.ralphengelstadarena.com/new2/pd...pact_Report.pdf

But does it cost money, serious money, to run a college athletic department? Yes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not disagree at all with that statement, err... question/ answer.

Is REA run as well and smoothly as it could be? No. That's a whole other thread.

Maybe this is more in line with my point. If we are barely breaking even now, with all of this added revenue, how could we even keep the lights on and the ice frozen in 2000? The cost increases don't seem to match the revenue increases, IMO. It just doesn't seem to add up.

Edit- Air Force One... I did take a look at that link. I'd like to see what the operating expenses are at REA, in relation to some of the figures provided.

Edited by airmail

If you really want to know where all the $$$ from the REA is going you can find out. UND is a public institution and the information has to be made available (thank you Freedom of Information Act).

Too answer the question that was raised earlier. I personally live too far away to be affected by this. I am not a season ticket holder and to not contribute to the FSC, rather I have donated directly to the school for academic purposes.

I have absolutely no doubt that the REA and UND are doing what it can to best maintain and improve the quality of its athletic department and ensure opportunities for present and future student athletes.

I have absolutely no doubt that the REA and UND are doing what it can to best maintain and improve the quality of its athletic department and ensure opportunities for present and future student athletes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure they are too. However, amazingly there are ways to do this without ticking off your entire fanbase. :0

If you really want to know where all the $$$ from the REA is going you can find out.  UND is a public institution and the information has to be made available (thank you Freedom of Information Act).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No they don't REA is a private Corporation. They do give like 1 million back to the university.

Game Management sure did increase from 50,000 a year to nearly One Million a year.  That's a pretty big increase.  Maybe they could become a little more effecient.  Double the size of the arena, double the game management funds?  no, triple?  1850%.

I'm pretty sure that in the language of college athletics "game management" is what the rest of us would call "paying guarantees" to visiting teams to come and play. (Note: Those numbers were for UND's Athletic Department. The note was at the top of that page of the PDF.)

I'm pretty sure that in the language of college athletics "game management" is what the rest of us would call "paying guarantees" to visiting teams to come and play. (Note: Those numbers were for UND's Athletic Department. The note was at the top of that page of the PDF.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guarantees went up almost 20x in two years? :) We must be paying Canisius a bundle! :0

The note stated those numbers were supplied by the UND Athletic department, not for it. The figure is clearly noted as REA's game management costs.