SiouxSports.com Forum

Where's JAKE?

SiouxMeNow

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that a guy named Jake Brandt played in both games during the Wisconsin series, which wasn't all that long ago. Someone wearing number 30 who looked a lot like Jake was on the bench during the CC series. Other than that, I have no idea where he might be.

How can you not play Brandt this time of year? Did he not win us big games in St Cloud, in Minnesota? From what I remember, he basically has won quite a few games for the Sioux! Jake is a big game player! The save he made in St Cloud has got to be one of the best I've seen ever! Sprawling on his back, and not giving up on the puck on a break!

From what I remember, Jordan got us a "tie" against Denver. What games has he come up huge in, that actually "won" the game for the Sioux? Sure he's played alright, but has not had that many "outstanding" nights like Jake has (IMO).

I thought splitting the games was bad enough, now only playing in a couple of the last 6 games? What is our record in the past 6-8 games?

I have stayed off this board for awhile, but it is getting a little funny,how all of you are wondering what happen to Jake. Lets start all over!!! DB sign Zach along with him came all of his SSM ( dads teams) teammates. Then Sedevie get his scholarship taken away because he hurt (Bemijdi State). Now DB signs JPar, is anybody starting to see a pattern here. Jake and JPAr split time early in the year. JPar is know the man. The only way Jake get another chance, is if JPar falls apart big time. Poster this is so cut and dry, say what you want and believe what you want this is a Praise show.

I have stayed off this board for awhile, but it is getting a little funny,how all of you are wondering what happen to Jake. Lets start all over!!! DB sign Zach along with him came all of his SSM ( dads teams) teammates. Then Sedevie get his scholarship taken away because he hurt (Bemijdi State). Now DB signs JPar, is anybody starting to see a pattern here. Jake and JPAr split time early in the year. JPar is know the man. The only way Jake get another chance, is if JPar falls apart big time. Poster this is so cut and dry, say what you want and believe what you want this is a Praise show.

I have to agree........

like it or not a "Parise factor"

Nice conspiracy theory, but I disagree.

The talk of "attitude" issues with JB surfaced near the start of his freshman year - long before Zach was enrolled at UND. I can't speak to whether there is any truth to the attitude talk, but I do know it was a discussion topic in 2001-02. Whether one thinks it is fair or not, it seems to me that Coach Blais has treated JB the same in each of his three years at UND, as one of a few goaltenders in the mix. Because one of them happens to have the last name Parise doesn't make it sinister.

As to recent play, I went back to the weekend that started the non-winning.

JB 31-33 W MN

JP 26-28 L MN

JP 25-26 W Denver

JP 30-31 T Denver

JB 23-27 L Wisconsin

----

JP 10-13 L Wisconsin

JB 8-9 L Wisconsin

----

JP 21-23 W CC

JP 16-20 L CC

I would grade those games like this (you know, 'cause I'm an expert):

JB Great

JP Great

JP Great

JP Great

JB OK - Because the mistake on the shorty changed the game

----

JP Poor

JB OK - Because the mistake killed hopes of a comeback

----

JP Good

JP Poor

After some sterling efforts, JP has had a few average (or worse) outings. I would expect JB to get in a game this weekend.

After some sterling efforts, JP has had a few average (or worse) outings. I would expect JB to get in a game this weekend.

I hope he does, and I hope he posts a shut-out. Then, if he get's pulled, I'll listen to more conspiracy theories...

(oh wait... he's already been pulled during a shut-out performance, hasn't he) :)???

The only way Jake get another chance, is if JPar falls apart big time. Poster this is so cut and dry, say what you want and believe what you want this is a Praise show.

J Par fell apart in Madison and he hasn't regained it yet. I don't agree with anyone that thinks he played great on Friday against CC. He made one good save and wasn't challenged any other time, with the exception of the goals. :)

As to recent play, I went back to the weekend that started the non-winning.

JB 31-33 W MN

JP 26-28 L MN

JP 25-26 W Denver

JP 30-31 T Denver

JB 23-27 L Wisconsin

----

JP 10-13 L Wisconsin

JB 8-9 L Wisconsin

----

JP 21-23 W CC

JP 16-20 L CC

I would grade those games like this (you know, 'cause I'm an expert):

JB Great

JP Great

JP Great

JP Great

JB OK - Because the mistake on the shorty changed the game

----

JP Poor

JB OK - Because the mistake killed hopes of a comeback

----

JP Good

JP Poor

Ok, well conspiracy or not, Jake has a certain "attitude" about him.....that's the way he plays the game! Goalies are a different breed! Bottom line, does it affect the team? I know he doesn't have THAT type of attitude!

Would you rather have a confident goalie that gets hyped up for games, or not?

I wouldn't have a problem with CB playing one goalie over the other IF that particular goalie was exceptional! JPar has not been that lately!

And I'll say it again.....How do you pull a goalie that has a shutout going LATE in the 3rd period?

If Jake would have been in net Saturday, and given up 4 2nd period goals, I can almost guarantee he would have been replaced! So what's the difference here?

One more note......

Jordan has played fairly consistent the entire season......he has let in some "weak" goals (IMO) all season, but the team has been scoring to counter act those goals! Big difference when we play the tough WCHA teams.....we aren't going to be able to score every night, although it would be nice.

