SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU AD in some trouble....

legend334

I was not there so I don't know if Oien overeacted. I do know that Rich should have more comman sense than to be chatting with an opposing player 1/2 hour after a game in Brookings, that borders on tampering. I think the whole thing was blown way out of proportion. Now if he is guilty of spousal abuse that is another matter. I'm sure your headcoach has done some things that are not becoming a role model. Sounds like you are a perfect father and example to your kids. More power to you. The rest of us are mere mortals.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once again you misunderstood my point.....and why was it wrong for Coach Glas to ask him how he was doing?:) I dont claim to be a great father...but just think about it for a second how would you respond to your kids, or of Nagy or the AD's kid was standing there with him, how would they explain their actions???

a role model?:) jack?:lol:? in fact from what your prize recruit did say was that if he left SDSU it would be to go to Mankato St. where the coach who recruited him is now the head coach....so UND isnt and never was a a option....just coach Glas asking him how he was doing....Jack.

I was not there so I don't know if Oien overeacted. I do know that Rich should have more comman sense than to be chatting with an opposing player 1/2 hour after a game in Brookings, that borders on tampering. I think the whole thing was blown way out of proportion. Now if he is guilty of spousal abuse that is another matter. I'm sure your headcoach has done some things that are not becoming a role model. Sounds like you are a perfect father and example to your kids. More power to you. The rest of us are mere mortals.

I have to question whether or not you have ever stayed in an arena after a game is done. Players talk, coaches talk, coaches and players talk, it happens in football, basketball, baseball, everything. This is not tampering, it is called friendly comversation, comrodery. It was not blown out of proportion, there were many people there, we all saw the exact same thing, one man who very obviously has some anger issues that need to be dealt with going on a screaming, swearing tirade from the 2nd level of Frost, there is no possible way to confuse what went on there. Please investigate Rich Glas' record, you'll find nothing to suggest that he isn't a great man and role model, he doesn't hit women, get arrested, etc.

Your nonchalance toward the AD's issue is troubling, he may be a mortal, but most mortals do not hit their wives, and being accused of it on 2 seperate occassions tells me that there is a definate history in the abuse and it has occurred on more occasions then the 2 that have been reported, therefore I have no problem not taking the moral highground, my problems pale in comparison to this abusive man's. He has embaressed the university and the fantastic city of Brookings on a grand and public level, and this issue is, I think, much more serious then the Bob Entzion situation, he was only looking for a little sexual pleasure, not hitting women. There are going to be a lot of upset and embaressed Jack fans for the next coming weeks when this incident is brought up by fans every time their team steps on an opposing teams court.

I almost wonder if Oien is paranoid after the Mandy Koupal transfer from SDSU to USD. I have no idea why else somebody would freak out over a coach chatting with a player after a game, especially when there's absolutely no track record by Glas of tampering with opposing players, or any history of a transfer from another NCC school to UND for men's basketball. This whole thing is bizarre. I could care less if Nagy or any other coach was talking to Lindahl, Rypkema, etc. after the game on Saturday. If you're confident in your program, it seems to me you would have nothing to worry about even in the highly unlikely event that a coach did have unethical intentions (which I'm positive Glas did not).

Wasn't there a situation also with one of the current UND women's freshmen class, where she had gave SDSU an indication she was going there and pulled out and signed with UND.

Yes, that occurred after the Oien/Nagy/Glas incident. My understanding of it is that Lindsay Draayer signed an LOI with SDSU in the Fall of 2002. After that, her sister transferred from SDSU, and Lindsay apparently sought and received her Release from the LOI. She then signed with UND last spring. I don't believe it was ever explained in the Herald, but I know for a fact that she signed an LOI with SDSU (I remember reading the press release on the SDSU site), so they must have granted her request for a Release.

Doesn't seem to me that SDSU needed Koupal,Schooley or either of the

Draayer girls as last time I checked we won the National Championship

last year and are doing just fine this year. SDSU has plenty of talent on

both the womens and mens teams to win. Maybe the only thing we know

for sure about Glas is that he has failed to do much with all the talent he's

had in recent years. Maybe next year with SDSU gone you can win a coference

championship.

Nothing just responding to the posts above insinuating there is something wrong

with the womens program because of the transfers. Listen, I like Fred Oien I think he has done a lot of good things for SDSU. I stick by my guns that Glas has no

business speaking with a player on the opposite team 1/2 after the game. I will say it again the charge against him this week is a very serious matter and I'm sure if he is guilty it will have grave consquences for him.

with the womens program because of the transfers. Listen, I like Fred Oien I think he has done a lot of good things for SDSU. I stick by my guns that Glas has no

business speaking with a player on the opposite team 1/2 after the game. I will say it again the charge against him this week is a very serious matter and I'm sure if he is guilty it will have grave consquences for him.

Nobody has speculated that there's something wrong with the SDSU women's program. I merely speculated that the only possible reason I can think why Oien would freak out over something so seemingly innocuous is because SDSU has lost at least one high-profile athlete to another NCC school. If you have another theory, please feel free to share it because as Corella correctly pointed out, athletes and coaches from opposing schools do speak with each other after games quite regularly, and without officials from those schools having a fit about it. I see nothing wrong with what Glas did, nor would I have any problem with any of the SDSU coaches talking with any UND player after this weekend's game.

