SiouxSports.com Forum

is racism at UND fundamental?

JBB

Dork Star? Is he still around? I thought he was dead ... no, wait that was his career.

Anyway, it is nice that Dork is so concerned about NA names for sports teams. I wonder if he shares that same level of concern for other problems like alcoholism, addiction, poverty, gangs, health problems, etc. on the reservations and the inner city. Then again, those issues don't resonate with the "activists" like Bellecourt and Means either. :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dark Star's show was one of the lowest moments in radio. I usually don't listen to him- he was moved from early evening to late morning to late night for a reason, but I wanted to hear some scores. My mistake. He did indeed interrupt the interview and generally baited the callers. Dark was on Bellacourt's side, but on other nights he takes a different tack, depending on how the wind blows. When a lady caller said that she would rather have "Warriors" instead of "Royals" as a nickname, they ripped her despite the fact that she was an Indian. Basically, you can have an opinion as long as it agrees with them.

Greetings from the Southwest. I am Dr. David Yeagley, (sometimes called Bad Eagle, after my Comanche ancestor, 1839-1906). When I was informed of this discussion, and the fact that some of my work was referenced, I felt embolden to join! With due respect to all involved, I simply want to thank whomever decided to create this forum. This may be as close to free speech as we'll all ever get.

I want to point out that Russell Means is not really to be associated with the old AIMsters anymore. He is, at this point, trying to put himself in a position to do some real good for Indian people. He has implied his regrets for the past. I can't say dramatic regret, but, he has shown a developing, open mind in certain areas.

He may still opposed the Fighting Sioux, but, I think we shall all rest assured, that great and mighty name is not going away! May its greatness live forever, and contintue to inspire all other Indians.

Don't be fooled by the myopia of university environments. Indians all over the country love our warrior image. Our fathers earned it with their blood. Shall we not remember them for this?

Also, I have deveoped a new website: BadEagle.com Feel free to visit there for more "conservative" Indian articles and forums. Hope to see you all one day in person. Long live the SIOUX!!

Thank you for dropping by, Dr. Yeagley. I'm a fan of your columns and I am honored that you have taken the time to visit this forum and post here. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts on the Sioux name issue.

Greetings from the Southwest.  I am Dr. David Yeagley, (sometimes called Bad Eagle, after my Comanche ancestor, 1839-1906).   When I was informed of this discussion, and the fact that some of my work was referenced, I felt embolden to join!  With due respect to all involved, I simply want to thank whomever decided to create this forum.  This may be as close to free speech as we'll all ever get.  

Don't be fooled by the myopia of university environments.  Indians all over the country love our warrior image.  Our fathers earned it with their blood.  Shall we not remember them for this?

Thanks for visiting Dr. Yeagley. I agree wholeheartedly with the merits of a forum in which everyone can intelligently debate so complex an issue. While the openness of this forum sometimes leads to irrelevant taunts from UND-detractors, it's pretty easy to sift through the chaff to find the wheat.

It is a shame that the activists (who at UND represent about 100 of 12,000 students) get all the press. Because the activists choose Indians (often non-Sioux) to make their case, it's often presented as being "the opinion of Native Americans". It helps bring balance to the debate for Native Americans on the opposite side to speak out in articles such as yours, because such debates are usually dominated by the activists and proponents for change (despite them often being in the minority).

I appreciate the welcome very much. I do want to account for my interest in UND, and the Dakotas. I especially want to explain myself to the Lakota students and other "Sioux." The fact that I, a Comanche from Oklahoma, would stick my nose into their business, deserves and requires some explanation.

It is a matter of socio-psychology. There is one major image of the American Indian throughout all America, and Europe, and even the rest of the world. That image is the northern plains Indian, and the beadwork, the grand regalia, the headdress, the profile, etc. This image is completely dominated by the Sioux tribes. They are the Ralph Lauren of Indian fashion. There is no question about this, to anyone who is honestly looking at the facts.

John Wayne's movies kept the Comanche alive, because he always had to have the meanest enemy to come off the most macho hero. But even so, the Sioux image is stronger. Besides, Wayne is gone now.

Many Indians don't even think about this, or don't feel inclined to admit such a thing. I know that much objection to the Fighting Sioux that comes from Ojibwe (Chippewa) Indians there. I can't say that this really has anything to do with their reason for protesting, but, it's just something I observe.

The reason this is important is simple: What happens to the Sioux tends to happen to the rest of us. The Sioux control the national image of the Indian, and that isn't because they designed to do so. History just worked out that way. Cody's Wild West Show, photography, the historical circumstance, etc. It is fate.

I try to be rational, and to recognize what's going on. This this is deeply psychological in the country. American people have an image of the Indian, an image that they love dearly. It lights a fire in their hearts. That image is Sioux. The Sioux must watch carefully what they are doing, for better or for worse. It has effects on the rest of us Indians.

Does this make sense? This is why I risk my name and honor getting involved. I sure hope it makes sense!

Bad Eagle,

I read as many of your articles posted on Front page magazine that I can and they are very inspiring to me. I hope we can see more articles written by you. One thing I have noticed is those in the pro-name change crowd have no rebuttal for your work. Its ussualy followed by a yeah but. I think it speaks volumns of your writings.

Goon one of your biggest fans.

Wow, thanks for joining the discussion Dr. Yeagley. I'll have to do my best to make my posts seem intelligent now that you're around!

I don't know whether you've ever been contacted by any of the student groups at UND, but I'm sure if you ever gave a speech at UND it would be very well attended. Maybe it would even get C-SPAN coverage!

Thanks for the link to your new website.

From what I've been told, indirectly, those in charge of Indian matters there have expressed distinct disapproval of my coming to speak at UND. I really wanted to come last year and speak at a major conference, but, those in charge did not want any opposing ideas, at least from an Oklahoma Comanche (who is a nationally known journalist) on any of the panels or speaker slots.

Well, that's okay. They're in charge. Like I said before, the internet is our last refuge of free speech. Who knows, if word gets around that I joined this forum, there may be some academic (i.e., Communistic) restriction that disallows a faculty from one school to write on the boad of another, especially a student board. Well, I write for OU's student newspaper, The Fountain Head, regularly. That's open to the public...

Actually, I am on the speakers list of Young America's Foundation. This is a foundation set up by Reagan, back in the '80's, to bring conservative speakers to colleges and universities. It is a sorely needed activity, to have conservative speakers on campuses. Patrick Coyle (pcoyle@yaf.org) is the contact man. The Foundation pays half the fee, and all the expenses. This is how I get most of my speaking engagements. I just toured Texas, speaking in favor of weapons possession. You look me up on the Foundation website, under Speakers. There's bio there.

So, these are possibilities. In the meantime, I encourage everyone to look at things from a national point of view. America is the issue, not one school's mascot. Let's try to make sure that grand and mighty Sioux name is understood from a national perspective. We Indians have to understand that the reservation is not a social vacuum, or, it can't be such forever. We Indians need to understand ourselves in the fabric of America. I believe we can do it, with the right thoughts, the right views.

It doesn't surprise me that those in charge of the Indian matters at UND do not want you around intelligently articulating a different perspective. In their view, any American Indian who does not think the Sioux nickname is offensive somehow doesn't understand his own history and heritage. I find this attitude very suspect given the fact that white liberal professors always seem to be behind the protests. I find the whole thing very elitist.

When I asked whether any student group has contacted you, I was actually wondering about the conservative student groups on campus. If I were a member of theCollege Republicans, or a similar group, I would try to bring Dr. Yeagley to UND through YAF (if he's willing). I graduated a couple years ago, so I can't do it.