SiouxSports.com Forum

Babe Ruth Baseball

darell1976

I was wondering if anyone has either done this or know someone who has/is played Babe Ruth baseball? My son is 8 and is playing ball for the Park District which is a good learning tool (no keeping score, 6 strikes, no three outs etc), but I think he is ready for competitive baseball. My neighbor has done Babe Ruth with all 3 of their sons and said they like the competitiveness of it.

I was wondering if anyone has either done this or know someone who has/is played Babe Ruth baseball? My son is 8 and is playing ball for the Park District which is a good learning tool (no keeping score, 6 strikes, no three outs etc), but I think he is ready for competitive baseball. My neighbor has done Babe Ruth with all 3 of their sons and said they like the competitiveness of it.

Here's a link for you to check out. Your son will be Cal Ripken which is a great league and is fun for kids learning the game. My son played all the way up.

http://www.gfbaseball.org/

We live in Fargo, so it won't be gfbaseball. He can't wait til next season, he's competitive.

Well...so much for that...Fargo has a website also...he will still be Cal Ripken and Fargo has a good BB program. Not sure but also check out fall ball.. I know they had it a few years ago for 12 year olds. And he could move up for that. Even check to see if he could jump on a team right now. Never hurts. If I remember right a lady runs the league and she's awesome with putting information out there.

Well...so much for that...Fargo has a website also...he will still be Cal Ripken and Fargo has a good BB program. Not sure but also check out fall ball.. I know they had it a few years ago for 12 year olds. And he could move up for that. Even check to see if he could jump on a team right now. Never hurts. If I remember right a lady runs the league and she's awesome with putting information out there.

Also....enjoy it now as it's a blast. Next year there's an all star team for your son in Fargo for 9 year olds so that'll be something for him to shoot for.

Also....enjoy it now as it's a blast. Next year there's an all star team for your son in Fargo for 9 year olds so that'll be something for him to shoot for.

I hope he enjoys it. I think he is getting a little bored with the park district with the everyone bats in one inning, and there is no keeping scores or stats (although I have been keeping track of his stats and through 3 games he is batting .800 with 4 doubles and 1 RBI, the most bases they can get at 1 at bat is a double), so I figure competitive baseball like Babe Ruth would be good for him.

I hope he enjoys it. I think he is getting a little bored with the park district with the everyone bats in one inning, and there is no keeping scores or stats (although I have been keeping track of his stats and through 3 games he is batting .800 with 4 doubles and 1 RBI, the most bases they can get at 1 at bat is a double), so I figure competitive baseball like Babe Ruth would be good for him.

This may be the site you are looking for. It appears to be the next step up from Park Board. http://www.fargoll.org/

Also, don't keep track of his stats. He is 8. He will find out you are doing it and start to think he needs to get hits, etc. Worry about that when he gets to Legion.

• Upvote 1

This may be the site you are looking for. It appears to be the next step up from Park Board. http://www.fargoll.org/

Also, don't keep track of his stats. He is 8. He will find out you are doing it and start to think he needs to get hits, etc. Worry about that when he gets to Legion.

I live in Minot and this is my son's second year of Cal Ripken. It's a fantastic program. My son's far from being an all star but is competitive and does ok. It starts at 9 though, so your son might be out of luck until next year.

http://fargobaberuth.hardballsystems.com/ This is what I found.

HA!!! At legion you don't have to keep track of your sons stats....the other parents do it for you and then chatter about how their son is getting jobbed : ) Gotta love the parents!!! I was once told in mite hockey to enjoy these times as they're the best because as your son gets older and it's more competitive the parents get more difficult. Wow is that an understatement.

I also agree with the other comment...don't keep track of hits etc. as the kids know and they'll let you know how they did each game. Also don't keep track of goals, or yards, catches etc. It's all fun...enjoy the ride!! I've got 3 years left then we'll see what happens.

This sounds very similar to Cal Ripken baseball. When I clinked on the link one of the Fargo tournaments had a Minot team participating, which has to be one of the Minot Cal Ripken teams. It's cool they start at 7 years old; is it coach pitch at that age? I'd definitely sign your kid up.

Edit: After further perusal of the site, one of the links takes you to the North Dakota Cal Ripken Association, so it sounds like the two leagues are basically interchangeable.

This sounds very similar to Cal Ripken baseball. When I clinked on the link one of the Fargo tournaments had a Minot team participating, which has to be one of the Minot Cal Ripken teams. It's cool they start at 7 years old; is it coach pitch at that age? I'd definitely sign your kid up.

Edit: After further perusal of the site, one of the links takes you to the North Dakota Cal Ripken Association, so it sounds like the two leagues are basically interchangeable.

It's a pitching machine which is probably better than the underhand slow pitch from the park district guy that happens now. I found out another kid on his team is also going out for Babe Ruth next year so he'll know one kid. I help him practice and he likes to go see the FM Redhawks. I told him to watch their stance at the plate and to see where they line up on the field. Future Travis Hafner!!