Where is the insinuation that something is wrong with the SDSU women's program? The fact was stated that 2 players transferred to USD, and that maybe Oien was paranoid about losing more players. If you think that he has no business talking to the opposition after the game as an opposing coach, you don't know what you are talkiing about. It happens after almost every single game everywhere in America, is it only unacceptable in Brookings where the angry AD runs the day?

You are trying to spin this to put fault on someone else when there is only one person who can be blamed. During Oien's initial loss of control, my friends and I were standing near an elderly gentleman with a SDSU sweatshirt on and what I would assume to be his wife. They had been talking to an SDSU player before the spaz attack, and we asked them immediately after if they had any idea what was going on, the gentleman told me that, and I quote, "no matter what occurred during the game or in the past, there is no reason for anyone let alone an athletic director to act like that in front of all these people. And many of them are parents who are now really embaressed, he just did a large disservice to everyone here, not to mention this," then he pointed at his navy blue sweatshirt that said SDSU in yellow letters. He went on to point out that he had been told that Jones wasn't too happy with his situation at SDSU at the time, something that I already knew, and that Jones was fond of Coach Glas, speculating that that may have been the reason for the outburst. I found out a few minutes later that this gentleman was almost exactly right in his assessment. Ray Charles could see who the problem was in that scenario, evidently some people ar blind to the truth and facts.

A little jumpy there JACKGUY, all I did was ask for details on the story. I never accused SDSU of anything. In fact I think most Sioux fans respect the SDSU program much more than NDSU's. I will miss playing them much more than the Bison....but settle down, one shouldn't be quite so cocky when comparing women's BB programs and titles with either ND school.

Honestly, my theory is UND was a player for Jones in the recruiting war. He chose SDSU and had great success his first year winning the Freshman of the year award in the NCC. His sophmore year was wiped out because of Mono. He also learned SDSU was intending to go DI and his family and himself evidently were not happy about it and were outspoken about it. This year he played well in the early non-conference and everything seemed fine until he was stricken with what was finally diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic with Lymes Disease and he is being treated with antibiotics and seems to be recuperating and may return by the end of the year. I think a lot of people were starting to question his mental drive and toughness until he was finally diagnosed this year. I really believe last year Jones mentally was getting frustrated about his inablility to get on the court. Nagy has called him the best player he has ever coached and he has coached some good ones. I think he could have played at a lot of DI schools but coming from a small community like Alpena he was confortable staying instate. I believe Nagy and Oien and are extremely protective of him based on all the things going on with Jones physically, mentally and the sensitivity of the move of the program to DI. Who knows while I know he can compete with other DI athletes he may decide he wants to transfer to Mankato or somewhere else that he can compete for a DII Championship. SDSU would obviously hate to lose him. Knowing what Jones was going through along with an overzealous father who has been critical of the DI move they saw Glas speaking with him and came to the conclusion that he was recruiting him all over again.

Jack...we will see how good the SDSU women's program is after the North Dakota trip....you will be lucky if you get a split....and it wont happen on Sat. night...that i can assure you.......so you better get your Win on Fri. night....hang your hat on the one natty that you got cuz its the last one your school will get!!!!!!!!

If you saw me talking with your wife, daughter,mother or grandmother yes that would be a safe assumption that I slept with them or was about too. Maybe I already have? A stupid comment gets a stupid answer. As for predicting victories especially on the road no I won't do that. I do know based on records you need the win more than we do. I would say are men are a lock for the regional regardless of what happens the rest of the way!

If you saw me talking with your wife, daughter,mother or grandmother yes that would be a safe assumption that I slept with them or was about too. Maybe I already have? A stupid comment gets a stupid answer. As for predicting victories especially on the road no I won't do that. I do know based on records you need the win more than we do. I would say are men are a lock for the regional regardless of what happens the rest of the way!

The record may indicate that UND needs more wins, but common sense indicates that UND and NDSU are in the best positions in the women's race. SDSU will lose 2 this weekend dropping below the Sioux in the region, St. Cloud will lose at least 3 of its last 4 at the ND schools and SDSU/Augie, dropping down as well. Meanwhile, UND and NDSU have a schedule that is screaming that both teams will run the table.

Ouch!! This Argus Leader article paints a pretty grim of what his marriage was. His wife has filed for divorce and Oien has had problems with "long-standing alcohol abuse, anger and arguments". Sounds like he very much lived 2 seperate lives. He has to lose his job, and it details how his reignation wasn't accepted. What kind of ship are they running down there?

Oien article

In an ironic twist, I don't know if anyone else caught it, but during warm-ups of the men's game tonight against SDSU, the SDSU coaching staff, which recruited Keith Parks, were conversing with him for a good 5 minutes. After the game, the shorter, shatty African American SDSU assistant was talking to him as well. Interesting to hear Jackguy's take on that. Must be tampering.