SiouxSports.com Forum

Bertuzzi Sucker Punch

Diggler

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just in...

Bertuzzi suspended for the rest of the season, including the playoffs. He must apply for reinstatement for next year's season, 2004-2005.

Wow did Lady luck spread her legs and was rearin' to go this morning for Todd Berpu$$y. That amounts to 13 games and the playoffs. Should have been more than McSorley (23 games) because of the premeditaion involved.

A friend suggested maybe they left it at a hearing for the next season because with the possibility of a lockout they didn't want to say "suspended next year" only to have him locked out. So they may leave it at a hearing so they can decide what to do once they know if games will be played and even if they will have a whole season.

It's plausible.

• 3 months later...

The league issued a statement on Thursday regarding the legal developments.

"As we stated at the time the suspension was imposed, we believe the League rendered an appropriate decision, one that was stern and swift," said Bill Daly, the league's executive vice president and chief legal officer. "We did what we believe was right, for the players involved and the sport as a whole.

"We, therefore, would have preferred that the Crown not take this action. Having said that, the Vancouver authorities have made their decision and we remain committed to offering our full cooperation in any way we can."

I agree that it should be handled by the league.

Bertuzzi didn't think about anything beyond hurting Moore but I doubt his intention was for it to go as far as it did.

Moore had fought earlier but refusing to turn and fight Bertuzzi(not that he had to) made Bertuzzi's frustration boil over. I'm not saying frustration is an excuse for losing control. We all have to practice that. I just happen to believe that it was a tragic hockey incident which went farther than anyone intended. It still needs to be kept within hockey.

sucker punch or not, there is no way now that Bertuzzi will ever play hockey in the NHL. This same thing ended McSorley's career. I think it will do the same to Todd's. Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I think the only entity that should be able to revoke a player's career should be the league.