Every WCHA team NEEDS to have a goalie step up and make a key "Big Save" that wins the game....not just keep you in it! That's where I see Jake has "won" some games....MN, SCSU....(IMO).

If Jake would have been in net Saturday, and given up 4 2nd period goals, I can almost guarantee he would have been replaced! So what's the difference here?

I wasn't at the Saturday game, (yes... the tickets were used) so I have no idea what happened inside the game. But I have to agree, no matter what circumstance, Jake would be gone with 4 goals in one period. How many shots were these 4 scored on, anyway? :)

Everybody seems to forget that shortly after Christmas Blais said he was looking for someone to be the #1 guy, and gave the first shot to Brandt. Who was average at Tech. Then Parise shuts them out the next night I believe. After that both goalies played pretty well. Parise definitely saved a point in the Denver series.

In my mind, Parise was taking over the top spot. Jake had his chance, only did ok. Parise got a chance and was rising to the challenge. Wisconsin comes and both struggled. Parise got one more chance against CC and was inconsistent.

I'm with jk, I would guess they'll both play this next weekend. I don't buy any of this baloney about Jake not getting a chance.

Jake could do a couple of things to clearly be the top goalie. #1 might be to stay out of offseason trouble and #2 might be to play consistently solid.

We can argue whether Jake is a better goalie than Jordan, but I don't think either goalie can make a winnable argument.

I wasn't at the Saturday game, (yes... the tickets were used) so I have no idea what happened inside the game. But I have to agree, no matter what circumstance, Jake would be gone with 4 goals in one period. How many shots were these 4 scored on, anyway? :)

I believe it was 4 with 10 shots total...minus the two in the first that means 4 goals on 8 shots... .500 SV%. Not exactly stellar.

Any one have the stats for Ziggy and JPar last year as both were in the USHL? I believe Ziggy had the better stats and was selected to the All-Star game while Jordan was not, I also believe Ziggy was named Goalie of the Month. I wonder why Jordan comes in and gets a shot and Deano puts "confidence" in him. I know it ain't cause he played better in practice. That excuse is getting old. :)

I can't really blame J. Parise for any of the goals scored on him in the second period on Saturday. They were the result of some of the worst defensive breakdowns I've ever seen the Sioux make. Once or twice in a period is forgiveable, but four times?

I consider the Saturday loss to CC a team loss, not a loss caused by poor goalie play. I felt the same way when the Sioux lost the Friday game at Wisconsin.

And I'll say it again.....How do you pull a goalie that has a shutout going LATE in the 3rd period?

This is ridiculous. You keep bringing this up as if to imply that DB pulled JB during a 2-0 game against a quality opponent, late in the season because of a some sort of miscue.

The reality is he pulled JB at the 51:24 mark after he made 10 saves against YALE on NOVEMBER 1 - he did it to give Ziggy some icetime in a real game, not to punish Brandt.

This is ridiculous. You keep bringing this up as if to imply that DB pulled JB during a 2-0 game against a quality opponent, late in the season because of a some sort of miscue.

The reality is he pulled JB at the 51:24 mark after he made 10 saves against YALE on NOVEMBER 1 - he did it to give Ziggy some icetime in a real game, not to punish Brandt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he played Parise after pulling Jake?

My point was not that he was punishing Jake, but it's more of the mind games.....that's like taking out a starting pitcher in the last inning, and replacing him with another starting pitcher!

Jordan has played fairly consistent the entire season......he has let in some "weak" goals (IMO) all season, but the team has been scoring to counter act those goals!

It appears that the team players harder for J Par because they know he can let in weak goals and that he can let in several goals with under 20 shots total. This is what happened with everyone's favorite goalie Kollar. Everyone played harder when he got in now and then. When Goehring left, look what happened. Now that the team is not always able to play as hard for J Par, he is sucking it up. I'm not saying that J Par will never get better, but he is nowhere near Brandt's talent at this point.

One more note......

Jordan has played fairly consistent the entire season......he has let in some "weak" goals (IMO) all season, but the team has been scoring to counter act those goals! Big difference when we play the tough WCHA teams.....we aren't going to be able to score every night, although it would be nice.

Every WCHA team NEEDS to have a goalie step up and make a key "Big Save" that wins the game....not just keep you in it! That's where I see Jake has "won" some games....MN, SCSU....(IMO).

You guys are harsh and have short memories. I am not advocating Parise over Brandt - I can't find anything that separates the two.

Just by the numbers, in the last four weeks that I outlined above, JP is .908 and JB is .899 in save percentage. If you go back another week, you get Brandt's 4 GA against MTU and JP's shutout.

JP made his first Big Save in his first game of the year, when UMD went in 2-on-0 against him at the end of the second period of a tight game, and came away empty. That was absolutely the "Big Save" to which you refer.

Has it been so easy to forget the big saves that kept the Sioux in the game against MN, with the same number of goals allowed as by Brandt the night before? The Saturday point against Denver belongs entirely to JP, just as JB won the game against SCSU.

JP has an .897 SP and 2.30 GAA as a freshman (.905 and 2.23 in the tough WCHA). That's great. I'm happy with him and with Brandt and I'm surprised anyone in looking at the whole season is having trouble with either. (For reference, JB is .898 and 2.35 overall, and .896 and 2.59 in the league.)