SiouxSports.com Forum

Wanless may be under fire at Sac State...

WYOBISONMAN

UND hockey generates more revenue through ticket sales and concessions than all NDSU sports combined. Evidently somebody must care.

Yeah, the city of Grand Forks cares, they're the morons who pay an arm and a leg to watch.

You'er simply lucky that Englested gave you the arena or you'd be slowly climbing out of a $100 million hole.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UND hockey generates more revenue through ticket sales and concessions than all NDSU sports combined. Evidently somebody must care.

maybe/maybe not... An interesting website to check out university revenues is

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/Search.asp

you can search for a school and it will give you their fiscal info..

NDSU football brought in 1.2 million vs 1.1 in expenses

UND football brought in 450K with expenses of 860K

All other UND sports including Hockey brought in 855K... hockey has no individual data "cell" as fb and bb do

however much of UND's revenue is not allocated by sport (I am assuming alot came from Hockey)

Actually, I have heard/been told on many occasions that hockey made between $3-4 million last year.  Swygy was also talking about it during the basketball game in St. Cloud, how suddenly St. Cloud, Mankato, and Omaha have a lot more athletic money then they have in the past on the sole basis of having good hockey crowds.

I would say that's probably about right. It's hard to know exactly how many of the average of 10,700 people (average hockey attendance this year) are non-students, but if we conservatively estimate 7500, and a season ticket price of $345.00 (not including the FSC fee), that's about $2.6 million right there. Concessions at REA have got to bring in huge $$$, as well. I would think anywhere from $3 million to $5 million is realistic.

the max revenue for hockey in 03 could be just under 4.8 mil

You're figuring just ticket sales.

Did you forget that to have four seats in the lower bowl of REA you have to join the Fighting Sioux club at the Coaches Club level ($1100 per year)?

Four in the lower at REA:

$1100 FSC membership

$345

$345

$345 * 2/3 (Coaches club discount)

At that, the per seat price for over half the lower bowl jumps to $562.50.

You have to be a FSC member for most of the upper also, but not at the $1100 level, but there is no "club level" seat price discount up there either.

UND hockey is the UND Athletics cash-cow.

Alternatively, imagine trying to fund a football program with just one home gate.

i may have missed this in an earlier post, but how much is it for a suite in the REA for a year? i have heard some numbers in the past, but i want to see how they compare to what everyone else has heard. The cost for an organization to have a suite is very high. anyone who knows, please share.

You're figuring just ticket sales.

Did you forget that to have four seats in the lower bowl of REA you have to join the Fighting Sioux club at the Coaches Club level ($1100 per year)?

Four in the lower at REA:

$1100 FSC membership

$345

$345

At that, the per seat price for over half the lower bowl jumps to $562.50.

You have to be a FSC member for most of the upper also, but not at the $1100 level, but there is no "club level" seat price discount up there either.

UND hockey is the UND Athletics cash-cow.

Alternatively, imagine trying to fund a football program with just one home gate.

I am not doubting the UND hockey is a cash cow I know it is... but did you read the official report UND gave to the government?

in 03 they had total revenues of 6.35M

183k from M BB

179K from WBB

446K from FB

759K from other womens sports

total from these sports = 1.567M

therefore total revenue 6.35M

substract revenue attributed to non men's-hockey sports 1.567M

6.35-1.567= 4.783 or as I said... just under 4.8 million... so in theory UND men's hockey could have made as much as 4.8 million (probably less because other sports do have sources of revenue :( and booster money cannot all be attributed to UND hockey). Therefore unless UND's athletic department is filing false reports.. they could not have made more than 4.8M off hockey.

I'd guess your hockey numbers are right there.

But how much did the Fighting Sioux Club, a body outside of UND Athletics reporting-wise, make? Those numbers don't get reported directly with the ones you quote (because they aren't UND Athletics).

But the bigger question is this: Why are you arguing about how much money hockey makes for UND when it is clear that UND Hockey alone generates more revenue than all of Bison Athletics? The $4.8MM number you will even go with is roughly 3/4 NDSU's entire athletics budget!

Food for thought:

2002-2003 Academic Year NCAA Total Attendance Numbers (may be differences in number of home games):

School MBB FB WBB Hockey Sub-total

UND: 47,924 56,930 38,497 256,591 399,942

NDSU 48,770 63,721 44,885 000,000 157,376

It takes money to play; money comes in through the gate first.

