SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey Team

dagies

While up in GF we had a chance to take in part of the women's game against Findlay on Sat. We couldn't stay for the whole game but got to watch a period of play. I have to say it was pretty good. It's not the same speed as the men's game but for less knowledgeable hockey fans like myself it was a bit easier to see the plays develop and what the teams were trying to accomplish on the ice.

Some of those women can really play too.

But I was surprised at how quiet the crowd was. There were only a few hundred people there on Sat. We tried to get the "Let's Go Sioux" chant going but there were only about a half-dozen of us that wanted to play along. Was surprised that no one seemed like they wanted to get involved. Would have been fun to get the crowd revved up and making noise. I suppose it wasn't necessary as the women went on to beat Findlay for their 6th straight win.

Anyway, good job for the women's team. Their winning streak was snapped Sunday in a 3-1 loss to Findlay, but they are really coming on. Best of luck to them.

Some of those women can really play too.

Anyway, good job for the women's team. Their winning streak was snapped Sunday in a 3-1 loss to Findlay, but they are really coming on. Best of luck to them.

My favorite player is #11 Jess K. she is the "Commie" of the women's team! :huh:

I think that the Sioux women's team will do just fine as they develop over the years. The coaching staff seems to be solid and the facilities will, of course, speak for themselves.

I've been to a game at REA, where some goalie named Maggie stood on her head to beat Mankato in a low-scoring game. At the time, Mankato was ranked. Back in November or so.

Then, we went to Ridder Arena, where the #1 Gophettes pounded the Sioux 10-1. Maggie was not in goal.

Recently, Mankato beat the Gophettes at Ridder, 3-2.

Proof that anything can, and often does, happen in hockey.

I have gone to these games largely for the benefit of my young daughter. I was surprised at the poor turn-out at the REA, only about 200 fans. Then again, Ridder had only about a thousand.

The quality of play is solid. Takes awhile to get used to the no check rule.

What surprised me most is that the women's programs do NOT list the weights of the players. Name. Height. Grade. Hometown. Position. No weight!

What's with that? Does Title IX permit such a thing? Some woman asked me why it is important that I know the weights of the players. I told her because they are athletes, and that as a fan I like to think that I can judge the size of players from a distance, and that weight does come into play, to a small degree perhaps, in assessing strength, speed, and agility.

Oh well. Enough of the women's hockey talk from over here. Maybe someday soon there will be a separate thread for this. Until then, because the game is here to stay, I think that we should all throw our support to the Sioux women whenever and wherever we can, eh?

I was also at the game on Sat. Someone pointed out how #7 skates exactly like BB. You have to see it, she looks exactly like him out there. If she would have ripped off 90mph snapshots I would have thought BB glued on a ponytail and decided to get some extra ice time w/ the women.

My favorite player is #11 Jess K. she is the "Commie" of the women's team! :huh:

I don't remember which player it was but one of the Sioux women got a penalty for "body checking" which I thought really added to the game because I like a more physical contest.

So I yelled out "GOOD FOR HER!"

Man, the accoustics in that place are pretty good. That echoed around pretty good in there!

What surprised me most is that the women's programs do NOT list the weights of the players. Name. Height. Grade. Hometown. Position. No weight!

One of the key things to staying alive in this world, is you never ask a woman's weight. Ever. :p

I'll bet you spend alot time alone. ;):huh:

True. True. Who cares. It just frosts my nipples to know that, as a paying spectator, I must rely on my x-ray vision to assess the weights of the gladiators in the colliseum. I oughta be able to get that info out of my $3.00 program at the Ridder. At least at the Ralph, the women's programs, every bit the equal of the men's programs but for the poundage stats, are free.

Does anyone know why they don't allow checking? Is it a chest region issue? It's not as if there aren't small men players that could be hurt. Big people hit, small people duck.

I think its becuase some of them grew up with checking (playing with the boys) and some didn't. It's to protect the ones who didn't as they aren't used to that style of play and don't know how to take a check.