SiouxSports.com Forum

What's in the cupboard?

geaux_sioux

I think I know. Its the easiest year.

Since when do they go to position meetings as freshman? Do they go to special teams meetings also?

You are so wrong it is laughable. The first six months playing football at UND is very difficult. I know from experience. It isn't the least bit fun. But it teaches you a great deal about what it takes to be great.

You are so wrong it is laughable. The first six months playing football at UND is very difficult. I know from experience. It isn't the least bit fun. But it teaches you a great deal about what it takes to be great.

I should clarify my point was about the football end of things, as I pointed out. But, if you want to dive into the sociological aspects of it then I guess it can get tough for some. I was talking about football.

I personally found it to be by far the easiest year - football wise. Years ago freshman did not attend position meetings, in-season, or special teams meetings. That is a big amount of time. 'They also got out of various conditioning, although they had morning weights.

Everyone has their own opinion on what is stressful and what isn't.

Any freshman worth his salt should partake in the conditioning at the end of practice with the rest of the team. It's another opportunity to get better. Those that did were and probably still are ahead of the game.

By the middle of the season, when the coaches tell the freshman to "get outta here, you're done for the day", you run like a madman to the locker room.

Personally, during my freshman year the only thing I was "worried" about was where I was going to get my next beer. :bigsmile:

Interested to hear what parts of football you found to be very difficult during your freshman season?

By the middle of the season, when the coaches tell the freshman to "get outta here, you're done for the day", you run like a madman to the locker room.

Personally, during my freshman year the only thing I was "worried" about was where I was going to get my next beer. :bigsmile:

I never missed a post practice conditioning session as a fr or any year for that matter. It's where you win in the 4th quarter.

When our freshman class was told we could leave for conditioning because we performed well in scouts, we all ran for the hills yelling and screaming like lunatics.....

In fact in all of my years in the UND Football program, I don't ever remember a freshman staying for conditioning when they were told they could leave. Maybe it's just because I am getting old and have a bad memory. ???

Freshman year is hardest mentally and socially and easiest physically.

EDIT: sorry for interrupting.....continue thread drift

The difficult thing about the first year athletes in my opinion are in the details... You are getting adjusted to being away from home... Getting up early and working your A** off at weights... Getting to Class... Etc... My time was in the early 2000's FWIW...

As for the difficulty of running a scout O or D... Very simple... You look at a card that the coach holds up and you do that... Pretty Simple...

Also... I agree with Vince... As soon as they said get out of here you ran as fast as you could...

I will say this... Working out in the morning when a freshman, while this is very difficult... It is where you can see who will be the leaders of each class. It becomes very clear early on who wants to be there and who doesn't...

I remember a guy while doing conditioning and literally walking out crying out in the hall because they didn't want to be there... So difficult Mentally and Physically... The coaches want it that way. Just in a different way than an upperclassman...

BTW That guy quit later that day...

freshman do not attend any sort of meetings during the season other than mandatory team meetings. study table is easy to get done because you can chip away at the hours thoughout the week while in between classes. most classes that freshman take are easy, freshman year classes. freshman are excused from conditioning if they give good looks in scouts. morning workouts are Tuesdays and Thursdays which are grueling. Fridays they have a workout while the upperclassman are traveling to an away game. they also lift sunday evening. freshman weights is only hard if you have guys who skip reps, have a bad attitude, or someone gets in trouble over the weekend.

not saying that freshman year is easy, because having to adjust to something completely new is difficult, your first year typically isn't as hard on your body as the other years.

I think I know. Its the easiest year.

Since when do they go to position meetings as freshman? Do they go to special teams meetings also?

Freshman year is the hardest, but it does feel nice getting a small break during road games. I always attended all position meetings at UND, it wasn't an option.

I should clarify my point was about the football end of things, as I pointed out. But, if you want to dive into the sociological aspects of it then I guess it can get tough for some. I was talking about football.

I personally found it to be by far the easiest year - football wise. Years ago freshman did not attend position meetings, in-season, or special teams meetings. That is a big amount of time. 'They also got out of various conditioning, although they had morning weights.

Everyone has their own opinion on what is stressful and what isn't.

Must have been a lot of years ago!