SiouxSports.com Forum

Chris Porter

schmidtdoggydog

Porter has proven to be a very solid player. He is one of those guys who hasn't grabbed all the headlines, but has played a key role on this team.

Couldn't agree more. One thing I've noticed is that, though he isn't the dynamic goal scorer that Parise is, I think he works just as hard as Parise does whenever he steps onto the ice.

He is very fast to the puck and not afraid to throw his weight around. Not the natural power forward like Stafford is, but very solid. Hockey Future gave him an overall rating of 2. I am thinking that will rise if he continues to work this hard.

As it stands right now, Porter is in my top 4 fave freshmen behind Murrayand Stafford. Smaby is the fourth.

I think Porter is a great "lunch pail" forward. He works hard every game, and he's not afraid to go after the puck and people to get the job done. He doesn't get the "press" of Murray, Money, ZParise, etc., but he's still a very valuable "character player" that every team needs.

Porter seems to be doing a real nice job. His speed and physical play, coupled with good decisions with the puck and the ability to bury it from time to time have really made him a very good contributor. I'm very impressed with him this year. He's certainly exceeded what I expected of him. Of course, all I had to go on was statistics from the USHL.....

Porter is a huge asset to this team. Only guy stronger on his skates is Stafford, who is a veritable ox. Fast one at that.

It is guys like Porter, and about 12-14 other similarly situated teammates, those who get less press but are there day in and day out, shift on and shift off, who will determine whether this damned fine team will in fact become a great team.

Porter, and a whole raft of his teammates, are good enough to be the big stars with many other programs. Their reward for skating under the radar here will, hopefully, come in April, and in several more Aprils to come.

The first time I really watched Porter play was I think Nov. 7th against MN (it could have been a game or two earlier) ...I was not very impressed - He seemed a stride behind and made a number of bad decisions... Since then, he has proven that my initial impression was incorrect over and over again. He is physical. He has a good sense of how a sequence will evolve on the ice and, therefore, is around the puck and in the play - much like ZP (who is involved in almost everything that occurs during his shifts). I am a big supporter Porter. He has improved noticeably over the season - wait 'til he has another year or so under his skates...

Oh yeah, how about BB's goal on Friday. What a quick shot. The poor goalie admitted that he didn't even see the puck. I was in a bar in Mpls and I wasn't sure I was going to make it to my car....LOL...

Only guy stronger on his skates is Stafford, who is a veritable ox. 

While I agree that Stafford and Porter are both strong on their skates, I still feel Prpich is the leader in that category, however, Porter and Stafford seem to have more speed than Prpich.

The first few times I saw porter play, I thought, "Why weren't more people talking about this kid"? He is one hell of a forward if I do say so myself, and he is going to be a great asset to this team over the next few years.

The problem with UND hockey is that the team is too deep. And because of this some forwards like Porter, go unnoticed to media and to many fans. Porter is one hell of a player that has size and an unteachable work ethic. Some forwards have found UND a hard place to play because all of a sudden the leading scorer of the USHL is a third liner and they can't handle it. Case in point Fournier, Connely (spell check) but then the guys like Fylling and Porter and Palmiscno, who all work their asses off everyday for Blais are goin to be rewarded this year with a National Championship ring.

Porter is a workhorse, last year he played in 59 out of about 60 games for Lincoln. Johnson sat him towards the end of the season to give him some rest before playoffs, basically a reward for playing so well, but Chris took it as a benching. Coach didn't think he would take it that way so had to explain that in this situation it's was a good thing. Chris has a great work ethic which I'm sure you all have noticed.