SiouxSports.com Forum

Lamoureux named USHL's top goaltender

Siouxhockey03

Quite a list there. Congrats to Phil!

Oy, there's going to be a mess between the pipes next season.

Other notables was that Topher fellow. 5'5" tall. I want Cornell to come in next season. ANOTHER Pittis, but shorter (unbelievably)! He wouldn't leave ND though. Bina would accidentally step on him and then we'd be in a mess....:D

I like how the article refers to him as a clone of Karl Goehring.  If he can perform any where near Karl's level, we will be in for a treat over the next couple of years.

I have looked for that in the article and can't find it anywhere...

Aha. Again the "haves" and the "have nots"!

Just for kicks:

Karl Goehring Fargo Ice Sharks 1996-1997

32 games 1909 mins 79 Goals 4 SO 2.48 GAA 13W 18L 954 svs 0.924 sv%

Phillippe Lamoureux Lincoln Stars 2003-04

50 games 2873 mins 134 goals 3 SO 2.80 GAA 22W 23L 1499 svs .918 sv%

More fun with numbers. I've compiled a list of goaltenders from the past couple of years that played in the WCHA & USHL. Let me know if I've missed anyone. I think I started this list last year so it contained anyone who was playing in 2002-03 or 2003-04.

I added Karl Goehring because he is the standard to which all UND goalies will be compared against, for good or ill.

I've listed their save % for each year of USHL or D1 hockey. USHL stats are listed with a U next to it. The data was collected from hockeydb and USCHO. The data is listed in order of the year they played but I didn't bother listing the actual year as we are comparing what they did each year vs. actual dates head to head.

Bruckler     

.918u                   

Brandt         

.902/.903u        (same year 2 teams)

Kollar

.910u

? (no stats listed)

Jason Jensen

.778u

.910u

.864u

Justin Johnson

.912u

Rob Anderson

.931u

.920u

Jake Moreland

.922u

.921u

Adam Berkhoel

.923u

Kellen Briggs

.900u

.903u

.901u

Jordan Parise

.915u

Nate Ziegelmann

.908u

(not listed as he didn't play much)

Josh Johnson

.911u

.915 (only played 9 games however)

Adam Coole

.891u

.922u

Karl Goehring

.924u

It appears to me that many, not all, goaltenders take about a .01 drop in sv% in their first year in D1. In fact, most seem to be D1 career about that much below their junior stats. Rough overview there, but that's a quick take.

Former Gopher Mike Erickson (moving on to Western Michigan of the CCHA) and Rastislav Spirko are both USHL 2nd teamers.

Here's an excerpt from an interview of Erickson:

(Interviewer): ... Who is the toughest forward ... you have faced this season?

Mike: Forward would probably be (Rastislav) Spirko (Tri-City).

Not a bad endorsement. :D

Word is Stastny and Howe were the best duo in in the USHL, but Spirko was probably the best all around player. I believe Stastny is Peter Stastny's kid, Denver picked up a good offensive player. I haven't seen any of these kids play, can't wait to see them next season, they appear to be the top 3 forwards from the USHL.

I'm going to be really interested to see what Ryan Kiap does next year. He scored 66 points in 60 games(I think) in a league that plays a very defensive style. He could turn into what Chris Porter was this year. The only difference is that Kiap has the numbers coming in and Porter didn't.

Top to bottom there will be no better class in college hockey!

I'm going to be really interested to see what Ryan Kiap does next year. He scored 66 points in 60 games(I think) in a league that plays a very defensive style. He could turn into what Chris Porter was this year. The only difference is that Kiap has the numbers coming in and Porter didn't.

Top to bottom there will be no better class in college hockey!

I agree the Sioux should have a good class next year, but I'm sure a lot of teams think their class is good top to bottom as well. I don't remember a class of signings that I haven't been excited about, and some haven't panned out like their stats would suggest they should.