SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU AD in some trouble....

legend334

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing funny about the Fred Oien ordeal is that SDSU fans actually believe that, as Jackguy said, the Argus Leader, since it is owned by a USD alum, is blowing it out of proportion in order to stir up negative press while SDSU is in the midst of their move. "It is a personal issue and nothing the public should even worry about." The Argus Leader has run I believe 3 articles in the past week, causing this feeling of insecurity about the Argus, which they believe is anti-SDSU in the first place because of its ownership. It's really funny the conspiracy theories that NDSU and SDSU actually believe in, the kind of stuff that 10 year olds believe.

• 2 months later...
Oien pleads guilty to two misdemeanors according to this link, but it doesn't look like he's losing his job unless he screws up again. It's interesting to contrast Oien's situation with what happened to Bob Entzion and Larry Eustachy.

Truely unbelievable. Larry Eustachy is forced out because he partied with coeds at an opposition's frat house, later admitting he had an alcohol problem, nothing more. Bison Bob Entzion is forced to resign (or did he get axed??) for trying to get some homosexual lovin' in a park, nothing more. Fred Oien is finally charged with spousal abuse after it happening for years according to his wife, is an alcoholic who must now get treatment and also go to anger managment class, is charged in court and has his sentence plea bargained down, and he keeps his job. One of those three do not fit, and sadly it is the most criminal and socially unaceptable of the 3. Aparently South Dakota State has no university integrity at all. I can honestly say that if that was UND, and it was RT was facing the very same situation, I would be truely embaressed to have him act as my AD, nor would I want my daughter to perform under him as AD.

They have a press conference about Title 9 either Wed. or Thurs. You are right on about why Miller decides to leave a criminal in his job. She is scared to death her little brain child will blow up if he is gone. Also dead on about the promise not to move up unless a conference is found for all sports. (of which there will probabley be less of by the end of the week) I would be proud to have an alchoholic and wife beater as my A.D. Brookings must be the last Tombstone of our country. A city of no laws, where open containers and guns are the norm.

Let me give you folks an excerpt from the Executive Summary of the Carr Report (the Consultants) submitted to South Dakota State University:

The Consultants found a 17.7% difference between the 2000-2001 participation rate of women student-athletes and their enrollment in the student body. This difference, coupled with history that does not demonstrate a continuing practice of Athletic program expansion for women or one that proves that the interests and abilities of women have been fully and effectively accommodated, leads the Consultants to encourage SDSU to thoroughly assess it compliance with the Interest and Abilities component of Title IX.

SDSU is currently in compliance with Title IX as it pertains to athletic financial assistance. However, if the institution elected to maximize the number of football scholarships allowed for Division I-AA football, a comparable number of women

Brookings must be the last Tombstone of our country. A city of no laws, where open containers and guns are the norm.

This is a ridiculous statement. The city of Brookings arrested, charged and prosecuted Oien under its laws, but the city can't fire him. That's President Miller's job.

This situation is all about the politics of going DI. As an SDSU graduate, I am ashamed that my alma mater is allowing Oien retain his job under these circumstances.

I know many other SDSU alumni who aren't happy about the university's move to DI-AA. The situation with Oien certainly isn't going to improve support any.

women's hockey will be the demise of programs....it is the reason St. Cloud, and Mankato are in the trouble they are in right now...700,000 a year to run their program and its only going up with added scholarships and adding coaches and increasing current coaches salaries....when they draw 150 people to their game

legend: From the fiscal point of view, I can't disagree with you. Womens hockey doesn't cover their expenses at the gate. Personally, I think each program (mens baseball through womens basketball, all of them each individually) should have to cover its own way through gate revenues or donations. If they don't, they should be gone. Yeah, that's harsh.

However, womens hockey has to be per Title IX and the whole (the athletic department) has to deal with the total fiscal impact.

not really....when UND added women's soccer we were very very close to being in comliance with title IX....even whatever shortcomings that someone would have like to point out we were making progress towards being equal...and still are by adding scholarships to womens track and CC as well as soccer going up every year so the need to add hockey wasnt there and the people who were pushing women's hockey are no where to be found now?? i wonder if they even go to the games....the biggest problem is there are no feeder programs in ND for hockey so why start a collegiate sport?? the city of Grand Forks has only one women's hockey team and they want UND to have the sport?? makes no sense at all...talk about puttin the cart in front of the horse....perfect example here!!!!

not really....when UND added women's soccer we were very very close to being in comliance with title IX....even whatever shortcomings that someone would have like to point out we were making progress towards being equal...and still are by adding scholarships to womens track and CC as well as soccer going up every year so the need to add hockey wasnt there and the people who were pushing women's hockey are no where to be found now?? i wonder if they even go to the games....the biggest problem is there are no feeder programs in ND for hockey so why start a collegiate sport?? the city of Grand Forks has only one women's hockey team and they want UND to have the sport?? makes no sense at all...talk about puttin the cart in front of the horse....perfect example here!!!!

legend: I know we're way off subject (the bed SDSU has made for themselves), but don't forget the "interests and opportunities" angle of Title IX. Some of our regional peers may be reminded of it .... the hard way.

