SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Moreland

alum05

You've convinced me.

A steady round of that regimine, including the bike, for all of them! ;)

PS - GF is an nasty town to ride the bike in. You never get to coast (rest) because there's never a downhill.

The roads are in terrible condition too. Lots of pot holes.

You've convinced me.

A steady round of that regimine, including the bike, for all of them! ;)

PS - GF is an nasty town to ride the bike in. You never get to coast (rest) because there's never a downhill.

You forgot about having them bale some hay, perhaps the single most greatest conditioning activity one can do, plus, earn a little cash on the side. ;) They be out in the field, having that hot sun beating down on them, stacking hay onto a wagon, or up in one of those old barns that are just a sauna in there stacking hay.

OK, ....

Moreland needs to get to the weight pile and on the bike* (avoiding GF potholes and we'll call avoiding the potholes "agility training"). Current and prospective members of the team would be well advised to do the same. The bike is great work for hockey players: legs and cardio. Matt Moreland, et al, are you listening?

* Cross country tour with rolling land? Why not offer them the scenic beauty of a bike ride from Baldhill Dam to Kathryn? Or how about Bismarck to Washburn up 1804? A ride around the Bully Pulpit Golf Course at Medora? ;)

Or how about Bismarck to Washburn up 1804?

I made that ride in my younger days. I remember waving at Lewis and Clark, who admired the onion I wore on my belt. :(

Everyone meet at James Massen's house and bring your bicycles. ;)

I made that ride in my younger days. I remember waving at Lewis and Clark, who admired the onion I wore on my belt. ;)

YES!

Good concept: Start at Massen's; end at Fylling's. :(

You forgot about having them bale some hay, perhaps the single most greatest conditioning activity one can do, ...

Screw hay. They can pick rocks. I've got about 10 acres that would keep these boys busy for a while. Hell, I'll even provide the steak. ;)

I made that ride in my younger days. I remember waving at Lewis and Clark, who admired the onion I wore on my belt. :(

Judging by the shape that Massen was in last year, he probably hasn't seen a bicycle in quite awhile.

As for Moreland, I wish him the best because he is doing what he wants to do. However, my personal, uninformed opinion on him coming straight to college is that it is a mistake. He probably doesn't want to leave his friends (or girlfriend?). You know, behind every bad decision ever made by man, there was a woman that nudged him into it.

I wish Moreland the best as well, but I agree with your sentiment. If he wants to get on with life and get college started, more power to him. But if he wants to play hockey at UND, his best bet is to go play 60+ games in the USHL against other future Division 1 players. ... I hope he proves us both wrong and excels at UND despite taking an unusual route.

Apart from medical reasons, is there any reasoning that would allow Moreland to redshirt his first year? As stupid as that sounds, if he isn't spending a year in Sioux Falls, then perhaps he can wait that way and get quality playing time without giving up a year of eligibility. Matt may be good, but he's not ZPar (meaning he's not so good that his draft position will make him a key part of leaving early). That is, if he's even drafted (don't know the whole deal with when you can be drafted or if Matt is past his draft year).

Judging by the shape that Massen was in last year, he probably hasn't seen a bicycle in quite awhile.

As for Moreland, I wish him the best because he is doing what he wants to do. However, my personal, uninformed opinion on him coming straight to college is that it is a mistake. He probably doesn't want to leave his friends (or girlfriend?). You know, behind every bad decision ever made by man, there was a woman that nudged him into it.

Good call its the girlfriend from what ive been hearing.

2004 is Moreland's year of eligibility for the draft. He is not ranked though in the top 240 north american skaters (forwards and defensemen).

I don't honestly seeing him playing at UND either. Who is he going to play over?

To me it is clear: The level of ND HS hockey competition doesn't prepare you for the rigors of the WCHA. Coming right to a top tier Division I program from high school is a rarity any more.

The Zach Parises and Drew Staffords are exceptions, even from preps like Shattuck-St. Mary's.

The best example I could give to try to convince someone: Quinn Fylling.

He tried coming from the US National Development Team.

He ended up leaving UND for a year to play in Sioux Falls.

He's a much better player for it and able to contribute more at UND now.

Screw hay. They can pick rocks. I've got about 10 acres that would keep these boys busy for a while. Hell, I'll even provide the steak. ;)

A quick trip back to "conditioning techniques":

Three words: retaining wall block.

Oh my achin' everything ....

• 4 weeks later...