SiouxSports.com Forum

1988-1989 North Dakota Fighting Sioux vs Moscow Dynamo

MafiaMan

From the media guide: http://issuu.com/undathletics/docs/2013-14_mhky_mg_low_res/1?e=1294848/5258848

December 18th, 1988

vs. Moscow Dynamo

L (5-7)

This game immediately followed a two-game home series vs. Colorado College on December 16th and 17th, which the Sioux swept 3-2 and 5-1.

I don't think I went to this game, but I remember seeing commercials on WDAZ Channel 8 promoting it.

From the media guide: http://issuu.com/und...1294848/5258848

December 18th, 1988

vs. Moscow Dynamo

L (5-7)

This game immediately followed a two-game home series vs. Colorado College on December 16th and 17th, which the Sioux swept 3-2 and 5-1.

I don't think I went to this game, but I remember seeing commercials on WDAZ Channel 8 promoting it.

I was at the game...looked like a blow-out at the start...Justin Duberman scored four goals in a losing effort...was trying to find out some of the names of the players on the Moscow Dynamo roster. Didn't realize that Vladimir Myshkin from the 1980 Soviet Olympic team was still around playing at the time for Dynamo. Also trying to find some pictures and see what jerseys MD was wearing.

I was at the game...looked like a blow-out at the start...Justin Duberman scored four goals in a losing effort...was trying to find out some of the names of the players on the Moscow Dynamo roster. Didn't realize that Vladimir Myshkin from the 1980 Soviet Olympic team was still around playing at the time for Dynamo. Also trying to find some pictures and see what jerseys MD was wearing.

I was there. I think if I looked in the back of the closet I have a Dynamo jersey from when they were here.

I also was at this game. I believe that Mike Lamoine scored a goal for the Sioux. i also watched the Dynamo team at their morning skate. They had all kinds of little skills drills going on all over the ice. At the end of the practice, one of the coaches blew his whistle and gave one of the players the puck bag and pointed at all the pucks on the ice. The player picked up all of the pucks while his teammates exited the rink.

I also was at this game. I believe that Mike Lamoine scored a goal for the Sioux. i also watched the Dynamo team at their morning skate. They had all kinds of little skills drills going on all over the ice. At the end of the practice, one of the coaches blew his whistle and gave one of the players the puck bag and pointed at all the pucks on the ice. The player picked up all of the pucks while his teammates exited the rink.

I remember watching their practice as well. They did drills with tennis balls, kind of like a keep away type drill with 1 guy in the middle of the circle. Amazing hands!

I also remember them lining up in a semi-circle in the zone, each guy with a puck and the goalie in net. Typically you'd see a team do this and they go from guy to guy shooting on the goalie as a warmup drill. Not these guys - they all shot the puck at the goalie at the same time!

Looks good.

These training methods reminded me of when the Ukraines came to GF to train us and play our all star teams. The kids were literally forced to train year round....they looked miserable, although they were very good. Later it came out that they were abused by their coach. Pretty unfortunate.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Ray77 and YaneA for their efforts and help in finding some information about the UND/Dynamo game. I was able to come across two game photos (one of BC vs Dynamo) and one of UND vs Dynamo (thanks, YaneA, for that one). Both show the "home" teams wearing their road jerseys while Dynamo was wearing white jerseys. Pretty interesting stuff. YaneA even came up with pre and post-game articles from the Pioneer Press and Star Tribune, respectively.

Below is the pre-game Gopher/Dynamo article from the 12/13/88 St Paul Pioneer Press...

Section: Sports

GOPHERS FACE REAL RUSSIAN DYNAMO

Mike Augustin, Staff Writer

The University of Minnesota hockey team faces its toughest opponent of the season today at 7 p.m. when it meets Soviet Dynamo at Mariucci Arena.

The Dynamo team, which has dominated the early portion of its tour through the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, sports five members of the team that won the gold medal at the 1988 Olympics.

The Gophers, 14-4 against college opposition, have one U.S. Olympian - Dave Snuggerud.

But the imbalance is far greater than a handful of Olympians.

"The Dynamo is one of the two or three best teams in the top Soviet league," Minnesota coach Doug Woog said. "It is probably better than all but the elite NHL teams."

The Dynamo is certainly better than the teams it has faced on the current tour. It has beaten Denver 10-3, Colorado College 9-4, Minnesota-Duluth 9-3 and Peoria of the International League 6-2. The Soviets played at Michigan Tech on Monday night.

Woog was asked if the exhibition game tonight will be a learning experience for his WCHA-leading Gophers.