As far as feeders:

http://www.whockey.com/links/

http://www.gfparks.org/ndaha/

http://ndhsaa.com/athletics/hockey/2004_girls_st_HO.pdf

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/activitypage.asp?actnum=460

So SDSU really has added women's equestrian, and has not, yet, dropped a men's sport:

SDSU Adds Coaches, Scholarships, Equestrian

I am rather curious about the economics of equestrian. Who will they compete against? Minn-Crookston ( :sad:;) )has one of the few programs in this area, Kansas State has one and NDSU may be adding one. Since the competitors are the one who provide the horses and their boarding and maybe even the horses' transportation, this program has the potential to generate "cash" for the equine boarders (SDSU?) from the supposedly rich parents of the gals who will be on scholarship. Since the horses won't be getting free board (or tuition ), throwing a few scholarship dollars to equestrian may bring more benefits than costs to SDSU. Also, the demand for equestrian "slots" must be plenty high if the team is going to contain sixty (6 - 0) participants. Talk about helping out with Title IX! It also can't hurt in attracting more than a few rich gals with their rich daddies checkbooks.

I found this quote from the SDSU press release interesting and disturbing:

The improvements in women’s athletics since Oien became director of athletics include:

• added women’s tennis

• added women’s golf

• added full-time volleyball coach

• added full-time softball coach

• added full-time women’s assistant basketball coach

` • added full-time volleyball assistant coach

• added soccer in FY 2000

• added full-time women’s soccer coach

• added full-time women’s soccer assistant coach

• added a graduate assistant coach in the sports of soccer, volleyball, softball and women’s basketball

• added a part-time coach for women’s golf

• added a part-time coach for women’s tennis

• moved women’s scholarships from 28.5 in FY90 to 51 in FY05

• renovated locker rooms for women’s basketball, volleyball, swimming, softball, cross country, track and field

• developed soccer practice field

• cooperated with the city in the development of the Fishback Soccer Complex (began playing there last season)

• added assistant sports information director to cover women’s sports

• added two athletic trainers to increase sports medicine coverage for women

• added full-time senior women’s administrator

• adjusted all women coaches salaries to comparable status with men coaches

• improved travel, lodging, meals, promotion, etc, for women’s sports level with men’s sports

While I sincerely hope Fred can turn from his habits of the past, this has got to be one of the more disingenuous press releases I can imagine in an attempt to placate women's groups. It is like saying, "Yeah, look at all the good Fred has done for women (which have been mandated by Federal Law anyway), so Fred beating his wife really isn't that important in the scope of things."

Do SDSU fans understand that Fred is and will continue to be a major liability in their hope for any conference affiliation?

Finally, in the press release, it is stated that SDSU is going up to only 38 scholarships in football. Why not more, otherwise why even move up to Div I? Seems likely that at least one men's sport and probably two will have to be dropped in order for football scholarships to be increased. Dropping a men's sport now would cause too much of a firestorm.

In regards to the Equestrian team commits,

I believe that for its "meets" or shows, its the hosts schools responceablity to provide mounts for all riders, useally in some sort of lottery I believe. Most of those horses would be owned by the school, yet mostly cared for the Equestrain team and/or any vet school students that school would have. I do think that some schools would let you broad the riders personal horse at their facility as well, I just don't think they are allowed to use them in compation.

Your right about that release Star2city. "He may have beat his wife, but he is still a champion of equality for women." Which is greater, the injustice he has commited or the programs he has been forced to implement. On another note, at the baseball game last weekend against SDSU, a couple of players and fans were saying that that program will be gone in at most 2 years because of equestrian, and this was before the adding of equestrian was released (which was on Tues I believe). Someone could attempt to discredit the players and fans scredibility, but how then would they have known that equestrian was on the horizon?

The addition of 2 football scholarships seems to be the high for their additions scholarship-wise for next year.

For next year, the increases for women by sport will go like this:

Thanks, I was most curious about baseball, track and field, and the "olympic" sports. I would guess that both mens' and women's bball would ramp up to 13 and 15, respectively right away. It would only be an increase of 3 for the men and 5 for the women, and those sports should generate enough revenue to cover those increases.