SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers at Sioux

sioux fan in phoenix

I saw an event tonite. I'm not even going to try and analyze the play. This game was exciting from a fan's perspective. More twists and turns and suspence than a good mystery novel, cold dead chances that were and weren't converted on, heavy hitting, some scrums, outstanding individual efforts.

I'm spent, and I'm not even that disappointed. This game could have gone either way. We made a couple more mistakes the ended up costing us than the gophers otherwise I thought we played them fairly even, though the game had ups and downs at times for both teams.

This kind of game is why I'm a college hockey fan. What a great time.

I love my Sioux.

Ditto.

It is a great building, that was filled with a rabid crowd, that was cheering with

fervor, and passion, for teams who are clearly the best in the country right now, who played a yeoman's game. Blais showed his brass with the 6X4. Even the Gopher fans we were near with giving him kudos for that. Parise is one hellofa

hockey player, and an even better kids. Of course, you can say that about all the players who were suited up last night, except for maybe that Gopher hack, Jake Taylor.

A couple of mental lapses by both squads. I would love to see a rematch this year. I'll go with our Sioux nine times out of ten with the present rosters.

Ok, maybe only four times out of five. Time to Spring to Boston.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished watching a tape of the game...That's why I love College Hockey! I am emotionally spent. I agree that Irmen should have been MVP.

These teams are both worthy of Frozen 4 bids and I hope they meet again in Boston. WPoS, I like your chances in your bet with Goon. Personally, I don't care where they stick the Gophers for the Tourney. C. Springs, Grand Rapids, if the Gophers play with the heart they showed last night they can take all comers on the road to Boston.

Big Picture: I'm glad nobody got hurt last night, IMO these teams will meet again in Beantown.

You people are delusional. Top 3 Sioux Whine Rants:

1. Minnesota had home ice advantage (that's right, there were no NoDak fans in attendance and some of the fans actually swapped places with the players to help them win).

2. The Refs blew the game - Sioux should have had a 2 on 0, man!! (Never mind if Minnesota had scored - the quick whistle would have been applauded then, lol)

3. If it wasn't for the Potulny's and Irmen the Gophers would be playing pee wee hockey (This one is especially delicious irony - where is GOD from again???)

For the Whiners (and not the Sioux fans here who HAVE displayed class - you winers know who you are) I'll leave you with three words to ponder like Men if you are able to:

DEAL WITH IT!!

You people are delusional. Top 3 Sioux Whine Rants:

1. Minnesota had home ice advantage (that's right, there were no NoDak fans in attendance and some of the fans actually swapped places with the players to help them win).

2. The Refs blew the game - Sioux should have had a 2 on 0, man!! (Never mind if Minnesota had scored - the quick whistle would have been applauded then, lol)

3. If it wasn't for the Potulny's and Irmen the Gophers would be playing pee wee hockey (This one is especially delicious irony - where is GOD from again???)

For the Whiners (and not the Sioux fans here who HAVE displayed class - you winers know who you are) I'll leave you with three words to ponder like Men if you are able to:

DEAL WITH IT!!

You are terribly up tight for being a fan of the winning team. Maybe you need to go somewhere and deal with it.

You are terribly up tight for being a fan of the winning team. Maybe you need to go somewhere and deal with it.

Where are people whining. I am happy the GOphers won. I complained about the ref because the WCHA has the bottom of the Barrel Refs

1.  Minnesota had home ice advantage (that's right, there were no NoDak fans in attendance and some of the fans actually swapped places with the players to help them win).

I'm not whining about it because playing the Final Five at the Xcel makes a lot of sense and it's an outstanding facility. However, if you can't see that playing there gives the Gophers an advantage, then you're the one who's delusional.

2.  The Refs blew the game - Sioux should have had a 2 on 0, man!!  (Never mind if Minnesota had scored - the quick whistle would have been applauded then, lol)
This is completely in your head. I made the observation that I didn't know why man in the crease was called because the tape replay clearly shows that it never happened.

It doesn't matter anyway because Bochenski did score shorthanded on that UM power play. Unlike some Gopher fans, I'm not arrogant enough to believe that the Sioux would have had two shorthanded goals had Adam not needlessly blown his whistle.

3.  If it wasn't for the Potulny's and Irmen the Gophers would be playing pee wee hockey (This one is especially delicious irony - where is GOD from again???)

Stop listening to the voices in your head. You're the only one here saying that.

In PCM's arguement that Brandt deserved an award...

1. At a time when the Sioux were 3-4-1 and UND had to play four of its last six games on the road against WCHA opponents, Brandt helped the Sioux get a road sweep at Mankato. In the first game with the Sioux in the penalty box for more than half the first period, Brandt made some huge saves that kept UND in the game (USCHO game recap).

2. With the WCHA title on the line, UND went to UMD, trailing the Bulldogs by two points in the league. The Bulldogs had the top offense in the nation, the top power play in the nation, a 14-game unbeaten streak going and the highly touted Isaac Reichmuth in goal. Brandt gave up only two goals for the series while Reichmuth gave up six. Brandt was the difference in the second game that enabled UND to take sole possession of first place USCHO game recap).

