SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU schedule

mustangfan

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corella, I can take it, no big deal. You see the major differnce between NDSU playing Montana Tech and UND playing Crookson is that you won't see Montana Tech on the NDSU's schedule 3 or 4 years in a row. If that happens, please, I beg of you to give us crap every day of the year and twice on Sundays. Whereas the Sioux have been playing Crookston for years now. See the difference. But keep on giving it, it's all good and meant in fun. :lol:

Tony--you are D1 now, don't worry about UND and all that D2 crap. You guys are in the big show now--according to your President and A.D. that is.

Your bigger than UND and all those sorry ass D2 schools that we schedule. NDSU's schedule should be riveting next year cause those teams are D1 schools and not D2.

We dumped Crookston for good, you picked up Tech. Even's out for a year I believe.

UND-Gary. First, I'm not DI, NDSU (almost) is. Second, if you were talking about UND football, I wouldn't be posting here.

For the record, I never said that Ferris, Mesa, Delta, and C. Washington are crappy teams - they have had some very good teams in the past - they're just not that interesting as matchups, especially to the casual fan. There's a difference.

North Alabama, Pittsburg State, Northwest Missouri, TAMUK, Indiana PA, Carson-Newman, Valdosta State, and Grand Valley State - those are the teams I'd want to see if I were a UND fan - heck, I would love to see those teams on NDSU's schedule too. Beyond that, meeting former conference partners occasionally would be kind of cool.

It made a lot more sense to compare UND's and NDSU's non-conference schedule back when they shared a conference but now the conference schedules are no longer a wash...

NDSU's top five opponents: Northern Colorado, UC Davis, Cal Poly SLO, Weber State, and Northwestern State (LA). How do you think these teams compare with UND's top five opponents?

UND-Gary. First, I'm not DI, NDSU (almost) is. Second, if you were talking about UND football, I wouldn't be posting here.

For the record, I never said that Ferris, Mesa, Delta, and C. Washington are crappy teams - they have had some very good teams in the past - they're just not that interesting as matchups, especially to the casual fan. There's a difference.

North Alabama, Pittsburg State, Northwest Missouri, TAMUK, Indiana PA, Carson-Newman, Valdosta State, and Grand Valley State - those are the teams I'd want to see if I were a UND fan - heck, I would love to see those teams on NDSU's schedule too. Beyond that, meeting former conference partners occasionally would be kind of cool.

It made a lot more sense to compare UND's and NDSU's non-conference schedule back when they shared a conference but now the conference schedules are no longer a wash...

NDSU's top five opponents: Northern Colorado, UC Davis, Cal Poly SLO, Weber State, and Northwestern State (LA). How do you think these teams compare with UND's top five opponents?

so tony, were you interested in Ferris State when you scheduled them for a non-conference game a few years back when you were just a lowly D2 team? I bet you were. Or how about Delta State when they sent you home in the semi-finals in 2000 in the kitty litter? any interest in that game? gotta love bison spin. :lol:

Actually, I would argue that SDSU belongs in the top five instead of Northwestern St. Again, computer rankings are all we have to go on when comparing teams of different classifications, and SDSU ranks far higher than NW St. (or Southern Utah).

If you are comparing the top end teams on the respective schedules of UND and NDSU, I would give the nod to NDSU since UNC, Weber St., Cal-Poly and UC-Davis are all pretty high-quality opponents. For UND, I'd say that UNO, Delta St., St. Cloud St., Ferris St. and Mesa St. would be the top five based upon last year's results, although UMD and Central Washington have also had very good teams in at least one of the past couple of years. I don't think the top end advantage is particularly large for NDSU, but I will give you that one.

The problem with NDSU's schedule is, aside from the top four, I don't believe anybody on their schedule would have a particularly good chance of even making the division II playoffs. By contrast, UND has anywhere from five to seven legitimate playoff contenders on its schedule. So in terms of the top half of the schedule, I'd give NDSU an advantage. In terms of the bottom half of the schedule, I'd give UND an advantage. UND also has the advantage in that three of its probable top five games (and five of the top seven) are at home, whereas four of NDSU's probable top five games are on the road.

No way is SDSU better than Northwestern St. They will contend for the Southland conference title this year, and I'm afraid that will probably be a loss for us. Southern Utah has apparently improved quite a bit the last year or two, since they gave UNC a good game. I think our top five opponents (in no particular order) will be UC-Davis, UNC, Cal-Poly, Northwestern St., and Weber St. Also, I think UND put together a very good schedule this year.

No way is SDSU better than Northwestern St. They will contend for the Southland conference title this year, and I'm afraid that will probably be a loss for us. Southern Utah has apparently improved quite a bit the last year or two, since they gave UNC a good game. I think our top five opponents (in no particular order) will be UC-Davis, UNC, Cal-Poly, Northwestern St., and Weber St. Also, I think UND put together a very good schedule this year.

What?! You dare to question the computer? :lol: Unfortunately, as I said it's nearly impossible to accurately measure how teams from different levels compare.

