SiouxSports.com Forum

New athletic director at UM

jk

At the risk of appearing obsessed about Minnesota, I think the UM's naming of a new athletic director could have some potential long-term impact on UND.  There are positives and negatives.  On the positive side, having been at Denver and Miami, he understands the plight of the smaller school in the big conference, and would hopefully resist the Big 10 Conference urge that some people have.  

On the downside, he arrived at Miami just after they ditched their Native American nickname, and guided them through that trying period.  Perhaps he is now of the opinion that a name change can be accomplished, despite the perceived obstacles.  (I don't know what his opinion is.)  The next time the name/logo issue surfaces, having a name-change advocate in charge of athletics at the UM would not be helpful.

SCCC has enough internal problems to deal with as well, but that hasn't stopped them from taking an active position against the Sioux nickname and logo and asking the WCHA and the NCC to ban American Indian nicknames.

The last time SCCC brought the issue before the WCHA, it was voted down 9 to 1.

I think the new AD is going to have his hands full raising money for the department, dealing with the merger fallout and figuring out how to the get football program a new stadium, and otherwise keeping that place going.   If the name issue hasn't been a real problem at Minnesota before, I don't see it being one in the near future, barring some stupid drunken frat-boy incident--which always seems to bring the issue up again at some level.   :D  

I think the Minnesota boosters would look less kindly on somebody paying more attention to another school's affairs than their own, unlike the nitwits at SCCC.  Unlike SCCC, Minnesota alums/boosters tend to be more involved and vocal in their support/dislike for an AD or President.  If he starts cutting programs and whining about the Sioux name at the same time, I'd guess he had better update his resume.   :(

I also think SCCC standing in the league is probably seen nothing more than a second rate division II program. I mean really they are a mediocre NCC team and they have yet to win anything in the WCHA other than a final five banner.

I think the biggest endorsement is the 9-1 defeat of the proposal to drop the fighting Sioux name. I just don't see it in the cards.

Hey Greyeagle, give them credit. They've expanded their horizons to include age discrimination too!

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/3059502.html

An equal opportunity discriminator!  :D

If I remember correctly UM stated a couple years ago the would not play non-conf. games against teams with Indian names.  We've played the NE LA football team the past couple years and I think they are the Indian.  I'll have to check out our schedules and see.  Should be no worries.