SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit League First Round: #7 UND (12-17) vs #2 Omaha (19-10) 3/9 830

SWSiouxMN

The final game of the regular season ended with a thud for UND.  A bad 2nd half led to USD getting the victory at home and sending UND to the 7 seed in Sioux Falls.  UND will start the First Round of Summit League Tournament play against the Mavericks of Omaha, who had already defeated UND twice in this season. 

The rise of Omaha was a surprise in the conference.  They proved the preseason prognosticators wrong as they finished well above their 8th place predicted finish.  In fact, they would have been the top seed and won a share of the conference title, if they didn't slip up against Oral Roberts.  Omaha as a very solid starting 5 that is not afraid of any team in the tournament and it is good enough to potentially cut down the nets in Sioux Falls.     What could cause them to fail?  Well despite a very solid starting 5, the bench is a major question that needs to be answered.  If Omaha had at least one solid bench player, it would be a different story. 

Omaha has beaten UND twice: Once on a buzzer beater in Grand Forks that UND admittedly let slip away and was solidly defeated down in Omaha (without the services of Avants).  Can UND find the missing puzzle piece that can get them the win in the matchup that matters the most?  

UND is more than capable of pulling off two upsets and getting to Tuesday Night.  They are also capable of getting the brakes beaten off of them tonight. Lets see which version of the team shows up on the neutral court.  Can Jones spin his March Magic once again?

Keys:

1) Find a way to slow down Hain and Pyle

2) Junior Class needs to step up and deliver.

3) Lean on your seniors

4) Hit Shots

5) Bench needs to step up

Other games

#1 SDSU vs #8 WIU (Saturday)

#4 NDSU vs #5 ORU (Sunday)

#3 Fort Wayne vs #6 USD (Sunday)

The Call:

I really want UND to finally get over the Omaha hump and with them at full strength it should be closer to the result in Grand Forks than down in Omaha. With that said, on a neutral court its a different animal.  I think UND shoots well enough to get the win.... but I don't think they can slow down Omaha's starting 5 enough.  I have a head and heart pick today.

Heart: UND 86-84

Head: Omaha 84-80

SWSiouxMN pick to win the Tournament:

I am sticking with SDSU to cut down the nets.  

Game is on Midco and ESPN+