SiouxSports.com Forum

Goalies

I hear that a new goalie is coming in so i am wondering what who will be the dominant goalie for the next coming season and if that theres going to be room for 4 goalies

This has been discussed a few times already. In fact this has almost hit the level of beating a dead horse into the ground. It would probably be a good discussion after the first cuts of the season have been made or not been made.

it is my understanding that phillippe lamoureux is the only goalie coming in this fall. with brandt, parise ziegelman, and now lamoureux they will have a packed house in the goalie department. with lamoureux's success in high school and being named ushl's goalie of the year, i would imagine ziegelman would be the odd man out unless hakstol wants to keep 4 goalies. not to take anything away from ziegelman...i am aware of his pre-college success, but he is not on scholarship and hasn't seen much ncaa action. brandt and parise will likely share the goalie job again this year. i would like to see those two have much more consistent outings. maybe lamoureux can push them to that level or even crack the lineup if those two don't play as well as expected. it will also be interesting to see how hakstol responds to situations like that. i think many fans were frustrated with blais's reluctance to pull struggling goal tenders in the past. we all remember how andy kollar struggled for so long before blais would actually pull him and let brandt see some action and then finally turned that season over to josh siembida in 01-02. i wonder if siembida would still fit into the mix if he would have stayed in school. he would be a senior this year. we need to get legendary goaltenders back. the 1-2 puch of kollar and goehring was incredible. we never had to worry if they would show up.

As the chart below shows, the one-two punch of Kollar and Goehring was at its best during the 1999-2000 season. Compare that season to the one-two punch of Jordan Parise and Jake Brandt in 2003-2004.

best_und.jpg

This is a little off the topic but.... The Columbus Dispatch Sports Section today had a very interesting article on Pascal Leclair, the Blue Jackets 1st round draft pick and Karl Goehrings competition. Unfortunately the slant was that Columbus had a huge investment in LeClair and was bringing him along slowly. The article talked about how Goehring had put LeClair on the bench and if LeCLair could reverse that this year he would be the goalie of the future.

This is a little off the topic but.... The Columbus Dispatch Sports Section today had a very interesting article on Pascal Leclair, the Blue Jackets 1st round draft pick and Karl Goehrings competition. Unfortunately the slant was that Columbus had a huge investment in LeClair and was bringing him along slowly. The article talked about how Goehring had put LeClair on the bench and if LeCLair could reverse that this year he would be the goalie of the future.

This is no slant. It's the truth. Karl was never drafted. Pascal Leclaire was. A first rounder as well. No one really blinks if a late rounder turns out to be a bust because those rounds are basically your "under development" type players. First rounders, though not a shoe in to be the next Gretzky (or in this case Patrick Roy => who was incidentally drafted in the 3rd round) are held to a certain standard. These players have all the raw talent to, theoretically, be able to jump right in, or at the very worst, take the fast track to the NHL. If Pascal cannot unseat Karl this season, the investment (meaning the first round pick and the contract $$$) will be deemed a poor decision by the GM staff (even if the GM who drafted him isn't with the team any longer).

First rounders are investments. I hope Karl is the better one, though. Financially speaking, he has been all along. It's nice to know that performance-wise it is no different.

This is no slant. It's the truth. Karl was never drafted. Pascal Leclaire was. A first rounder as well. No one really blinks if a late rounder turns out to be a bust because those rounds are basically your "under development" type players. First rounders, though not a shoe in to be the next Gretzky (or in this case Patrick Roy => who was incidentally drafted in the 3rd round) are held to a certain standard. These players have all the raw talent to, theoretically, be able to jump right in, or at the very worst, take the fast track to the NHL. If Pascal cannot unseat Karl this season, the investment (meaning the first round pick and the contract $$$) will be deemed a poor decision by the GM staff (even if the GM who drafted him isn't with the team any longer).

First rounders are investments. I hope Karl is the better one, though. Financially speaking, he has been all along. It's nice to know that performance-wise it is no different.

I have followed Karl's career since I first saw him in the MN State finals and I started following LeClaire when I saw him drafted in the first round. I think it is safe to say that Karl will be back next year...Pascal's future is less certain. Pascal has a tendency to be really hot for one game and then really cold for the following two games and he also has major concentration problems. Pascal didn't even dress for Syracuse's Game 7 playoff game this year, Karl was and will continue to be the more consistent "go-to" guy in Syracuse. We all know what happens when you underestimate Karl... :)

Who says I'm underestimating Karl?

I'm saying that, like it or not, NHL is a business. Any businessman can tell you that the goal for any purchase (or in this case draft) is to make a return on the investment. Karl is a great catch for Columbus (even if they don't throw him a bone very often), but the bigger investment was in Leclaire.

I think Karl starts with a strike against him because Pascal was a high pick. He will have to elevate his game higher than he would if these two players were taken at about the same spot.

Bottom line though is production, and if Goehring produces it will not matter how high Leclaire was drafted.

Off topic, good luck to Bochenski. Man those Minnesota schools crank out some talent :)

If I was the coach of this team (which I am not, and have no ability whatsoever), I would keep all 4 goalies....simply because this is the point of all discussion...and has been for several years. All pro teams have a practice squad and a rotating roster. I believe, on a team like the Sioux, they need that extra man to push the others over the top. I also believe that this should be discussed at the top of the off-season, to make these guys know that wearing the green doesn't come naturally....it comes by way of hard work/focus/discipline! I paid for my college, and will be for several years.....I don't claim to be a natural hockey player....or anything athletic for that matter.....but these kids have something to offer. Getting the ride is a part of their future. Use it or lose it.........and that is what has to be enforced!!!! Otherwise, we come, we play, we party, we lose! It's a mentality thing!

I think any of the goalies on board have potential to take the team to the top, but they have to be handled as a potential with a load to tow! If not, they get to play the revolving game of switch-style goaltending, and they never learn what it takes to play D-1 hockey! Good luck to all of them, but hopefully after 2-3 NCAA championships they will know what it takes to succeed in the NHL!

Jordan really surprised me last year, i thought he was only there cause of his brother and that did help alot im sure but he did prove himself worthy.

Jordan came to UND because Zach told him that he had a good chance of making the team, which proved correct.