SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Captains

Speez

Finally something to talk about as the season gets closer.

The captains were announced on Wednesday. Was waiting for an article in the Herald, but nothing. Maybe tomorrow.

Congrats to the new leaders for the upcoming season. Definately great picks to keep this young team on track to help build the dynasty for the next few years.

Congrats to Ryan Hale for getting the "C".

David Hale & Kevin Spiewak will be wearing the "A".

Great picks by the coaches. A combination of size, speed, leadership & smarts. 3 guys that will give what it takes to get the Sioux back on track.

These 3 know what its like to be winners & want that feeling back.

Captains practices are starting & the Ironman is underway.

The season is almost here. Can't Wait.

Maybe coincidence but it looks like the Dunk the Sioux charity deal did in fact showcase the captains...

Congratulations to the Hale's, and one of my favorite Sioux players Spiewak. I only wish there was room for Notermann because he probably deserves to be in that group too.

I know running and lifting are two big areas. (I was told lifting is normalized based on what you weigh so 140 pound Sofie lifting 140 is the same as 220 pound Massen lifting 220.)

I believe the two-time defending champion is backup goalie Ryan Sofie.

Tom Philion won it (four in a row?) before Sofie I believe.

I know running and lifting are two big areas. (I was told lifting is normalized based on what you weigh so 140 pound Sofie lifting 140 is the same as 220 pound Massen lifting 220.)

I believe the two-time defending champion is backup goalie Ryan Sofie.

Tom Philion won it (four in a row?) before Sofie I believe.

Sica is right on all counts. Lot of running competitions. Sophie is a big runner & jumps way out in front during these events.

Never could understand running training for hockey players. Probably the worst thing for their knees & ankles. I would think they would use rollerblade training for skaters. Isn't that part of the reason they were invented over 15 yrs. ago? Hockey coaches just don't seem to use them, where I think it would be a natural.

Other competitions are agility, plyo & swimminng along with the strength testing. It is quite a work-out & test to see who trained during the off-season. Now that most of the guys stick around & train during the summer the competition is quite fierce.

Can't wait for the games to begin

I'm pretty pleased with the selection of Captains. I think it will bode well for the overall leadership of the team this season.

I'm not really amazed by the emphasis on running. I think most programs rely on it, perhaps too much. However, I'm of the opinion that hardcore bike riding is a better conditioner, and less damaging on the joints, than running for hockey. The primary muscles used for skating and biking are the same, and it does wonders for increasing one's cardio capacity and muscle endurance. Just my .02. ;) I agree with swimming. If you can do laps for 15-20 minutes ... you're in better shape than me. ;)