SiouxSports.com Forum

PWR: What does it take to be number one?

U2Bad1

UND has increased their RPI lead this weekend with BC getting booted out of the hockey east tournement. Im not an expert on PWR by any means, but what will it take for UND to grab the soul lead in the pairwise rankings? Seems like everytime i look at it UND, Maine and BC are tied for first!

If you go to the individual comparisons page of USCHO's Pairwise Rankings, you'll see UND currently loses the comparison to Maine.

UND has better RPI, but Maine has better record vs TUC and better record vs common opponents. And there's no head-to-head points since we didn't play them.

IF UND wins the Final Five, and if Maine loses 1 game at the HE tournament, the Sioux record vs TUC would be better than Maine's, and we'd win that comparison. In turn, that would give UND sole #1 in the PWR.

Since RPI is the tiebreaker, I think UND is in very good shape for a #1 overall seed. I haven't done the math, but the only scenario where we "might possibly" fall to a #2 would be if we lose twice at the X. Even that may not be enough, tho.

The question is really whether we go to Colorado Springs or Michigan. As the #1 overall, I'd hope we go to Colorado. But if CC squeaks in as a #4 seed, then the Selection Committee may decide its more fair for UND to play Bemidji / HC in Grand Rapids....

A key for UND is to stay in the top 2 and get a "cupcake" first round opponent....

As the saying goes, just win baby.

Hyping the home site -- this page shows matchups won/lost for UND and lets you dig in more detail into how each criteria is determined. When you look at the details of UND's lost matchup vs. Maine, we already have RPI. COP will be very hard to change because we're 4-4, they're 4-1, and we have no COPs scheduled.

TUC is where it could happen. Had Michigan Tech gotten a game off us, that would've raised their RPI enough to make them a TUC and adding in our 6-1 record vs them would've put us over Maine. As is, we just need to beat one more TUC in our conference tourney than they do, because RPI (which we already win) is the tiebreaker.

I think the thing to be concerned with is if Maine holds on to their comparison with ND, is that the way BC is playing will Maine win BC comparison? If so ND becomes #2 regardless of RPI...

UND will probably have to beat three TUC opponents while Maine will have to beat two to win their playoffs. That will even up the TUC as both teams will be 18-6-2, leaving Maine and UND tied with one comparison each. Then I think the RPI might give UND the advantage.

UND will probably have to beat three TUC opponents while Maine will have to beat two to win their playoffs.

North Dakota will play 2 TUCs at the most since they only have two more WCHA games... We need Maine to lose to a TUC or have some of the crappy teams that they played no longer be considered TUCs. What would it take for SCSU not to be a team under consideration?

You guys need to relax about the whole number one ranking. Remember, Its not who goes into the NCAA's ranked number 1 that is important, its who comes out of the frozen four as the Number 1 team in all the land. And just how do you do that? Ya kick a little Gluteus Maximus all over the Ice. thats how its done ladies and gents. ;)

Plus, it's a whole lot easier for poor Diggler to figure out there that way. :(

You guys need to relax about the whole number one ranking. Remember, Its not who goes into the NCAA's ranked number 1 that is important, its who comes out of the frozen four as the Number 1 team in all the land. And just how do you do that? Ya kick a little Gluteus Maximus all over the Ice. thats how its done ladies and gents. ;)

Plus, it's a whole lot easier for poor Diggler to figure out there that way. :(

But it does matter, because the #1 overall gets to be the home team throughout, and that means they get the last line change.

North Dakota will play 2 TUCs at the most since they only have two more WCHA games... We need Maine to lose to a TUC or have some of the crappy teams that they played no longer be considered TUCs. What would it take for SCSU not to be a team under consideration?

It would probably take a Gopher sweep in the first rounds for SCSU not to be considered. Oh wait, that happened. #1 seed is nice to have, but you still have to win the games up to the final game for it to matter.

I'm sure that whatever happens the PWR will figure out a way with the bonus points to make sure that the top West teams will be in the same bracket so that they can once again be assured that there is an eastern team in the NCAA Final game. So that means if UND stays at Number 1 and Duluth is a Nmber 1 seed that they'll do the bonus to make sure Duluth is the 4th Number 1 seed so if we both make it to Boston we'd have to play each other in the semis. Damn eastern bias :glare:

It comes down to the fact that we should take the number 1 or the number 2 overall spots into the ncaa's. it can be assumed that those teams will be split: one to the east, one to the west. the only place we might not have home ice is in the ncaa championship game then--if the #1 overall also advances to the finals. at this point i think that may be looking a little too far ahead.