SiouxSports.com Forum

A C.C. Tiger fan's perspective.

Goon

I read this post over on the C.C. tigers fan message board and I found this post to be interesting. I think this puts UND's season in perspective. I have noticed a lot of negativity around the message boards this past week. So what we lost a game UND is not going to go 5-7 the last 12 games. Enjoy the season, enjoy the season.

Goon

you can't fix goaltending, nor a swoon. it sounds like Brandt and Parise (J) are both in a small cold streak, and they're juggling lines up front. I don't think a UND team is ever overconfident, so catching them out of sorts is probably a good thing.

Dangerous is cornered warrior(sorry about the play on words). UND undressed DU, and in every measure CC is about the 'same' team as DU in terms of talent and ability. UMD top players were able to just flat out outplay some of our centers when we went up there... and had the capacity to capitalize on our mistakes. Connor from MTU did the same. somehow the horses in Blais' stable seem to be faster, better, stronger than either of those teams.... caveat bengali.

CC's biggest enemy is itself. outside of maybe the UAA away series, it's been mistakes and breakdowns and bad luck that has caught the tigers.

If the D and G show up, and the Forwards can get 3 a game... CC can win both.

It's a tough rest of the season (I remember someone lamenting how soft the schedule is without MSU and UMN twice... well finishing with 1,2,3 and Denver has got to be as tough a finish as anyone could have).

But... The rest of the season is really just the next game... the one game at a time, one period at a time, one shift at a time mantra, is especially important the rest of this season.

you can't fix goaltending, nor a swoon.
6-3-3 since the start of the new year is a swoon? The Tigers are 6-6, which includes three wins over cupcakes.

it sounds like Brandt and Parise (J) are both in a small cold streak...

One bad game for each goalie is a cold streak? ??? I guess that's about as small as a cold streak could get. :silly:

...and they're juggling lines up front.

When is Blais not juggling lines?

read this post over on the C.C. tigers fan message board and I found this post to be interesting. I think this puts UND's season in perspective. I have noticed a lot of negativity around the message boards this past week. So what we lost a game UND is not going to go 5-7 the last 12 games. Enjoy the season, enjoy the season.

Perspective? What's that?

I have been shocked by the amount of negativity regarding last weekend's sweep. Was I happy about the sweep? Of course not. But is there a bigger picture? Absolutely.

I think what happens to fans in college hockey is the season is so short (at least compared to an NHL-length schedule), that each games becomes so much more magnified and it leads to panic.

Maybe this will help provide further perspective and rationale regarding a "swoon:" Just two short months ago the two-time defending NCAA champions were being written off because they crawled out of the starting gates. They righted the ship and are now as dangerous as any team in the nation.

Besides, historically the team that wins the McNaughton does not typically go on to win the national title. Given the choice between the two, which would you rather have as a Sioux fan?

I thought so.

Besides, historically the team that wins the McNaughton does not typically go on to win the national title. Given the choice between the two, which would you rather have as a Sioux fan?

I thought so.

I need another choice, like all of them.

Certainly, the national championship wins out. However, at this point in the season I (as a Sioux hockey fan) am focused on the McNaughton Cup. It is a prize which signifies excellence through out the regular seaon. One bad game will deny you the national championship. (but it certainly holds more prestige)

Naw all CC has is Sejna right!? :silly:

Seriously, if we play our game we won't lose. Plain and simple.

I was caught telling a buddy of mine that there are only two teams who could skate with the Sioux in the tourney: BC and Minnesota. No team in the east can hold a candle to BC (nor to the Sioux) Will we see both UM and BC in the NCAAs? Probably.

The victory will be much, much greater if we overcome our biggest adversaries to claim it.

Here's a bit of national press on this weekend's series

"No Rest for Colorado College"

By MARK SCHEERER

Published: February 11, 2004, New York Times

"It is as if someone took a broomstick to a hornet's nest under the eaves, as far as Colorado College Coach Scott Owens is concerned.

High-flying North Dakota was taken down twice, 4-3 and 5-2, at Wisconsin last weekend and was knocked out of the top spot in the U.S. College Hockey Online poll. And now Owens's Tigers have to venture into Grand Forks, N.D., and face the Fighting Sioux on their home ice in a weekend series.

"Oh yes, the second we saw the scores come across, we figured we couldn't have picked a worse time," Owens said in a telephone interview from Denver. "And I'm not just talking weather. But that's the way things worked out."

Owens had not seen a tape of Wisconsin's victories over North Dakota (19-5-3, 13-4-3 Western Collegiate Hockey Association), but he had looked at footage of North Dakota's games at Denver in late November.

"You know what?" he said. "They just kind of come at you in waves and they skate well and their transition game is just unbelievable.

"The only thing good I can say is at least we were able to win four of our last five games."

Colorado College (15-10-3, 8-10-2) had been hit by injuries and illnesses early in the season and had been without a couple of important players who competed in the world junior championships in Finland. A five-game losing streak in mid-January is, Owens hopes, the last of the team's troubles.

"We haven't been cohesive," he said. "We've had trouble putting the puck in the net. Some of that is youth and inexperience, and some of that is everybody getting their roles redefined."

The Tigers finish the regular season with series against Minnesota-Duluth, St. Cloud State and Denver, which all have better overall records than the Tigers.

"The good side is they are teams that will help our strength of schedule, and if we can win some of them, it will definitely help us in the PairWise," said Owens, referring to the power-ranking formula used to determine the at-large selections among the 16 teams for the N.C.A.A. tournament in March.

Naw all CC has is Sejna right!? :)

Seriously, if we play our game we won't lose. Plain and simple.

I was caught telling a buddy of mine that there are only two teams who could skate with the Sioux in the tourney: BC and Minnesota. No team in the east can hold a candle to BC (nor to the Sioux) Will we see both UM and BC in the NCAAs? Probably.

The victory will be much, much greater if we overcome our biggest adversaries to claim it.

I like your optimism, but I'm not sure that I agree. I think that there are 6 teams with a legitimate shot at the Frozen 4: UND, UM, UMD, BC, Maine and Michigan. Apparently, Miami is also playing well, so they may have an outside chance. Wisconsin is a good young team and has good goaltending, but I think that they are a year away. You can never count out New Hampshire either because they are well coached and have very good goaltending.