"Hopefully, we won't try to learn while the game is going on," Woog said. "I hope we don't just stand around and watch."

The Gophers could be excused if they did just that. After Duluth's loss on Sunday night, Bulldogs forward Sandy Smith said, "I can't speak for everyone, but I was in awe at first. They moved the puck so fast. I can see how they are frustrating to play against. If they see something they don't like, they turn around and start over. ... They aren't about to give up the puck."

The Dynamo, who took a 4-0 lead halfway into the first period, eventually outshot Duluth 45-25.

Woog said they are just as effective on nights when they don't get many shots. "I've seen quality Soviet teams get fewer than 20 shots and win 5-1," Woog said. "They make everything count."

The best player on the team that plays in Mariucci tonight is expected to be Olympic center Sergei Svetlov. The goaltending is divided between Mikhail Shtalenkov and Andrei Karpin.

Because the game is not governed by NCAA rules, Woog can dress more than his normal complement. He plans four lines and four sets of defensemen. Jeff Stolp will start in goal in place of injured All-American Robb Stauber.

"We'll substitute in sets of five," Woog said. "We'll experiment a little with different systems with the different fivesomes. It should be fun. I just hope it (the score) doesn't get out of hand."

The sets of five for Minnesota will be defensemen Randy Skarda-Dave Espe with a line of Jason Miller-Snuggerud-Brett Strot; defensemen Lance Pitlick-Brett Nelson with Scott Gernander-Grant Bischoff-Peter Hankinson; defensemen Todd Richards-Tom Pederson with Jake Enebak-Jon Anderson-Ben Hankinson; and defensemen Luke Johnson-Larry Olimb with Cory Laylin-Dean Williamson-Lance Werness.

The Dynamo plays at Wisconsin on Thursday night and at North Dakota on Saturday. The Gophers' next action is Saturday and Sunday in a tournament at Anchorage, Alaska.

Thanks to Ray77 and YaneA for their efforts and help in finding some information about the UND/Dynamo game. I was able to come across two game photos (one of BC vs Dynamo) and one of UND vs Dynamo (thanks, YaneA, for that one). Both show the "home" teams wearing their road jerseys while Dynamo was wearing white jerseys. Pretty interesting stuff. YaneA even came up with pre and post-game articles from the Pioneer Press and Star Tribune, respectively.

Below is the pre-game Gopher/Dynamo article from the 12/13/88 St Paul Pioneer Press...

Section: Sports

GOPHERS FACE REAL RUSSIAN DYNAMO

Mike Augustin, Staff Writer

The University of Minnesota hockey team faces its toughest opponent of the season today at 7 p.m. when it meets Soviet Dynamo at Mariucci Arena.

The Dynamo team, which has dominated the early portion of its tour through the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, sports five members of the team that won the gold medal at the 1988 Olympics.

The Gophers, 14-4 against college opposition, have one U.S. Olympian - Dave Snuggerud.

But the imbalance is far greater than a handful of Olympians.

"The Dynamo is one of the two or three best teams in the top Soviet league," Minnesota coach Doug Woog said. "It is probably better than all but the elite NHL teams."

The Dynamo is certainly better than the teams it has faced on the current tour. It has beaten Denver 10-3, Colorado College 9-4, Minnesota-Duluth 9-3 and Peoria of the International League 6-2. The Soviets played at Michigan Tech on Monday night.

Woog was asked if the exhibition game tonight will be a learning experience for his WCHA-leading Gophers.

"Hopefully, we won't try to learn while the game is going on," Woog said. "I hope we don't just stand around and watch."

The Gophers could be excused if they did just that. After Duluth's loss on Sunday night, Bulldogs forward Sandy Smith said, "I can't speak for everyone, but I was in awe at first. They moved the puck so fast. I can see how they are frustrating to play against. If they see something they don't like, they turn around and start over. ... They aren't about to give up the puck."

The Dynamo, who took a 4-0 lead halfway into the first period, eventually outshot Duluth 45-25.

Woog said they are just as effective on nights when they don't get many shots. "I've seen quality Soviet teams get fewer than 20 shots and win 5-1," Woog said. "They make everything count."

The best player on the team that plays in Mariucci tonight is expected to be Olympic center Sergei Svetlov. The goaltending is divided between Mikhail Shtalenkov and Andrei Karpin.

Because the game is not governed by NCAA rules, Woog can dress more than his normal complement. He plans four lines and four sets of defensemen. Jeff Stolp will start in goal in place of injured All-American Robb Stauber.

