SiouxSports.com Forum

OT: News sources

PHX Brad

Can someone list web sites where I can find news about the team? I think grandforks.com is one, but are articles usually under the hockey tab or the university tab? Sorry for the newbie questions, thought I would get them out of the way before the season starts. Thanks for any help

I wonder about the Hurl also. There have been links posted here to Sioux hockey articles on the Herald site, but I can never find them. Sports-hockey only gets NHL stuff. Where are you finding Sioux hockey links in the Herald??

The Hurled is a sad excuse of a paper, and its website is even worse with regard to covering the team, especially when they're idle or in the offseason. The archives are a joke, to put it diplomatically. Virg Foss covers the team, but does little reporting when they're not playing. I've found more Sioux recruiting stories on USCHO and POI than in the Hurled.

Sometimes the Dakota Stupid, err Student, will cover the team on its website, in between its PC rants.

During the season, the Fargo Forum will often cover the team, but you have to give away your life's information through a subscription to get access.

The Strib and Pioneer Press can offer some stories, particularly if it's close to a UND-Minnesota game/series or there's a story of interest regarding a Minnesota-born player on the Sioux roster. (There was a really nice story this spring about Zach Parise in the Strib.)

Then again, the best place to gain top of the line, unbiased coverage of the team is here. Insightful analyis by armchair coaches, scathing critiques of players' errors ;) and a good place to post information, real or otherwise, about the team. ;)

Speaking of Virg Foss, I recall that a while back (10-15 years ago?) the Sioux hockey players blackballed Virg for something he wrote about the team. If memory serves, none of the players spoke to him for most of the year.

Does anybody recall the background on what he wrote and how it was settled?

Can someone list web sites where I can find news about the team?

Couple more:

http://www.fightingsioux.com

http://wcha.ocsn.com

For streaming audio of Sioux games (unless it will change this season?):

mms://sioux.gfwireless.com/gfwireless

For satellite TV coverage coordinates (if you have a dish):

http://www.ralphengelstadarena.com/satellite.html

Thanks for all the links guys. I mentioned the Herald because before the draft, the article below was on there:

'Matt-uration' process begins

Two talented Matts from UND, two from Baudette could be chosen in this weekend's NHL Draft in Toronto

By Virg Foss

Herald Staff Writer Grandforks.com

And then after the draft, I found this one.

Then again, the best place to gain top of the line, unbiased coverage of the team is here.

Now I know ;) Thanks again

Looks like UND is going to have to pay Blaiser more. I just got this from Sid Hartman. and he says, that new contract is in the works for men's hockey coach Don Lucia that at $250,000 will make him the highest-paid college hockey coach in the country.

How many years does Blais have left on his contract? Is this the last year or one after this?

There has been speculation on whether he is gone at the end of his contract or not. Some of that stems from his own comments at the time he signed the new agreement that 10 years in one place is probably long enough.

I don't think we would see him leave for any other college program, does anyone else? MN seems locked up for good now. Where else would he really want to go?

Pro ranks I suppose is a possibility.

But I wonder if Blais doesn't want to at least see the current young players through. Last year he said he thought his freshmen class was good enough to win another championship. This incoming class is pretty solid, and next year appears to be pretty decent as well. I have no information that says one thing or another but my gut feeling is he is here for the next 3 years or so, once this current team's potential runs out (big class graduates, and stars like Parise, etc who might leave early). Then maybe he would turn it over.

I can see another scenario. If my own speculation that Sandelin is being groomed to replace Blais is correct (again, I have no insider info, just my own opinions), considering they are good friends, maybe he leaves with the cupboard still full for Sandelin to come in and have strong success immed.

All speculation. I think he'll stay for approx 3 more seasons.

Dagies,

I reading what Blaiser has said it sounds like he enjoys what he is doing, I could see him getting a bigger contract if he continues to keep the program going in the right direction. Just a hunch, I am sure that a contract extension will probably be in the works soon. I am sure the University wants to have dean especially with the success he has had the last 6 seasons.

I hope you are right. He's one heck of a coach and it's easy to cheer for the program with him at the helm. If not, I think there are good choices in the wings who know how to win.

Sandelin

Steve Johnson

Cary Eades

etc

Honestly I don't see Eades as the coach. I think he as pretty good deal at Warroad. I he gets paid to coach by Marvins. I don't think he even has to teach.

I hope we don't have to discuss Blaiser leaving for a while. I like the job he is doing right now...