3. Brandt held Michigan Tech to one goal on 23 shots in a game that gave UND sole possession the WCHA championship. Meanwhile, in Wisconsin, Reichmuth allowed two goals in 26 shots in a game that cost his team any chance at the WCHA title.

What did Adam Berkhoel do for Denver in the WCHA this season that was so outstanding? I noticed that the Pioneers were conspicuously absent from the Final Five this year.

Yet, when Briggs goes in and gets 2 wins against very good teams (UMD and UND) he is not deserving of an award. I guess if the 2 wins this weekend came against Tech and MSU, he would be deserving.

Yet, when Briggs goes in and gets 2 wins against very good teams (UMD and UND) he is not deserving of an award. I guess if the 2 wins this weekend came against Tech and MSU, he would be deserving.

He was arguing that Brandt deserved to be on the 3rd team of the WCHA team not MVP of a tournament, you dope. They are two completely different situations.

My 2 cents.

Last nights game was one of the best hockey games I've seen this year. Lots of back and forth action.

Greene and Jones probably played the worse game of the year, especially Greene.

Brandt played very average, as did Briggs - 8 GA in 2 games = MVP? Someone flunked math

Parise played incredible should win the Hobey I hope the Devils were not watching the games, BB had a very good tourny also

Vanek was the lasiest player on the ice, the Randy Moss of college hockey

Ballard was schooled by BB, other than that he was very solid, he is a good D man

Smaby was the best D man on the ice for the Sioux, glad to see him improving

If they didn't want to give MVP to a player from the losing team, give it to Irmen, I join the rest of the people scrathing their heads about Briggs

I think the loss will be good for the Sioux, one last brain fart before the NCAA's

Why does Waibel always seem to score against the Sioux?

The win was good for the Gophers, if they would have played like they did the last two weeks, they would have been right up with the Sioux and UMD.

The Sioux will either have the possibility of MI in MI or Denver in CO. I'd take Denver, but MI isn't that good this year, so no excuses if we head East.

Big Picture:  I'm glad nobody got hurt last night, IMO these teams will meet again in Beantown.

Try telling this to the UMD faithful . . . .

Lessard is now questionable. Don't know where Stapleton and Brosz stand either.

Here is hoping that the Dogs will be as well-healed as they possibly can be by the time that Friday rolls around.

Injuries. Man, can they ever sting this time of the year.

Bottom line: The Sioux have the better resume over the season and have earned the #1 overall seed. However, the Gophers have stepped-up their intensity and have equal talent with the Sioux and IMO the two teams are even on neutral ice. They are both Great teams.

Umm, what are you talking about? I glanced through this thread and didn't see any of those supposed whines. The only thing people have complained about is Briggs winning the MVP over any number of players.

Perhaps I was blending the whines on USCHO and here but at a quick glance I did find the following that you must have missed:

Marty:

6) It was a penalty on Zach when he was pulled down near the end of the game

RMS

Thats because he totally missed the call about a minute before that when one of the UM players had both hands pulling on a UND stick, i think it was bochenski's.

Sioux fan since '90

If we want to talk about Adam, what about the whistle he blew when the Sioux would've had a 2 on 0? That was definately a call that didn't need to be made.

DamStrait

First UMN PP (on which they scored) was BOoOoOogus! 2nd UMN goal was offside by like 10 !@%^($%#&$#*%^ feet!

On another note: I hope the unholy trio of the Potulny bros. and Irmen find their traitorous actions to be worth their immortal souls. Clearly, UMN would not be near the team they are without them.

:D

One other note - without checking the entire WCHA record book, that it would be a championship game record for the number of North Dakota natives starting (5): Irmen, Potulny, Massen, Bina, Schneider.

You forgot Fuher and Fylling.

One other note - without checking the entire WCHA record book, that it would be a championship game record for the number of North Dakota natives starting (5): Irmen, Potulny, Massen, Bina, Schneider.

And there are two Potulnys so the total would be 8 ND Natives.

I agree with jloos.

And, no, I don't believe Adam is the worst WCHA ref. He made, imo, two bogus calls this game. He did call too many penalties, true, but they were penalties.

Sorry, Don Adam haters, Todd Anderson owns the worst ref bill. Just be happy we didn't have him all year long (excpet for the HoF game).

Interesting how R. Potulny can miss more games than Massen during the regular season but seems to be a force as soon as he's put back in the lineup, more so than Massen..like he didn't miss a beat. Probably has to do with natural talent.

There were rumors that something was up with Massen off the ice other than the injury. If that's the case, never doubt the power of that either.

Isn't that what happened to Kollar?

Interesting how R. Potulny can miss more games than Massen during the regular season but seems to be a force as soon as he's put back in the lineup, more so than Massen..like he didn't miss a beat. Probably has to do with natural talent.

I don't pretend to know what has been up with Massen this year. Like most Sioux fans, I admire any kid who can make it from Bismarck into the WCHA. Even last night, he showed flashes of what the pro scouts see - flashes bright enough for my amateur eyes. He blasted Taylor and Ballard with hard clean hits, he dangled the puck, he unloaded a heavy snap shot that caught Briggs by surprise (hit his stick).

And last year, there was stretch of games where he was better than point-a-game for 8 weekends plus.

Gotta feel for the guy, whatever's going on it must ave been a tough year. Hopefully its something to learn from and build on.