SiouxSports.com Forum

News Conference 2 p.m. Friday

PCM

... if they fail along the way, Hak will take the heat.

I agree with you that Hak would take the heat for failure, but it wouldn't necessarily be fair. For instance, would it qualify as failing along the way for the loaded team to not reach the Frozen Four, losing in the NCAAs to a team it took 7 of 8 points from during the season, outscoring them 21-6 in the process? Because that just happened under Blais, and he didn't take much heat (although ... maybe that's the real reason the rink manager forced him out).

Reality is that he is on a short leash with fans. I expect that he will be given a bit more room by RT, which seems fair to me.

FWIW, I heard (fourth-hand, honestly) that several players who played under both thought Hakstol was a better choice than Sandelin for this job. That doesn't necessarily make him the right hire, but it doesn't hurt either.

actually there could have been...are you a history major?? have you done a thesis on it?? but rink rat...unlike yourself i do have a connection and i do know who it was...and if the sniffers on this board knew...they would fall off their rockin chair..now that my friend is FUNNY!!!!

actually there could have been...are you a history major?? have you done a thesis on it?? but rink rat...unlike yourself i do have a connection and i do know who it was...and if the sniffers on this board knew...they would fall off their rockin chair..now that my friend is FUNNY!!!!

I was just joking with you. The way the whole process has gone, I have really no idea what to think about the whole situation.

do you believe there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll?

Now there are two gunmen on the grassy knoll? :D I must really be getting behind on my conspiracy theories. :p

I agree with you that Hak would take the heat for failure, but it wouldn't necessarily be fair. For instance, would it qualify as failing along the way for the loaded team to not reach the Frozen Four, losing in the NCAAs to a team it took 7 of 8 points from during the season, outscoring them 21-6 in the process? Because that just happened under Blais, and he didn't take much heat (although ... maybe that's the real reason the rink manager forced him out).

Reality is that he is on a short leash with fans. I expect that he will be given a bit more room by RT, which seems fair to me.

FWIW, I heard (fourth-hand, honestly) that several players who played under both thought Hakstol was a better choice than Sandelin for this job. That doesn't necessarily make him the right hire, but it doesn't hurt either.

As usual you said what I wanted to say, but much better than I could have.

Perfect example.

Hakstol should be held accountable as any coach in his position should be. On the other hand, we can't hold him accountable for whatever the process was, right or wrong. It's not his fault that he applied for the job.

(although ... maybe that's the real reason the rink manager forced him out).

Ok, THAT's funny!

I agree, and I didn't post what I'd think "failure" might be since I don't know. Obviously a poor season would be one, but, would a failure to make the FF be another?

I think the expectations for this team to reach the FF, after the past two season failures, is super high, and Hak could be the recipient of unfair criticism if this team does not reach the FF. I do think they must perform well enough to make the tourney, at the very least, however.

The hiring process and the circus that it's created should not be the standard for Hak to get flak or not, but, like it or not, with all the rumours flying around for the past week, it could well be.

No doubt the current players are very comfortable with Hak and Berry, and the team shouldn't skip a beat with them now in charge. Any current players, dmen especially, jumping ship for an NHL contract could change drastically this teams' success.

With Hak and Berry both being Albertans, I do like the chances for a continued pipeline in recruting Canadian juniors, but I wonder what Blais' absence might do to recruiting success in MN. Hopefully, none. Fortunately, some very good SSM recruits are kids of Sioux alumni, which should help the MN pipeline continue. In addition, the Morehead pair (Lee, Vandevelde) have been quoted as saying the change in coaching does not change their decisions, good again.

Any idea the conference will be on the radio and if  so 1310 or 96.1 :D I am stuck at work this afternoon but want to hear what they have to say.

PA and Dubay were talking about the possibility of KFAN airing the press conference this afternoon on the morning show, which you can stream on your PC from links at the KFAN web site.

2PM, however, may be during the common man??? or hartman??? show, so who knows. If you can stand even a couple minutes of his (common man) show it may be worth checking out if there are no other options.

I think the expectations for this team to reach the FF, after the past two season failures, is super high, and Hak could be the recipient of unfair criticism if this team does not reach the FF.

I've seen instances where a new coach comes in and takes a team that's underachieved all the way to the top. After all, familiarity breeds contempt, and you have to wonder about that factor during the course of the long college hockey season. Sometimes changing the coaching part of the equation can provide the needed spark for a team to excel.

I'm hoping that's what happens with Hakstol because at this point, the stage is set for the Sioux to have a championship season.

...who was in some way tryin to force Hakstol to get hired...ever think of that???

Yes, I did. (I know of others that supposed it as well.) That's why I wanted a national search.

Instead, you'll all understand if I'm with ScottM regarding a 'short leash'.

Remember when the current class of seniors was freshmen and I preached "patience"? Well, no patience was shown in this hiring process. Clearly, the time for patience has passed: Results.