Top 3 From West

1. Minot

2. Bismarck Century

3. Bismarck High

Top 3 From East

1. Fargo North

2. Fargo South

3. GF Central

I agree with everything except Fargo North.

Replace them with Red River and then shuffle accordingly and you got it.

Central will be luucky to even make the state tourney with all of their grads and early departures.

Central will just have new top players coming in. Remind me again how many HS championships have come from Grand Forks?

:D What makes so many of you think that Red River will even make it to State? They better have a hell of a good young class coming in, because they have nothing returning. I am a RR grad and hope they do well but they lost their goalie and their best players and they weren't even deep last year. Let me know if I am missing something.

look i know everyone has no respect for the west, but since 2001, bismarck hi has beaten or tied every team from the west except i believe for fargo north.

in 2001 they spanked central 6-0, 2002 they beat grafton, tied red river, beat fargo south. The problem is bismarck hi and minot are the only 2 teams aloud to play teams from the east, because the east wont play anyone else, and until they are aloud to play eastern teams on a more consistent basis the west will always be weak. Another reason for the east's dominance over bismarck hi and minot in state is that state is in Grand Forks every year, i'm not sayin that alone is the reason, but when you get to play the biggest games of the season on your home ice, there is some advantage there.

Another reason for the east's dominance over bismarck hi and minot in state is that state is in Grand Forks every year, i'm not sayin that alone is the reason, but when you get to play the biggest games of the season on your home ice, there is some advantage there.

QUOTE (matt_9 @ Jul 10 2004, 02:17 PM)

Top 3 From West

1. Minot

2. Bismarck Century

3. Bismarck High

Top 3 From East

1. Fargo North

2. Fargo South

3. GF Central

I didn't realize GFC, GFRR, FN, FS, GPR, and WF played their home games at the REA. :D

North has nobody that can score, most of their team is likely to be suspended for drugs at any given time, and they have terrible coaching. This is from someone who played for North (a few years ago).

i was talkin specifically about rr and gfc, since those are the two main powerhouses out of the east usually, should of been more specific though. But what about the east's schedule. For example lets just say for the next 2 years, RR and Central were only aloud to play 4 or 5 games against eastern teams and the rest of the time they had to play teams like hazen, williston, dickinson, century etc.. and then all of a sudden state comes and they would be thrown into a first round game against a fargo team. The quality opponents played during the year would be much smaller and there for when state came the team wouldn't be nearly as prepared. That is what i was gettin at.

Look out for Shanley this season.

-SHS Alumnus

Are you serious? They must have some big time players coming in from out of town that nobody knows about because the senior class last year was the only reason they came even close to making state. They have very little coming back.

Jloos I agree with the drugs at North and the only player I have respect for on North is Nick Klenow.

The last thing is that I think the leading point getter in the state this year could have 70-75 points. They have to be from the west and they have to be from Minot or Bismark because they should be getting five points agame against all the other teams in the west.

i was talkin specifically about rr and gfc, since those are the two main powerhouses out of the east usually, should of been more specific though. But what about the east's schedule. For example lets just say for the next 2 years, RR and Central were only aloud to play 4 or 5 games against eastern teams and the rest of the time they had to play teams like hazen, williston, dickinson, century etc.. and then all of a sudden state comes and they would be thrown into a first round game against a fargo team. The quality opponents played during the year would be much smaller and there for when state came the team wouldn't be nearly as prepared. That is what i was gettin at.

To get my bias out of the way, I'm from the east and I've been watching high school hockey for 30 plus years.

I think I understand your rationale to be "The West is weak because all it can play is the west" which sort of defeats the argument before you can even make it.

Put it another way, "If the west had good teams and that's all they played were good teams from the west they'd be better" right? Alas, then the issue is whether teams in the west will ever have good hockey teams and in thirty years the answer has been "occasionally" but there is not one west team hockey program that makes it up to par with the two Grand Forks, three Fargo and one Grafton-Park River programs.

Finally, they could hold the ND state tournament in Montana each year, and I assure you it would not affect the outcome or tilt the balance to those western schools.

Just my opinion.

I cannot speak for the west, although Minot has a strong group of incoming juniors. From the east, South and Red River will be good. Red River returns most of its good players, and the Sophomore and Junior classes are better than Central. Central should not be as good, especially if Mario is leaving, but they still have Marto, probably the best player in the state. I would rank them 3rd from the east. North may not be too bad. They have trouble scoring, but will have one of the top goalies in the state in Elliot Oklund and have some experienced and talented defenseman if they can learn to stay out of the box in Bjoralt and Halstenson. The senior group from North did win PeeWee state and was very good at Bantams. They did lose Loos to Moorhead, but I think that they will be in the hunt with Grafton for 4th. Klenow and Fischer are juniors who should contribute.