SiouxSports.com Forum

Swing Forwards

jk

I think there are a few key players who could have a big impact on how the Sioux do this year, based on their potential and past inconsistency.

I look at it this way: I know what players like Spiewak and Notermann bring to the team, and I fully expect to receive it. Ryan Hale really seemed to be on the edge of being an impact player in the second half last year, and I expect him to have his best year. I saw enough of Bochenski and McMahon to expect very solid play from them this year. I know what we'll get from Canady (a few goals bouncing in off his butt and shinpads) and Connelly. I have decent expectations for Fylling and am excited to see Parise.

But, for the forwards, the key players (not the "best" or most important, but the ones who could show up and make a big difference) are Lundbohm, Massen and Genoway.

Lundbohm has shown hints of being one of the top forwards in the league, and can really handle the puck in tight places. But, at times, he seemed to disappear. Only some of those times were injury-related (as far as I knew).

Massen had some highlights - first collegiate goal against some stiff named Miller, beautiful breakaway goal in Mariucci, lighting up MTU - but seemed to be not strong enough on his skates at times and just plain uninvolved at others. If he could consistently use his size to get into position to use his above-average hands, he could be a force in the league. He reminded me last year of Grant Paranica, another big, plus-hands player who seemed to get knocked around a bit. Of course, he was only a freshman, so improvement wouldn't be a shock.

Genoway is an enigma to me because his resume and Blais's willingness to bring him in and let him sit through the eligibility clock suggest that he may eventually have an impact. But since I haven't seen him, I don't know whether to expect a fourth-liner or someone who works his way onto the special teams. I do know that having bookend impact (by late in the year) freshmen forwards would be a big boost to the team.

So that's my opinion: Lundbohm, Massen and Genoway need to assert themselves for the team to do well this year.

I know what we'll get from Canady (a few goals bouncing in off his butt and shinpads).  

:D Sheeze... what is your problem? Get off the kids back. His goals did not come off his butt and shinpads. Sure sometimes he may get a lucky bounce while he's putting up a great effort in front of the net. It's called grind and gritt! It's called getting the s&%t kicked out of you and working hard for points. He's not a finess player but a Sioux point is a Sioux point. You made him sound like a "lesser player" than the other guys. I resent your comment. And now I'm late for work................

Sockeye Sioux, I meant it to be taken with a laugh, and I apologize if it came off as disrespectful. Heck, if anything I meant it to be complimentary.

I fully recognize that teams need players to do the tough work in front of the net, and I also know that many goals are "ugly," and they count just as much as the pretty ones on the scoreboard.

p.s. I know he scored five goals in a playoff game with Waterloo so I know he can score goals.

Sockeye:

I'm pretty sure 'jk' was just ribbin' Brian a bit. With this crowd, if it happens to you once, you're stuck with it forever. Now if had been one of them Gopher varmits saying it .... :0;)

For example, Jason Notermann could bury every shot this season with five-holed, net-stretchin' solid twine slappers and yet we'd hear a yap about him and "p-ting" off the pipe all the time. (I'd probably be one of the guilty ones.)

Hey, they all look like slappers over the glove from the dot on the score board and in the box score! :D

We poke at 'em but love the hard-workin' muckers. Where else would a guy like Jim Archibald be remembered for 540 PIM and not a 154/75/69/144 career scoring line? (That includes a 37 goal senior season!)

Now that y'all mention it, I think Canady should be included in that list of players who could make a big difference if they step up this year. Blais has said he thinks Canady is capable of scoring 30 goals in the WCHA and will probably be team captain because of his leadership ability. That's a pretty big endorsement for a freshman who notched 8 pts last season.

Looking at his prep and USHL resume, it looks like he has been a decorated and important player at every level. I'm hoping for bigger and better things out of this kid going forward, much the same as the others mentioned in the previous posts.

:D I'm sorry guys...  I over~reacted.  I guess I'm not as thick skinned as I'd like to be.  jk, please accept my apology.   Call it a PMS moment ;) .   (Twenty-five second graders had to put up with me today too).  I PROMISE I will behave on here...   :0

If you can put up with 25 second graders, you should be able to put up with anything that is dished out around here by these 1st. graders.

Sock_eye,

I think your son will be a great addition to the UND Fighting Sioux Hockey team. I like the flash and heart that he shows, much like the McMahan (sp) kid does. Tough as nails and will get in front of the net and get his licks in and give a quit a few more. I think UND will score a lot of goals and I don't care how they do it. Wether it be off the head, knee or foot.

I also like the lunch box kind of players, ie the Noterman, Spiewak, Hale (2)... Strap it on and play good tough hockey. In looking at the roster, UND is going to be bigger than they have been for sometime. If James Massen can play a little tougher UND is going to be tough between the offensive face off circles.

If you can put up with 25 second graders, you should be able to put up with anything that is dished out around here by these 1st. graders.

I have a first-grader, and I was thinking the same thing. 25 second-graders... now we know where Brian gets his toughness. Thanks for the note, Sockeye; no worries at all. Practice has started, let's look for a great season.