But how much did the Fighting Sioux Club, a body outside of UND Athletics reporting-wise, make? Those numbers don't get reported directly with the ones you quote (because they aren't UND Athletics).

But the bigger question is this: Why are you arguing about how much money hockey makes for UND when it is clear that UND Hockey alone generates more revenue than all of Bison Athletics? The $4.8MM number you will even go with is roughly 3/4 NDSU's entire athletics budget!

Food for thought:

2002-2003 Academic Year NCAA Total Attendance Numbers (may be differences in number of home games):

UND: 47,924

Edited by somebison

I do not have any idea how revenues from the Ralph are reported but I know the cost of each suite is $20-30,000 per year and the cost of providing each suite with food and beverages on any given night can run between $250 - $1,500 (many suites are routinely in the $750 - 1,000 range per game). Obviously, this is all not profit but there is a nice margin built in. This income from 48 suites (most of which are occupied each game), along with concession income from the other thousands of people attending every hockey game, amounts to a great deal of $.

I would guess that this is not reported an income directly attributable to hockey but it does filter back to the Athletic Department.

Food for thought:

UND: 47,924 56,930 38,497 256,591 399,942

NDSU 48,770 63,721 44,885 000,000 157,376

It takes money to play; money comes in through the gate first.

We also have boosters that don't report.

however wouldn't fighting sioux club/teammakers money etc be under be classified under revenue not allocated by sport as the money raised is given to the athletics dept. causing it to be classified as "revenue"?

That would be my quess. And it would be wrong to attribute every FSC dollar to hockey. However, you must take into account that the contributions to UND that come from REA are net figures, not gross. And since REA is an entity distinct from the university, its revenue would not be included in the figures reported. If you factor in the gross revenue that REA gets from hockey (suite and club seat rental, concessions, merchandise, etc), it would certainly add at least $2-3 million in revenue. I don't know if this would be enough to make hockey a bigger revenue generator than the entire NDSU athletic department, but it would be close.

suite is 25,000 for a business to get it, a case of beer for example if 40.00....i have heard that next year hockey is raising ticket prices and propably suite prices, since basketball will be playing all or most of their home games in the areana, i am guessing up to 35,000 or 40,000.....just a guess....i aslo heard coach Blais isnt happy about the raise in prices, since the arena is technically sold out....but seats are still available...interesting side note....

Empty "sold" seats really bother me. Give them away to a friend if you can't use them. I'm a yet to not be able to find someone willing to use a ticket.

Admittedly, there's another "hidden" problem within this "empty seats" realm that even Blais would probably admit: For a lot of those empty seats the season ticket holders are there but are up in the Club Rooms or in a friend's suite (drinkin' their $40 a case beer). :):(

another deal most people dont know about is the amount of money UND athletics pays the REA...money up front as well as rental to use the REA each month for hockey...as well as REA getting half the ticket sales..so i would venture to say after all is said and done...UND is getting a raw end of the deal in the exchange....again...my opinion....life was so much easier in the old barn......gotta feeling life will be much much different with volleyball and hoops moving to the Ralph....

another deal most people dont know about is the amount of money UND athletics pays the REA...money up front as well as rental to use the REA each month for hockey...as well as REA getting half the ticket sales..so i would venture to say after all is said and done...UND is getting a raw end of the deal in the exchange....again...my opinion....life was so much easier in the old barn......gotta feeling life will be much much different with volleyball and hoops moving to the Ralph....

Help me out here: Which of that is fact and which is your opinion?

Mr. Engelstad explicitly stated he built REA to benefit Fighting Sioux Hockey and UND Athletics. So why exactly would REA charge them to use the facilities built for them?

REA charges UND because they are a privately run business....someone earlier asked to see the books that REA has...come on...yeah right.....do you think he mad millions of dollars without being able to shade the books how he wants...he can make it look like he made a million or lost a million....a lot like farming...you can write off a ton of capital equipment...cost....all of it

Here is another great one.....basketball, men's and women's and volleyball need to fund raise their money for their locker rooms as well as their offices....guess 8 million doesnt go too far huh....