SiouxSports.com Forum

The Dynamics of Higher Ed

UNDvince97-01

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/280425/

Here is a perfect example of higher ed "criteria" and PC run amok.

Despite the reviews of her co-workers, colleagues and immediate superior stating otherwise, the dean recommends a promotion and tenure instead of solving 'problems' the correct way. Then the President reaffirms the decision to allow the professor to seek tenure.

It's obvious the decision wasn't based on common sense or the information that's available, but rather the superceding wisdom of "the criteria" put in place.

I wonder how many successful businesses in the private sector operate this way?

"Don't fire her, just give her a promotion, pension and more money...."

I think you have this all wrong. This professor is loved by her students, did everything a professor is supposed to do to earn tenure (teaching, research, service) and went above and beyond in those areas. But because she wouldn't go along with the group-think of the department and kiss everyone's arse, most of them wanted to get rid of her so that they could continue with the status quo. This is why you have a grievance process to correct problems like this. Maybe this department needs a shake-up from "outsiders" like this to better serve our students, which is why UND exists in the first place.

As for the holier-than-thou private sector being merit-based and objective in hiring and promoting, that is pure fantasy. There is just as much (if not more) cronyism and nepotism in the private sector as anyplace else. Lots of ignorant jerks get promoted up the chain of command because their rich uncle or daddy owns the company or is chairman of the board and people dare not fire him or her. There are a lot of family-owned businesses that employ the son-in-law that couldn't get a job anyplace else (if you get my drift).

The process worked the way it was supposed to at UND in this case. The department will get over it or they can just get different jobs.

• Upvote 1

This professor is loved by her students

Well unless she's writing her own reviews, this appears true at least.

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1331327

Some workplaces can be so childish and vindictive, although it is poor form on her part to not show up for team meetings (but for all I know, she may have only missed one and had a good reason for it).

Well unless she's writing her own reviews, this appears true at least.

http://www.ratemypro...jsp?tid=1331327

Some workplaces can be so childish and vindictive, although it is poor form on her part to not show up for team meetings (but for all I know, she may have only missed one and had a good reason for it).

Academia is very much like this. I think 95% of the people at UND are great to work with and be around. But it's those 5% that spoil it for everyone else. And even the best faculty members can get petty and childish about some of the smallest, most inconsequential things. I think this happens because in academia, everyone assumes a certain ownership of their work, it is very personal to them. Whether it is their research projects, their manuscripts, their service projects or the classes they teach, there is a lot of "themselves" in their work. So any attacks (real or perceived) on the "ownership" of their work are met with fierce resistance.

This case seems to be more about a complacent workplace that is not happy someone has entered it and shaken things up. Maybe these people can learn something from this person instead of trying to get rid of her.

http://www.dakotastudent.com/1518/news/mosher-hearings-remain-undecided/

Mosher’s behavior hasn’t been a problem for students in the French program. According to the committee’s discussion, the amount of French minors has stayed the same since Mosher was hired, but the amount of French majors is now four times larger.

Tough to determine causation or correlation, but it certainly appears she hasn't been detrimental to the expansion of the French program.

Academia is very much like this. I think 95% of the people at UND are great to work with and be around. But it's those 5% that spoil it for everyone else. And even the best faculty members can get petty and childish about some of the smallest, most inconsequential things. I think this happens because in academia, everyone assumes a certain ownership of their work, it is very personal to them. Whether it is their research projects, their manuscripts, their service projects or the classes they teach, there is a lot of "themselves" in their work. So any attacks (real or perceived) on the "ownership" of their work are met with fierce resistance.

It doesn't help that most PhDs have an inflated opinion of their own self-worth. It has to be difficult to work together when everybody thinks they're the smartest person in the room.

“I support Dr. Mosher’s promotion to associate professor and tenure because she has met or exceeded the requirements for research, teaching, and service stated in the ‘Languages Department Expectation and Evaluation Policy’ document,” Storrs wrote.

I wonder if the service aspect of the job includes advising graduate and undergraduate students? Sometimes it includes that along with service to the community, or in the case of the flagship university - the state/region/ and..or nation?

Just throwing it out there. Perhaps if she was advising students, they may have went to the dean and argued for her retainment?

“I support Dr. Mosher’s promotion to associate professor and tenure because she has met or exceeded the requirements for research, teaching, and service stated in the ‘Languages Department Expectation and Evaluation Policy’ document,” Storrs wrote.

I wonder if the service aspect of the job includes advising graduate and undergraduate students? Sometimes it includes that along with service to the community, or in the case of the flagship university - the state/region/ and..or nation?

Just throwing it out there. Perhaps if she was advising students, they may have went to the dean and argued for her retainment?

I think, if I remember right, that other professors were unhappy over the amount of grad students she was advising. She was, they claimed, poaching their grad students. She had a lot of students that she was advising, That was part of the jealousy issue they had. She was too well liked by the students.

I think, if I remember right, that other professors were unhappy over the amount of grad students she was advising. She was, they claimed, poaching their grad students. She had a lot of students that she was advising, That was part of the jealousy issue they had. She was too well liked by the students.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for clueing me in!

I have to admit, that as an undergrad at UND, I don't even remember who the heck my advisor was!

But with U of Wyoming grad school, I keep my advisor's email email address and we give each other professional updates in our field. The dude knows his stuff and is fun to correspond with!

Too liked? Well, tough crap for those other professors!

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for clueing me in!

I have to admit, that as an undergrad at UND, I don't even remember who the heck my advisor was!

But with U of Wyoming grad school, I keep my advisor's email email address and we give each other professional updates in our field. The dude knows his stuff and is fun to correspond with!

Too liked? Well, tough crap for those other professors!

Heck I never even knew who my advisor for undergrad was suppose to be. I had a real nice lady named Brenda in the dean's office who was my de facto advisor. She knew probably more about the ins and outs of the AS College than anyone. I would go and see her before signing up for classes and see if my schedule would work. She knew what I needed to take and what i din't need.