"We'll substitute in sets of five," Woog said. "We'll experiment a little with different systems with the different fivesomes. It should be fun. I just hope it (the score) doesn't get out of hand."

The sets of five for Minnesota will be defensemen Randy Skarda-Dave Espe with a line of Jason Miller-Snuggerud-Brett Strot; defensemen Lance Pitlick-Brett Nelson with Scott Gernander-Grant Bischoff-Peter Hankinson; defensemen Todd Richards-Tom Pederson with Jake Enebak-Jon Anderson-Ben Hankinson; and defensemen Luke Johnson-Larry Olimb with Cory Laylin-Dean Williamson-Lance Werness.

The Dynamo plays at Wisconsin on Thursday night and at North Dakota on Saturday. The Gophers' next action is Saturday and Sunday in a tournament at Anchorage, Alaska.

Are you able to post the game photos you came across here?

...and the 12/14/88 article from the Star Tribune...note the section in red and how this squad pretty much lit-up the WCHA...Dynamo player Alexander Semak (Devils, Islanders, Lightning, and Canucks) went on to play in 289 NHL games, scoring 83 goals and winding up with 91 assists, while teammate Nikolai Borschevsky played 162 NHL games (primarily with the Maple Leafs), scoring 49 goals and totalling 73 assists.

How cool would it be to tell your friends that you scored a goal against the guy who gave up the game-winner to Mike Eruzione at the 1980 Olympics? I honestly had no idea Vladimir Myshkin was on the Dynamo team when they came to Grand Forks. Still waiting for the box-score from the game against the Sioux, but I highly doubt Myshkin played in that game since he had just played in Minneapolis a couple of days earlier.

Section: SPORTS

`U' skaters slow Soviets, but lose 6-2

John Gilbert; Staff Writer

The Gophers got a lesson in high-tempo hockey Tuesday night, and they passed the test on it, even while losing 6-2 to Moscow Dynamo at Mariucci Arena.

It was the first time the touring Dynamo squad, which is second in the Soviet Union's 14-team Elite League, was held under nine goals by the five WCHA teams it has faced. It scored 10 each against Denver and Colorado College and nine each against Minnesota-Duluth and Michigan Tech.

"We didn't embarrass ourselves and it was a good learning experience," Gophers coach Doug Woog said. "I wish there had been a bigger crowd because this is the kind of hockey that's fun to watch."

The Gophers scored first when co-captain Dave Snuggerud buzzed around defenseman Vasily Pervukhin and beat former Olympic goaltender Vladimir Myshkin. Then Miskhat Fakhrutoinov scored two goals, the first late in the first period and the second shorthanded in the second as Dynamo took a 3-1 lead. But Ken Gernander cut it to 3-2.

"Wasn't that a great goal?" Woog said. "Todd Richards to Peter Hankinson, who one-touched it to Kenny and he slammed it home."

The Soviets, who also got goals from Alexander Semak, German Volgin, Yuri Leonov and Vladimir Zubrilchev, pulled away, but were impressed with the Gophers.

"Maybe we were too tired from previous games, but this may be the strongest of the teams we have faced so far," Dynamo coach Yuri Moyseyev said. "We liked this team (the Gophers) because they had good sporting discipline."

In joking about his team's failure to score during the first 18 minutes last night, Moyseyev said, "This was our third game in three days and it was hard for us to play good from the beginning. We had an eight-hour bus trip (from Houghton, Mich.) today and we thought the game was at 7 o'clock instead (of 7:30, so) we began playing late."

Gophers goalie Jeff Stolp made 28 saves, many of them tough ones. He had no chance, however, when Yuri Vozhakov shot from the right point and Miskhat Fakhrutoinov deflected the shot with his stick blade into the roof of the net.

Semak's shot around the left corner circle eluded everybody. He then cruised to the net, holding the puck for a late shot at 1:58 of the second period as Stolp fell to the ice.

Nikolai Borschevsky dashed in at Stolp one time, and without breaking stride, dropped the puck back from his stick, kicked it from his left skate to his right and back up to his stick for a one-time shot. The whole sequence didn't take more than a half-second.

"I missed that one," Woog said. Lucky for him, Stolp not only saw it, he made the save.

In the third period, even the goal judge failed to see the puck when Zubrilchev took a drop pass at full speed, cut from the right side to the slot and rifled a shot into the upper right corner and immediately back out. Referee Buzz Christensen saw it and the goal made the score 6-2.

"I think I'm probably not going to be playing in any Olympics," Jake Enebak said. "Ben (Hankinson) and I were kind of sitting there scratching our heads. This was too fast."