Tone-dog,

The teams I'd like to see if I were a NDSU fan are Georgia Southern, Youngstown St., Delaware, Colgate, and Montana. Since you aren't playing them, then that means your schedule is average right? What's your point--it isn't financially possible to schedule all the best teams.

Everyone,

Enough already about scheduling strong teams in preseason and what it does for you. It does crap. Look at NDSU. What have they won with all these supposed tough games they have scheduled in the past? Nothing--no Conference champions in the last 10 years, no National Champions, and all these tough preseason games did what for them?

UND played some tough (Central Wash.), some really weak teams (Moorhead--NDSU also palyed them, Crookston, etc.) and still did just fine throughout the recent past with success in conference.

Tone-dog,

The teams I'd like to see if I were a NDSU fan are Georgia Southern, Youngstown St., Delaware, Colgate, and Montana. Since you aren't playing them, then that means your schedule is average right? What's your point--it isn't financially possible to schedule all the best teams.

Everyone,

Enough already about scheduling strong teams in preseason and what it does for you. It does crap. Look at NDSU. What have they won with all these supposed tough games they have scheduled in the past? Nothing--no Conference champions in the last 10 years, no National Champions, and all these tough preseason games did what for them?

UND played some tough (Central Wash.), some really weak teams (Moorhead--NDSU also palyed them, Crookston, etc.) and still did just fine throughout the recent past with success in conference.

YEAH!!!! you tell 'em Gary!!!! :lol:

Sicatoka...I am thrilled as hell with the new conference realignment by NDSU. I get to go to two football games and drive a max of 4 hours (UNC). The Weber game will be only 2 1/2 hours away. Also heard a rumor that in BB the men may be coming to Laramie for a game against Wyoming.... Living out West, (except for UNC) the opportunities to attend games involved a plane trip to Fargo. I like this a lot better than the NCC. Then again I could be accused of being a selfish bastard. :lol:

My opinion is probably just as accurate as the computer, as I can only go from heresy (sp) on the I-AA board.  I actually think Massey does a pretty good  job, but like you said I think it kind of falls apart when comparing teams from different divisions.

Even taking the computer rankings completely out of the picture, my opinion is based upon: 1) the NCC was pretty strong last year; 2) SDSU was quite competitive in the league and finished 7-4 overall; 3) I believe that the top five teams from last year's NCC (UND, NDSU, UNO, St. Cloud St. and SDSU) would probably have had a very good chance to beat virtually any unranked I-AA team (and probably some ranked ones), at least on a neutral field, and 4) I believe Northwestern St. was unranked in the final poll, and received no votes. Now, who knows what next year's teams will be like, but based strictly on last year's results, I think a good faith argument can be made that Northwestern St. is no better than an average NCC team. Yikes, I can't believe I just defended SDSU! :lol:

I think a good faith argument can be made that Northwestern St. is no better than an average NCC team.

I'll admit I didn't much about NW State until recently however they went to the playoffs in IAA in 97, 98, 01 and 02. They also beat Delta St 35-7 in 02. They also average over 10k fans a game. I don't think the average NCC team could do that. I don't plan on defending Montana Tech however. :lol:

There are some great opponent on it. We will compete for the Conference Title....

WWOOOWWW!!! A CONFERENCE TITLE!!! I hope Chris Magnus has the Fargo PD ready for the rioting!!! HEADLINE: NDSU WINS INAUGAURAL TITLE OF GREAT WEST! (Subheadline) Former DII teams find out they STILL suck at DI-AA!! (Sub-sub headline) BISON FANS celebrate blowout wins over VALPO and MONTANA TECH!! - NCAA Considers admitting NDSU to postseason EARLY because they're so great!! -- in your dreams suckers....get a life

Siouxmenow.....hmmm.....Just a run of the mill asshole I see........

now you jokers talk like winning the "GREAT WORST CONFERENCE" is a big deal...(stifling a laugh) HELLO!! It's a bunch of DII refugees who don't have anywhere else to go because legit DI-AA conferences slammed their doors in your face despite your great DII reputations. You might as well have stuck around and tried to do something at the DII level rather than tucking your tail between your legs and running away. The Great WORST will be a joke in the DI-AA world for a long time...regardless of how many NAIA schools you beat up. You jerks were so desperate to one-up UND you only succeeded in moving to a MARGINALLY BETTER FB conference while screwing all your other sports forever! UNI landed its team in the NCAA 64 this season for the first time in 15 YEARS (and only the 2nd time EVER since they moved up)...and promptly went one and out...that's what you have to look forward too outside of the 4 months of FB every year. WHOO HOOO!!! We had three sports contending for national titles this year...too bad things didn't work out but you've got 1 sport that might make some waves on the national scene by 2010...and don't bring up that softball and wrestling crap...there are more people at Mcdonalds on $1 Fillet o fish Friday than there have ever been at a wrestling match or softball game...again...YOU'RE THE *SSHOLES!!!!!!!!