SiouxSports.com Forum

DETROIT RED WINGS

GVSU Yooper

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the first period between TB and Montreal there were 17 minor penalties called. Is the WCHA now reffing NHL games too.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It sucks now because I can't point at the NHL and ask the WCHA refs why they can't be more like the NHL. ;)

Yeah, I noticed that too. It sucks now because I can't point at the NHL and ask the WCHA refs why they can't be more like the NHL. ;)

The calling of penalties settled down the rest of the way, but there is no reason to call 17 penalties in one period. That 34 minutes, the period is only 20 minutes long. That is a lot of special teams.

Detroit Red Wings, you're wanted on the first tee...Red Wings to the first tee. You will be following the Montreal Canadiens. :D

At least there was parking for the Wings players since the Wild had already finished the course long ago. ;)

Did anyone notice on the Hockey's Future forums that there's talk of Mapletoft being traded to Edmonton? I can't believe that redwing77 hasn't kept us informed of this development. :D;)

Did anyone notice on the Hockey's Future forums that there's talk of Mapletoft being traded to Edmonton? I can't believe that redwing77 hasn't kept us informed of this development. :D:D

It's because of all the emotional trauma that would cause if he were to leave the island for the frigid arctic weather of Edmonton. ;):angry:

Nope.

Everyone knows that the Canadiens are the Yankees of the NHL. Montreal has 25 Stanley Cup titles. Detroit has sizably less.

Not just talking about championships, talking about how everyone hates the Yankees, not only because they win, but because they like to spend a lot more money than other teams.

Not just talking about championships, talking about how everyone hates the Yankees, not only because they win, but because they like to spend a lot more money than other teams.

Even so, wouldn't the Rangers be the NHL version of the Yankees then? I thought they had the highest payroll in the NHL up until the trade deadline, anyways.

hey moron they are talking about thier payrolls

You are comparing apples and oranges. The Yankees have a payroll of 180 million, and has typically double of the next closest team (at least until this year with the Red Sox starting to close the gap) and 5 times as much as some teams. There is nothing comparable to the Yankees who typically buy all of their pitchers (Mussina, Clemens, Wells, Kevin Brown, etc.) and many position players (Giambi, etc.)

The Red Wings have typically not even been the highest payroll team. The Rangers typically are. Plus, the gap between the salaries in the NHL are not nearly as disproportionate as they are in baseball. The Red Wings core of players came out of their system or through trades, including Yzerman, Federov (now gone--purchased by the Ducks), Holmstrom, Lidstrom, Maltby (via trade), Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Draper, Fischer, Dandenault, etc. They traded for Chelios and Lang, and have a few free agents (Cujo, Hatcher, Hull, Shanahan). Virtually every team makes deals before the playoffs, and the Red Wings make no more deals than Colorado, Toronto, Philadelphia and others. Plus, players want to play for the Red Wings because of the tradition and fan support, so typically will take less to play for the Wings. If anything, they are more like the LA Lakers. Quite frankly, the Red Wings, along with the Devils and the Avalanche, are model franchises and the class of the NHL, irrespective of payroll.

Finally, whether you agree or disagree with someone on this board, please have some manners. Calling someone a moron is not appropriate, particularly when that person was not flaming or trolling. :D

Nice to see the dead things out of the race. Typical of a red shirt fan to start stuff like this to even think their team could make it. Not after last years pathetic ending to the Wild. Typical arrogance they can take straight to the golf course. I cannot stand the wings and their own fans...makes me sick :D

Nice to see the dead things out of the race.  Typical of a red shirt fan to start stuff like this to even think their team could make it.  Not after last years pathetic ending to the Wild.  Typical arrogance they can take straight to the golf course.  I cannot stand the wings and their own fans...makes me sick  :D

What the heck are you babbling on about?? The Red Wings didn't lose to the Wild in last years playoffs. They lost to that Mickey Mouse outfit out in Kalifornie, you know, them Ducks. ???