SiouxSports.com Forum

Minor MIRACLE ON ICE - Thanks Burgraffs!

SiouxMeNow

I'm not really in the youth hockey loop, but I thought Grafton won Bantam A last year? I was talking to a relative from Grafton at EDC, his son is on the Pee-Wee A team that is undefeated. Look for GPR to be on the same level as RR and Central the next few years.

I heard this Pee Wee team is incredible. I know a couple of the parents of some players and said these kids are very talented. It looks good for Grafton in hockey in the next couple of years.

I heard this Pee Wee team is incredible. I know a couple of the parents of some players and said these kids are very talented. It looks good for Grafton in hockey in the next couple of years.

Grafton's Bantam A was horrible last year. The Fargo Flyers beat them 8-1 and 9-1 last year. The Flyers lost only 5 games last year, and in my opinion, is the best group in the State. However, they stumbled at State and lost to the GF Wheatkings after beating them 2 out of 3 times during the year. The Flyers finished 3rd. The Wheatkings has always been the nemesis, beating the Flyers 4-3 in the championship game at PeeWee A. That Flyer group has only lost to one ND team since Squirts, and that is Grand Forks.

Minot also has a strong sophomore class and actually won Bantam A last year. The Flyers beat them at PeeWee A 8-1, but never got a chance to play them last year after losing to GF.

If South does not win at least 1 State title the next 2 years, there is something wrong. They are loaded. Minot and Grand Forks Red River should be the main challengers, but Grafton should be competitive because of Paul and Thomas Campbell, who are cousins. Grafton has a good PeeWee A team, but GF has a group called the Red Army that is good, and the Flyers are good.

I was suprised that that group from Fargo didn't make the Bantam A title game last year. Everyone was anticipating the big matchup between Minot and South, but it just didn't happen. I think South could possibly win the high school tourny this year. Central has beaten them twice but they have the defensive core to slow Central down. I'm hoping that Minot keeps it within 5 against Central.... :)

Grafton's Bantam A was horrible last year. The Fargo Flyers beat them 8-1 and 9-1 last year. The Flyers lost only 5 games last year, and in my opinion, is the best group in the State. However, they stumbled at State and lost to the GF Wheatkings after beating them 2 out of 3 times during the year. The Flyers finished 3rd. The Wheatkings has always been the nemesis, beating the Flyers 4-3 in the championship game at PeeWee A. That Flyer group has only lost to one ND team since Squirts, and that is Grand Forks.

My bad, I thought Grafton had a good group last year, they seem to have huge swings in youth hockey, nature of a small town I guess.

Is the Red Army team a AAA team? Does GF still have a Bantam AAA program? I know they started a bantam AAA team a few years back, watering down the Sugar and Wheat Kings.

I believe South's JV team was undefeated this year, including a win over Moorhead. They should catch North in State Titles the next couple of years, they only need one. W

Hopefully ND can work on keeping top players in HS - participating in Elite Fall league is a start. They need to increase the # of games played. I'm not saying they should play a 80 game junior like schedule, but they need flexibility in scheduling more games. I think 10 or 15 more is realistic.

My bad, I thought Grafton had a good group last year, they seem to have huge swings in youth hockey, nature of a small town I guess.

Is the Red Army team a AAA team? Does GF still have a Bantam AAA program? I know they started a bantam AAA team a few years back, watering down the Sugar and Wheat Kings.

I believe South's JV team was undefeated this year, including a win over Moorhead. They should catch North in State Titles the next couple of years, they only need one. W

Hopefully ND can work on keeping top players in HS - participating in Elite Fall league is a start. They need to increase the # of games played. I'm not saying they should play a 80 game junior like schedule, but they need flexibility in scheduling more games. I think 10 or 15 more is realistic.

I think the Red Army views itself as a AAA team, but I'm not sure that they are at that level. I saw them in Warroad and they are good, but not great. They did take the top kids that would have been on the Wheatkings and Sugarkings, and as a result, Grand Forks only has one PeeWee A team and it is horrible. Moorhead beat them something like 24-0. The Fargo teams have also beat them badly. The Red Army is not eligible to play in the State tournament and many teams will not schedule them.

Grand Forks still has Bantam A, and one of the teams is good. It is the team with the Lamoureaux sisters, Monique and Jocelyn. They are 1st year Bantams, and are still very good. They could easily win state.

Grand Forks still has Bantam A, and one of the teams is good. It is the team with the Lamoureaux sisters, Monique and Jocelyn. They are 1st year Bantams, and are still very good. They could easily win state.

I saw them play in the select tourny (boys selects). When I played youth hockey in Fargo the best player in the city was a girl until bantams when the boys caught up to her. The Lamoroux twins don't have the power she had, but they are incredible skaters and are still the best I've seen at their age. They could help the Sioux womens program in a few years, maybe even crack the olympic roster. I haven't watched girls hockey in a few years, so I'm not sure how much above other girls they are talent wise. However they are condidered to be among the best boys players their age (select invitations), so I'd assume they would be at a level above the other girls their age.

Skateshattrick: Your knowlege of area hockey is supreme, your presence humbles me.

And in the evening Session:

Red River 4 Hazen Buelah 0

Central 4 Minot 2

I thought it was a pretty good showing by the west region. Although Century got blown out in the third period they had their chances in the game against South, but South's goaltender played pretty well.

Central is dominant, I'm glad that Minot kept it to two goals! :glare:

Way to go Bismarck High!!!! I'll enjoy not seeing Grafton in the semis!!!

That Central vs. Red River game tomarrow night should be a good one. Central gives up more shots than last year, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict a Red River victory....... :glare:

not enough guns for RR - that's been their problem all year. The last regular season conference game was a fluke - Central was asleep at the switch. Gilbraith can be good in goal but he's no superstar (AND WHAT'S WITH THE HAIR??) Tarek will have the guys ready to go and it will be a good game but not particularly tight...Central 4-1 (empty netter for the fourth goal) No shame to RR but Central repeats as Champs vs. Fargo South...

not enough guns for RR - that's been their problem all year. The last regular season conference game was a fluke - Central was asleep at the switch. Gilbraith can be good in goal but he's no superstar (AND WHAT'S WITH THE HAIR??) Tarek will have the guys ready to go and it will be a good game but not particularly tight...Central 4-1 (empty netter for the fourth goal) No shame to RR but Central repeats as Champs vs. Fargo South...

RR has a good goalie, anything can happen with a hot goalie. RR already beat Central this year, I don't see them doing it again, but it would be nice to see. Think of what Central would be like if they had the other Lamoureux's and Simonson this year :p

I agree the west had a great showing. Jechort had a ton of chances against South, BC just didn't have the depth. South has 3 good lines and a solid D, their goalie is starting to come around after missing most of the season injured. I'm going to predict South over Central in the championship game 5-3. I saw South play Bismarck earlier this year, they dominated them, don't see Bismarck having much of a chance.

Minot had a very good showing, they don't lose too many Seniors and as noted before, they have a good group of 9th/10th graders. Minot could see their second championship game in the next couple of years.

Think of what Central would be like if they had the other Lamoureux's and Simonson this year :glare: 

I have to admit that I don't follow high school hockey as closely as many of you, but does it seem like a highly-skilled kid from Grand Forks is more likely to forego his last season or two of high school eligibility in order to play junior hockey than a comparably skilled kid from, say, Warroad, Roseau or Moorhead? If so, why would that be? I can think of numerous GF players who have left early over the past 20 years. I believe Steve Johnson was the first, and it really seemed to have started a trend. I don't know if the same can be said of some of the other hockey hotbeds in the area. Maybe there have been and I'm just not aware of them.