SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey

dagies

We are in the lowest of the low part of the year.  The old season is basically ancient history.  The new season not close enough for anything but wishful thinking.

I tripped over this article the other day that I think defines Sioux hockey.  Tell me if you agree:

http://www.uschm.com/faceoff.htm

The paragraph I really like about this article:

Goren, quite talented with a postgame microphone in hand, holds no punches when it comes to commentary about the contribution of the guy behind the bench. "Coach Blais works us into the ground all the time and he demands hard work and determination. If there's one thing I've learned since I've been here, it's that. And if you don't do that you don't play for the guy. In the long run, it pays off." Goerhing, who played through shoulder and concussion woes all season until Blais ordered a month on the recuperation shelf in March, put on a clinic in Providence, especially in the Maine shutout. His assessment of Blais: "He really prepares us. He understands all of our abilities and organizes that into a winner. I really appreciate the opportunity to play for a coach like him, and things like tonight are because of him."

:D

• 1 month later...

I'm assuming the boys were at the REA to make sure that all the concert goers treated the REA with respect..... ;)http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/3952054.htm

From the "University of the Northern Plains" by Louis G. Geiger copyright 1958 pages 414-415:

"Waning student enthusiasm for the old favorites (football & basketball) of a half centruy was, of course, also a product of the spectacular success of intercollegiate hockey, which appeared for the first time after the war. ..... That year (1946-47) the University more than held its own with a 6-4 record against such powers as the University of Minnesota, U of Michigan, Michigan Technical College, and Colorado College. Although the unheated and drafty Winter SPorts Building could be exceedingly uncomfortable for spectators, the enthusiasm saroused was far beyond the expectations of even the promoters. ..... Most of the varsity players were recruited from Canada, the pattern throughout the league, ( talking about Western Intercollegiate Hockey League, members were U of Michigan, Mischigan State U, Michigan Technical C., U of MN, Colorado College, U of Denver and UND - this league broke up in 1958), but the rank and file of the student body took up the game in the form of overshoe hockey played at odd hours on the coulee or the flooded front yards of fraternity houses. .... The university schedule of 1957-1958 included 29 games, a number of them extra-league contests with Harvard, the US National team, and several independent teams from Winnipeg. Long before the season opened the U confidently looked forward to attracting 40,000-50,000 spectators to its home contests; early in the season 1,800 turned out to witness an intersquad scrimmage.

The discovery of a sport in which ND could hold its own in the big time was a morale factor not to be lightly discounted, and the hockey teams were in their way symbolic of the rising optimism and self-confidence that characterized the University as a whole after 1946."

(The editorial in the Herald today quoted passages from Geiger's book, and since I happened to have a copy of said book I pulled it off the shelve to see what it said about hockey.) It was interesting to see what the home attendence figures were predicted to be back in 1957/8.

Does anyone recall what the attendence figures for last season were?

From the same uschm.com article quoted by dagies:

All Goren, a soon-to-be Boston Bruin, did in the championship game was rack up three points on the three third-period goals with the championship on the line in the final 20 minutes of, remember, a rebuilding season.

Goren scored three goals in that game? I only remember two. Oh well, after the game, ESPN gave him credit for scoring the game-winning goal, which was also incorrect. I guess that's how legends are born. ;)

From the same uschm.com article quoted by dagies:

Goren scored three goals in that game? I only remember two. Oh well, after the game, ESPN gave him credit for scoring the game-winning goal, which was also incorrect. I guess that's how legends are born. ;)

I suppose it is possible he assisted on a 3rd goal.

Greyeagle, those memories will stay fresh for a long time. For instance, I can't remember the championship game for 2002. Was it UM/Maine, UND/BC or UND/BU? They are all so recent. ;)

Hey, I would like to make some comment about you posting on "our" board but I think they have all been used up. ;);)

Yes he did, on the gamewinner. The rebound of his shot was put in by Ulmer. I remember it much more clearly than anything that happened last year ;)

I didn't read carefully enough. I see now that the story is saying that Goren got three points off the three third period goals. But the way it's written, it could also be interpreted as him scoring all three of the goals. My bad.